[SOLVED] no air coming out of new cpu cooler.

Sep 12, 2020
cpu is at around 50 - 53 degrees under stress and the fan is spinning but I can't feel any air coming out of the cpu cooler. is that ok? I have an i7-4770 and a coolermaster hyper 212 spectrum cooler and one chassis fan.

Solution
but it's spinning. heard that asus mobos check for the rpm too not only if it's spinning or not
Most fans will not even start if there is insufficient voltage to run the fan at 500 rpm.
No doubt different motherboards have different methods to verify that a cooler is present.
Some might not even bother.
The cpu cooler blows air down on to the cooling radiator so you may nnot feel air moving. If you feel on the sides by the radiator you should feel the air a bit. If the fan is moving and you temps are cool enough it's doing its job.
The Hyper 212 heatpipe/radiator is a stand up design. The radiator is not directly attached to the CPU so, at higher fan RPMs, the OP should be able to feel some air moving if they put their hand behind the radiator.

OP, make sure you have the fan pushing air through the radiator, not sucking air through. Also, you may not have enough static air pressure to feel anything at low RPMs. Wait till you stress the CPU a bit and the fan spins up faster to check. Of course, always monitor your CPU temps to make sure it's not getting too hot.

50c. under stress is quite good. No worries there.
If anything, 50c. sounds suspiciously low for under stress.
How are you measuring it?
Try HWmonitor.
It will tell you the temperature as well as the speeds of all of your fans.

For a tower type air cooler like the hyper212, it should be oriented so that the airflow is from front to back and out the back rear exhaust fan.
A similar front intake fan is needed to supply the cooler with fresh air to let it do it's job.
Two is better if you need to cool a graphics card.

If your hands are not that sensitive to airflow, dangle a tissue to verify airflow direction.

Sep 12, 2020
50c. under stress is quite good. No worries there.
If anything, 50c. sounds suspiciously low for under stress.
How are you measuring it?
Try HWmonitor.
It will tell you the temperature as well as the speeds of all of your fans.

For a tower type air cooler like the hyper212, it should be oriented so that the airflow is from front to back and out the back rear exhaust fan.
A similar front intake fan is needed to supply the cooler with fresh air to let it do it's job.
Two is better if you need to cool a graphics card.

If your hands are not that sensitive to airflow, dangle a tissue to verify airflow direction.
gonna do that now. sorry for the late reply. what software would you suggest for stress testing? also the cooler is not detected in the bios. it's an asus h81m-k

Sep 12, 2020
The Hyper 212 heatpipe/radiator is a stand up design. The radiator is not directly attached to the CPU so, at higher fan RPMs, the OP should be able to feel some air moving if they put their hand behind the radiator.

OP, make sure you have the fan pushing air through the radiator, not sucking air through. Also, you may not have enough static air pressure to feel anything at low RPMs. Wait till you stress the CPU a bit and the fan spins up faster to check. Of course, always monitor your CPU temps to make sure it's not getting too hot.
I don't think I have a radiator

You are good.
Stress testers are just that, they stress the processor in various ways to heat it up.
Prime95, OCCT,CPU-Z, intel burn test, all stress in different ways.
Unfortunately, none use the same instructions that your apps may use.
The best tester is YOUR apps.

Sep 12, 2020
You are good.
Stress testers are just that, they stress the processor in various ways to heat it up.
Prime95, OCCT,CPU-Z, intel burn test, all stress in different ways.
Unfortunately, none use the same instructions that your apps may use.
The best tester is YOUR apps.
exactly that's what I mean. like the most intensive thing I use is red read redemption 2 and it doesn't go over 60 degrees at all times. so I guess I shouldn't be worried about the cooler not being detected in the bios or the chassis fan? it certainly cools the pc surprisingly well. or that I don't feel air from the front of the cooler.

Your motherboard has no idea what cooler you are using.
It can not detect a cooler directly.
It only knows if a fan connected to the CPU fan header is spinning.
If the connected fan is not spinning, the motherboard will think that no cooler is installed and may not boot to bios.

Sep 12, 2020
Your motherboard has no idea what cooler you are using.
It can not detect a cooler directly.
It only knows if a fan connected to the CPU fan header is spinning.
If the connected fan is not spinning, the motherboard will think that no cooler is installed and may not boot to bios.
but it's spinning. heard that asus mobos check for the rpm too not only if it's spinning or not

The fan minimum start voltage is a function of the fan, not the psu.
The motherboard will certainly deliver sufficient power to the cpu fan header.
If the fan is securely plugged into the header, the fan will start unless it is defective.
Visual inspection with the case side off will verify that the fan is running.
Some fans will actually run at 300 rpm so it is possible that asus considers this to be insufficient and checks for 500 rpm.
You could get a 300 rpm fan speed if you connected with a low noise adapter.
It seems to be a moot point since everything has started up.

Sep 12, 2020
The fan minimum start voltage is a function of the fan, not the psu.
The motherboard will certainly deliver sufficient power to the cpu fan header.
If the fan is securely plugged into the header, the fan will start unless it is defective.
Visual inspection with the case side off will verify that the fan is running.
Some fans will actually run at 300 rpm so it is possible that asus considers this to be insufficient and checks for 500 rpm.
You could get a 300 rpm fan speed if you connected with a low noise adapter.
It seems to be a moot point since everything has started up.
it does start up however I used to get a cpu fan error on boot. had to go into the bios and tell it to ignore cpu fan rpm.

Latest posts