[SOLVED] no access to second M2 card

garryash

Distinguished
May 16, 2012
Just bought a tailor made desktop with operating system on an M2 card. I now want to put my old M2 card (previous "C" drive) in the second M2 slot but although its recognised in BIOS it does not appear in the list of drives when I exit BIOS and the PC starts. The firm that built the basic PC ( Case, MOBO, memory, M2 card as the "C"drive ) assured me that it would defualt to the "new" C drive in the M1 slot and I would have no problems putting the old card in the M2 slot. Anyone any ideas please. Thanks in anticipation.

Solution
MOBO Asus Rog Strix Z490 F Gaming / "c" drive (new) 1Tb Intel 665P M2 NVME Pcie SSD - Intel i7-10700K 3.8Ghz 16Mb cache. 64Gb Vengeance 3600 memory. Old "C" drive SSD - WD Blue SATA SSDM2 2280. Hope this is helpfull !
OK, the WD Blue will only work in the M2_1 port.
The Intel 665p can work in either M2_1 or M2_2.

1 x M.2_1 socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
1 x M.2_2 socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)

The OS is on the 660p? And it will remain there?
The WD Blue is to be just a secondary drive? (After deleting all its...

USAFRet

Titan
MOBO Asus Rog Strix Z490 F Gaming / "c" drive (new) 1Tb Intel 665P M2 NVME Pcie SSD - Intel i7-10700K 3.8Ghz 16Mb cache. 64Gb Vengeance 3600 memory. Old "C" drive SSD - WD Blue SATA SSDM2 2280. Hope this is helpfull !
OK, the WD Blue will only work in the M2_1 port.
The Intel 665p can work in either M2_1 or M2_2.

1 x M.2_1 socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
1 x M.2_2 socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)

The OS is on the 660p? And it will remain there?
The WD Blue is to be just a secondary drive? (After deleting all its old contents, right?)

Solution

garryash

Distinguished
May 16, 2012
Contents not deleted as have all my save games on there and the guy building it said the new one would be recognised as "C" drive and I would be able to access everything still on the old one!

USAFRet

Titan
Contents not deleted as have all my save games on there and the guy building it said the new one would be recognised as "C" drive and I would be able to access everything still on the old one!
Which are you referring to as "the new one"?

The system came with the Intel 665p, Windows installed on that. Correct?
You have a WD Blue from a different system, that had/has an OS on it, from that older system?

That WD Blue will NOT be seen as the C drive.
Whatever drive the system boots from will be the C. Other drives and partitions will have different drive letters.

Hoping that this new system boots from the old WD Blue with the old OS is simply wishful thinking.
If your builder guy said it WILL boot up from that..or it would be seen as a SECOND C drive...he is woefully mistaken.

Additionally:
You can access the contents of the old drive. BUT, anything contained in the Libraries /Documents/Music/Pics/etc., will involve TakeOwnership. Those library folders carry permissions from the old user in the old system.
Also, any applications on that drive Will Not Work.
Steam games you can probably make to work. But any regular application...no.

garryash

Distinguished
May 16, 2012
Which are you referring to as "the new one"?

The system came with the Intel 665p, Windows installed on that. Correct?
You have a WD Blue from a different system, that had/has an OS on it, from that older system?

That WD Blue will NOT be seen as the C drive.
Whatever drive the system boots from will be the C. Other drives and partitions will have different drive letters.

Hoping that this new system boots from the old WD Blue with the old OS is simply wishful thinking.
If your builder guy said it WILL boot up from that..or it would be seen as a SECOND C drive...he is woefully mistaken.

Additionally:
You can access the contents of the old drive. BUT, anything contained in the Libraries /Documents/Music/Pics/etc., will involve TakeOwnership. Those library folders carry permissions from the old user in the old system.
Also, any applications on that drive Will Not Work.
Steam games you can probably make to work. But any regular application...no.

Thanks again for quick reply. All I want to access are the saved game files. This includes the maps I have made. Worse case scenario I will have to make some more maps!!

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks again for quick reply. All I want to access are the saved game files. This includes the maps I have made. Worse case scenario I will have to make some more maps!!
Assuming you have the drives in the proper ports, and the WD Blue is accessible as the D or E drive, you should be able to navigate through that drive and locate your game resources.
Then, you copy that data to the Intel and integrate it in your game scenario.
If you run into a permission (Access Denied) issue, this is when "TakeOwnership" comes into play.

garryash

Distinguished
May 16, 2012
Assuming you have the drives in the proper ports, and the WD Blue is accessible as the D or E drive, you should be able to navigate through that drive and locate your game resources.
Then, you copy that data to the Intel and integrate it in your game scenario.
If you run into a permission (Access Denied) issue, this is when "TakeOwnership" comes into play.
No drives other than the C drive are viewable! Both drives are M2 cards.

USAFRet

Titan
No drives other than the C drive are viewable! Both drives are M2 cards.
As noted, the WD Blue MUST go in the M2_1 port.
It is a SATA drive, and only the M2_1 port is SATA capable.

-------------------------------
-------------------------------