No Anti Static Wrist Strap Suggestions

merrill541

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Hello everyone,

For various reasons I won't be able to have an anti static wrist strap when I start building my computer tonight. I was thinking that in addition to touching the grounded power supply case every once in a while I would wear rubber shoes. Also I am considering wearing latex or nitrile gloves. Are these good ideas? Also, does anyone have any other suggestions for things I can do to minimize static charges?

Thanks

cmcghee358

Distinguished

Dont wear wool. Everytime you get up and walk around, constantly touch things as you go by to discharge yourself. Faucets and outlet mount screws work well for this. When you sit back down touch your case with your PSU plugged in.

Other than that don't worry too much about it. Everytime you pick up a component, discharge yourself again before you touch it.

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I think you're overkilling it a bit. I know static can be a problem but I personally haven't experienced it myself.

But agreed don't wear wool, wearing sneakers might be a good idea and just touch the case every once in a while.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Due to various circumstances, I've had to assemble a couple of my systems on carpets. Since I do not own an Anti-Static wrist strap, my rule of thumb is before reaching into the case, touch the metal framing of the case. Doing this, I've never had a problem and after a while, it becomes second nature.

-Wolf sends