[SOLVED] No 8 pin connector on power supply

Apr 16, 2020
I am making a computer starting off with a Dell Optiplex 9020. I got a new power supply but I forgot to check if it has the 8 pin connector to the gpu. So now I am stuck with a gpu, and a power supply. I heard something about a molex to 8 pin adapter, but I don’t know how to use them and I know nothing about them. What should I do?

Solution
Do you know any cheap PSU

I would never recommend a cheap PSU.

You need to buy a PSU of decent quality PSU, with specs that match your hardware requirements.

That doesn't mean you have to buy an overpriced PSU, but there are PSUs that are of reasonable quality and performs well and doesn't cost a fortune.

What is your budget for a new PSU? What country are you located in?

Don't go too cheap when buying a PSU, it will spare you a lot of headaches and problems in the long run.

Corsair offers a few decent PSUs which are also resonably priced, but the best model to go with currently, I'm not completely sure - some of the other users know what would currently be the best recommendation in their sleep :)
It is highly recommended that you never use any kind of adaptor for powering the graphics card.

When a power supply doesn't have the required connectors, it is an indication that it is not sufficiently powerful, it is of poor quality or very old (sometimes all three)

You should buy a PSU of good quality, with the required performance and the connectors you need to power your specific computer

Reactions: King_V

I would never recommend a cheap PSU.

You need to buy a PSU of decent quality PSU, with specs that match your hardware requirements.

That doesn't mean you have to buy an overpriced PSU, but there are PSUs that are of reasonable quality and performs well and doesn't cost a fortune.

What is your budget for a new PSU? What country are you located in?

Don't go too cheap when buying a PSU, it will spare you a lot of headaches and problems in the long run.

Corsair offers a few decent PSUs which are also resonably priced, but the best model to go with currently, I'm not completely sure - some of the other users know what would currently be the best recommendation in their sleep :)

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
But is there a way I could use a molex adapter to plug into the graphics card?

NEVER, EVER do that. It is a fire hazard.

You want a PSU to be of high quality - it is a matter of electrical safety. First, you need to figure out how much wattage you need - that requires knowing all the components (what CPU, what video card, how many RAM sticks, how many fans, how many hard drives and optical drives, etc)

Then once an appropriate wattage is determined, a good quality PSU should be purchased that meets it. Note that the EFFICIENCY (Bronze, Gold, etc) is NOT the same as QUALITY. There are a lot of crap PSUs that manage to be efficient out there.

My budget is around 35-40 dollars.

Depending on what hardware you have, that's almost guaranteed NOT to be enough.

Falkentyne

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
My budget is around 35-40 dollars.

Hello,
A computer is similar to a human "Cyborg." Or a human with augments.
It basically consists of a brain, a heart, and a neuro-skeletal system. This makes up a computer.

What is the most important part of a human being?
The heart.

The power supply is the heart. It is what delivers the electricity that every other part of the system needs to operate on. Just like the human heart delivers blood to all parts of the body.

Therefore, the PSU is the MOST important part of your system!

Everyone overlooks this. People are always looking at cases (you don't need a case to use a computer if you're careful), monitors and the vitrol-filled CPU wars (AMD vs Intel) and the flavor of the month motherboard and graphics cards. But a PSU is only given a passing glance--"buy just slightly more watts than you need", etc.

However the PSU should be your MOST important part that you research for your system! The PSU has to deliver steady, high quality voltage to the motherboard so the VRM's can feed the CPU and components what they need. A low quality PSU can not only make your video games crash and shut off, but it can even start a fire!! That's right..a bad PSU has a bigger chance of burning itself out AND killing your CPU and motherboard than anything else! And under worst case conditions, can cause a fire.

You do NOT want a gutless wonder powering your expensive and valuable computer system!

A high quality PSU has protection components in it that will not only detect faults in the motherboard, like surges and short circuits, and not power on if something is completely out of spec, but if a high quality PSU fails badly, it has a MUCH higher chance of the protection mechanism tripping and shutting it off, without sending 12v to your expensive CPU and destroying it. So it pays to do your research and buy a high quality model. High quality doesn't mean tons of watts. If you are only pulling 500 watts, you do not need a Corsair AXi AX1600i (probably the best power supply on the market), which is a 1600 watt unit. A high tier 650-700W unit will work just fine (just don't buy a 500 or 550W unit--you're cutting it WAY too close and efficiency drops off HARD that close). But please--expand your budget (may be hard in quarantine times) and maybe do without for awhile, until you get enough saved. Do NOT skimp on the PSU. Low end CPU's and video cards can be upgraded. Generally speaking, you want to get a decent motherboard and high quality PSU, then decide on RAM, CPU and video card support for it.

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
So I should get at least a 600W psu?

I don't know yet, as I don't know what CPU your system has - however, it is not JUST about wattage rating. It is also about the quality of the PSU itself.

I have 16 gb of ddr3 ram, asus geforce gtx 760, and 1 terabyte . what else should i find out to get the wattage

And what CPU do you have?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
So, for power:
  • CPU -> 84W, but figure worst case it might run as high as 110W
  • GPU -> 170W, but figure worst case it might run as high as 200W
  • Everything else (hard drive, motherboard, RAM, maybe optical drive, a few fans) -> 100W

You will probably never actually quite hit that number, but 410W.

I would suggest 550W would be just fine. What country are you buying in?