No audio after taking out and replacing GPU

Mohaver

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
I took out my GPU because I'm thinking it needs to be RMAed due to a fan issue, so I was checking to make sure my integrated Intel graphics were working, so I could use it when I had no GPU. I took turned the computer off, was wearing an antistatic band hooked up to the computer case, unscrewed the plate holding the GPU on, and took the card out of the slot. I had forgotten to take the HDMI cord out of the GPU and at this point (upon taking the GPU out of the PCI slot), I heard a few small pops on my speakers like when you touch the cord to metal or something.
I freaked out a bit but proceeded to hook up the HDMI cable to the motherboard, and turned the computer on and there was picture and everything functioned and I tried out a game or two and it all worked fine. EXCEPT I realized soon that there was no audio, and since then I have tried the following: Played around in BIOS a bit but did not find anything that helped, enabled and disabled the audio through Device Manager, checked for compatibility issues through Windows, uninstalled Realtek Audio and reinstalled from Gigabyte's website, made sure my speakers are fine (they are as they play audio from the cord that was plugged into my computer when I use it on my phone), scoured the internet for solutions, enabled/disabled various sound devices in Control Panel --> Sound, etc. None of these changed the sound whatsoever. I tried using headphones on the front jack and just heard various high-pitched noises which I've gotten sometimes along with audio when things are downloading (for instance while a youtube video was downloading and playing I would hear a faint high-pitched squeaking noise that did not increase in volume when I raised the volume). Windows' "Sound" shows sound coming from the computer, and so does Realtek audio, and yet nothing is playing.
I'm not SUPER familiar with Windows as I just built this machine a few months ago, so maybe I'm missing something super obvious. I really require help on this one guys. Thank you in advance.
Specs:
Windows 7
Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H Motherboard
Radeon XFX Double D 7850

Solution
I would recommend trying a Live Linux Cd/DVD because those should work with most sound cards and may allow you to see if the card is working or not(just a way to try to rule out a bug that has happened on the current load of Windows).

This should run off a disc without requiring installing(you could install it if you wanted to, but no need for testing)
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
If the audio is from HDMI, you may need to ensure it is the default audio device.

Page 19 of the manual covers it.

If the audio is from the 3.5mm jacks, same applies, you just have to ensure it is default(i honestly disable all non used audio devices to never have to deal with this kind of issue.).

Mohaver

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

Where would I do this? I tried doing it through Control Panel --> Sound, but it seemed like every combination I tried had no effect. Also, it seems now that the HDMI output is not plugged in (according to "Sound"). I am using a 3.5mm jack. Thanks a ton for the reply!!

EDIT: Additionally, it now shows an HDMI outlet in Realtek HD Audio Manager under the side panel which displays which ports are being used. However, I disabled the HDMI output in "Sound."

In the Realtek HD audio manager you can right click the Select Default device. It can also be done as you noticed in SOUND.

You have ensured that you are in the GREEN jack and that the HD audio manager sees the speakers connected(green should be brighter while disconnected jacks should be faded.)?

Mohaver

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

Yes I have done all of this. I have tried enabling and disabling each component, but it yielded no changes. The 3.5mm is in the green jack, but I tried every one just to see iif there were any changes. I am on the verge of RMAing the motherboard because maybe the popping noises were the audio portion of the board frying? It seems highly unlikely but it's the only viable option it seems like. Is there an alternative?

Mohaver

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

Again, thanks so much for the response. Could you lead me through this in a little more detail? I'm not familiar with Ubuntu or how I would be running it to determine if the sound card is working. Also, if this is complicated, is there a faster route to determining if the integrated sound card has somehow been broken? I am leaving the country in a few weeks so any RMA that I would make would have to be fairly soon so that I would be here to receive the package. Thanks so much for your help, I really do appreciate it.

You should be able to just download and burn an ISO image(you can even use a flash drive instead of a DVD if you have one handy, but generally you want to erase it.).

The main point is once you boot off of the DVD or flash drive, the OS will load and should be able to play sounds be it on the internet or even playing audio files off your hard drive(it should be able to read NTFS drives fine).

It is fairly rare for a sound card to fail.