no alert from windows messenger if window is focused

hey all,
my comapny recently switched to LCS/Windows Messenger. Since I use a
switchable monitor hooked up to my PC and Sparc I need to be alerted to
new IMs. This is standard with every other IM client I have ever used
except Window Messenger. If a chat window is the focused window on my
PC and I have switch the monitor or am not looking then new IMs do not
generate an alert sound. However they will if that conversation window
is NOT focused. I would really like to find out there is some setting
within messenger or windows which will allow me to be notified of any
new IM. Please tell me I missed something obvious. This seems like a
basic function that I should be able to turn on or off as needed.

thanks
-denis

Greetings Denis,

This isn't a setting, it's by design and you cannot change this behavior.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

<ubergnosh@despammed.com> wrote in message
> hey all,
> my comapny recently switched to LCS/Windows Messenger. Since I use a
> switchable monitor hooked up to my PC and Sparc I need to be alerted to
> new IMs. This is standard with every other IM client I have ever used
> except Window Messenger. If a chat window is the focused window on my
> PC and I have switch the monitor or am not looking then new IMs do not
> generate an alert sound. However they will if that conversation window
> is NOT focused. I would really like to find out there is some setting
> within messenger or windows which will allow me to be notified of any
> new IM. Please tell me I missed something obvious. This seems like a
> basic function that I should be able to turn on or off as needed.
>
> thanks
> -denis

Hey Jonathan your site is great. Its been helpful the times I've needed
something. So as far as you know no one has come up with an add on or
hack that would allow me to be alerted via audio to new messages even
if the window is in focus?

thanks for the reply
-denis