No Apple forum, no mention of new OS X Snow Leopard?

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I guess Tom's doesn't think Apple computers are hardware? Yet they contain the same Intel components are 75% of "PC" hardware.

And finally, it's hilarious that Apple released OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) today - August 28th (Friday) and Tom's doesn't mention it at all on their "cover/news" page. Yet they go ape when a new Windows 7 Beta build is "leaked".

I guess Microsoft has bought Tom's Hardware -- I suspected as much, dig a little deeper and follow the funding trail and bingo!!

Nice job at covering unbias hardware for personal computers.

A hint Tom's -- Microsoft market share is falling 75% last year and now it's 67% -- that's a BIG drop, smell the coffee Tom's and open your minds.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You could say the same proprietary comment about Dell, HP, and the numerous various notebooks and laptops and PDAs and Phones and ... yet Tom's covers those??

The only true proprietary component in Apple's computers is the use EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) rather than dinasour tech BIOS (circa 1970's) that Asus and other motherboard manufacturers.

If Tom's is about Microsoft ONLY based hardware, then change the site name ... something like "Tom's Hardware for Windows based computing" -- don't pretend they're interested in what is going on with Apple when they're not.

Heck, I'm looking at yet another poorly written and mis-informed article from Tom's about "Apple Adds Malware Blocker to Snow Leopard" -- which is just NOT true. Malware Blocker was added to OSX users many many months ago.

I would rather see Tom's just not report anything about Apple rather than the continue mis-information they spread like a smear compaign -- that just smells of Microsoft funding and makes this site less credible -- so much so that I don't trust any articles even on Windows hardware.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

No AMD CPU support just yet, but rumors indicate their might be. Apple certainly have a good relationship with ATI/AMD graphics hardware hence 3870, 4870 available for Macs.

Yes you can use other sounds cards (I use a Motu Ultralite along with built in sound), but there are many other sound cards that can be used.

Suggest you check out http://www.macsales.com/ and also search under http://www.newegg.com and you'll find plenty of hardware for Macs.

RAM supports upto 32GB in riser cards. How the application is coded will depend on how much of that RAM can be used. With Cocoa API you can be a 32bit application that is able to address 64bit memory space or be a 64bit application -- the beauty of the OSX. Try that on a Windows platform and you'll find that it can't be done -- it just not possible for a 32bit Windows application to address 64bit address space, hence the 2GB thread limit with no "window" to a larger thread limit. You can thank Mr. Ballmer for that.

Your limitation will be the motherboard -- but these are Intel server quality motherboards. Last I checked Intel makes some pretty good chipsets/hardware and CPUs.

Strangestrang -- perhaps you should look and see what is shown below your avatar "ATI Forever!!!"

Look, its not as tho Im splitting hairs here, but Im saying all, or pretty much all HW is available on PCs. Not so with apple.
I dont know whether its the licensing or whatever, but alot of HW vendors dont have drivers for the HW to use on apple products.
That limits me, the consumer, and it is always a case.
Ever live in a small town?
Ever lived in a foreign country, where the shelves just dont have as much variety, as that country has high tariffs on imports, to promote their own countries products?
It sucks, and its also more expensive, tho you cant argue with the quality, but even that quality you can find cheaper back at home

randomizer

Champion
There's a great reason why there's no OSX section. You're the only person who really wants it, and we wouldn't want the section filled with fanboyism. You're also the only person to complain about the lack of Apple articles, even though they had a whole lot of them a while ago. Strange as it may seem people hated Apple-related content. I think there was even a "suggestion" on the feedback site to "stop posting Apple crap that insults our intelligence," or something along those lines.

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
what does Tom's really care about fanboyism-ating anyway ... arent you guys really just interested in growing more ad revenue so you can send your kids to college (like the rest of us)? seems silly for you to assert and repeat such platitudes.

more forums equals more pages equals more ad revenue, no?

do you think it would be really be that out of place to have an Apple area for hardware and an Apple area for software ... for those of us who are called on to support more than two flavors of personal computing?

and sure maybe those forums initially would just be populated by V8Venom, by me and by my mom (thanks for dropping by, Mom) but we could invite our friends and then there'd be five. and they'd invite their friends, and there'd be seven. and before you know it we have ten! think about it Tom's. think about it. and have a nice day. seriously.

why not say, "Sure we can. Under Consumer Electronics, there could be an Apple Systems link and under Software, there could be an OSX section."

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
I could argue there's no forums for IT professionals wanting to discuss about enterprise-level stuff used in server room all the way up to datacenters, an area I'm taking interest in.
Only scatters of SMB-level mainly in storage or networking questions that I try to pick up in this community.
If those two areas were to pick up momentum in here they alone would've ate up all the non-tech forums currently present, proportion-wise.

@V8VENOM, I see you're still as snobbish as ever and haven't changed a bit after all those years. Welcome back.

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009

And it should be kept that way.

Clearly not somebody running a Hackintosh. Installs quite nicely on a Dell Mini 10.

Why? Most flavours of linux install fine too and as Michael Dell pointed out the other week the return rate on the Dell Linux boxes was not as bad as people thought..
Something to do with a bunch of guys from Redmond spreading muck with their John Deere..

bob_vicktor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
@V8VENOM
The sad truth is most enthusiasts, whom this site is for, use Windows and Linux (or a Hackintosh) because they are open OSes that can install on a greater range of hardware. I think it would be cool to have a Mac section too because I like Tom's, but in the meantime there are plenty of other forums out there specifically for the Mac platform.

As for your behavior, I am ashamed. I am sorry to break it to you, but the reason the Mac world gets no respect from the Windoze camp (sorry guys, I just had to :D ) is because of people like you. I love my Mac. I have been using a Mac since before I can physically remember; I even remember when OS 7 was hot stuff. I have also learned most of what I know about computer hardware tearing into old Macs, so I respect your desire for a Mac hardware section. However, until Apple opens up a little more (a customizable mini tower FTW!) it is unlikely, because the only even remotely customizable Mac is the Pro, which is out of most people's price range (great workstation though!).

And to go back to my first point, comments like yours don't help either. Many Windows users won't even consider using a Mac because of all the FUD, most of which is centered around the idea that it makes you 'cooler', or the idea that Mac users are idiots who don't know better. The first is because fanboys' vocal declarations of being better then everybody else, and the second is directly related to how said fanboys quite idiotically don't know when to shut up!

Seriously, you are a disgrace to Mac users everywhere. As long as there as there are people out there like you the power computer users who actually read forums like this will continue to bash the Mac for its users. :pfff:

@everybody else
In Mac's defense, Mac users will continue on like this as long as their preferred platform doesn't get the respect it deserves. I respect Windows for how well it has sold and its 'open' mentality. Sadly, that is also its downfall IMHO. Windows itself is a good OS (not great, but good :na: ), but the third party drivers often bring it to its knees. So, for general computing I use a Mac, and for gaming I use my custom built PC.

What I would like to see is an open-mindedness from both parties. No-one is going to gain the other's respect for yelling louder.

@Randomizer
Thank you for being relatively open about this. :) While I don't think posting under BSD would satiate the beast, per se, it would be a nice touch for those of us who live in both worlds by choice.

randomizer

Champion
It would give us an idea of how many people want a Mac section at least. The forum is already quite large and some sections honestly need to be culled for lack of useful content. If there are a large number of Mac users who want to post here but feel they can't for fear of being attacks by Windows fanatics then they might earn themselves a section for OSX/Mac. Right now this is the first time I've seen more than 2 Mac users in a single thread that have openly admitted to it.

By all means let us know if you really want an Apple section, whether here or by PM.

TRENDING THREADS