Question No Audio. At all.

Jul 12, 2019
Greetings. I have browsed this website for many issues I have had in the past, but never have I actually had one that wasn't already answered. Now I know that judging by the title the usual fixes might come to mind; reinstalling drivers for realtek and such, check BIOS and make sure audio is enabled. But it simply will not work. I have tried everything. There is no option for realtek as a default audio device. I have uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times from both realtek themselves and motherboard's driver downloads. It is just the HDMI ones listed for the GPU and the monitor's speakers, the onboard sound for headphones is nonexistent. Plugging in headphones does not work. It will not recognize anything I plug in as an audio device.

Device manager did not work either, and when I tired to manually "add legacy hardware" under "actions" I get the same result as the following thread: a Code 10.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cant-install-realtek-driver.3097795/
However, this was fixed by enabling audio in his UEFI, as it was disabled.

Similarly, there is this thread with the same issue as the aforementioned thread, but with audio enabled in UEFI.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ealtek-drivers-it-doesnt-do-anything.3348614/
This was never officially solved, and of course an alternative that was mentioned is a sound card, but I am no audiophile and if there is an on board fix that can be done I will gladly accept it.

It is important to note that I have just built my second PC; an upgrade from my previous AMD FX build.

Specs are as listed:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X470 PRO

GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC ULTRA

I would list the full specs but I'm sure the only thing of importance in this situation is the motherboard and OS.

Thank you in advance.

Edit/Update 1: After further trial and error there is still no sound. i have tried disabling audio in UEFI, launching, then restarting and starting with audio enabled, but that has not worked either.

Edit/Update 2: Still nothing, pc will not recognize any realtek driver i install. i have tried asus's website, the installation disc file that came with the motherboard, and realtek themselves once more, and still absolutely nothing.

Edit/Update 3: So I tried using one of the drivers i downloaded to update the one from device manager with the code 10; do not do that. it gave me a BSOD with the following
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
what failed: RTKVHD64.sys
Of course this is one of the files in the driver folder that i updated it with.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019
Is your onboard sound disabled in the bios/cmos? Might want to check that. Then go to the Asus website for your board and download the audio drivers and start from there.
Yes, I did check that earlier, it was enabled. I will double check again but I am sure it was.

Edit: After double checking it is in fact enabled. Both HD Audio Controller and Depop (?) are enabled under advanced options in on-board devices.

I have been trying quite a bit and am very tired as I have done this all night. If I do not get back to a follow up response in a few minutes I am sorry and thank you in advance and I’ll check it as soon as I get a few decent hours of sleep lol

Last edited: