NO AUDIO DEVICE INSTALLED

Charles_56

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
Hello,

I have an HP laptop running Vista. My audio has gone out. It says NO DEVICE INSTALLED How can I get it back?

I am completely computer unsavy, so if you can help, please use very simple instructions if possible.

Thanks, Charles

Solution
yes. Ihave had the opportunity to use a new and very inexpensive toshiba laptop. I suggest a laptop for just a couple of extra reasons you may care for later. such as a movie, File transfer, or burning. Wal-mart had them last year for around 300 bucks and the processor was real speedy. So what if a system has 4 processors? If they only jam at 1.6 ghtz. you can only be that fast. That is crazy slow. 1 or two is plenty for what you want to do. Just be sure they are 2.1, 2.3ghtz or higher. Sorry you have to get a new one. Im still on my 2004 desktop(a little upgraded) I just cant give it up. There is still hope for your old.Keep trying at it. At least you know now what kind of problems arise when you install the wrong drivers. Take care...

Charles_56

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
I clicked on the link and did whatever it said to do, including entering the model number of my pc. I was told my model number was incorrect, and that my pc's warranty was invalid. This is my 5th HP pc I doubt there will be a sixth.

jlsmalll

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

Did you get your help yet?

jlsmalll

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

Did you get helped yet? Check your device mgr. for reinstallation. contact me for more help.

jlsmalll

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

If your fortunate enough to still show your drivers for the sound in the device manager than you con right click the thing and choose driver, than update. For instance on my 2004 compaq with windows xp I right click computer, go to properties, hardware, then device manager. I go down to sounds video and game controllers and click the + sign in front of it. Than right click properties of the sound device or driver you want to reinstall or update. Mine is realtek AC97 audio controller right click to properties and choose . Keep me posted . I can give the low down on a vista machine if you still need it, You will see many similarities or enough to get you by with this example. Unless you really not savvy, as you stated. I will try to help. jlsmall

Charles_56

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013

I went to the device manager and there wasn't a folder for sound/video/game devices. The HP website said my system uses Conexent High Defination SmartAudio 221 Driver. I opened every folder in device manager and couldn't find anything close to Conexent... I tried to download a copy from the HP site, but got an error message when I tried to install.

That's where I am. No sound and no ideas.

Thanks, Charles

jlsmalll

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

OK. was the error message "no device, or device not found, no device installed?" I forget the error code number. Mine is listed as a controller.AC 97 Audio for( via ) Audio controller. It is possible that you can search for the file at start, search and put in the name of the device file you want to search for. Such as conextant high def. But if that was not the file that is missing than, of course nothing will show up in the search. Now if that dont work, Than you will have to download a new device from the web site. Dont forget to use the download tool to get drivers also. Or the hpsite is pretty good for these things.You said you tried with hp but got an error? Did the error come with any info? Because you can google that crap and get an explanation that could lead you to your fix. What do you have in your device manager under sound video and game controllers? just codecs, audio and video? The simple fix would be to right click the appropriate and in properties driver and than either disable and then enable. Or uninstall and reboot. Of course this is if you have the right selection in the mgr. write back

jlsmalll

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
You got vista right? try this. click start. And in the search box type in recovery manager. select it and then click the advance tab.Look for hardware driver re-installation and and click next. Now select the appropriate driver and click next. The driver should start to reinstall. You will have to restart or maybe it will by itself. This should work for you. If not right back and well get to it again. jlsmall

Charles_56

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013

The error message was something to the effect of "can not match driver to hardware."

My pc is a Pavilion 2500se. When I tried using the HP site, it came back with "no, your computer is a model 2945, not 2500." I tried using the recommended fixes from HP for the 2945. That might be why the driver didn't work in my model 2500.

I don't have a games/video folder in my device driver. In the Network Adapters folder there is a WAN Miniport (SSTP) folder with an orange caution button over it. I disabled it then restarted. It didn't help. Could this be the source of the problem? I don't know what WAN Miniport (SSTP) refers to. Maybe I can get another copy from HP.

jlsmalll

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
You are right . the driver you got from hp is incorrect. It would have installed if it wasnt for the conflicting device it was installed to. Your WAN miniport sstp is your wireless for the internet. You should look under the sound, video, and game controllers to find the driver for your sound device. You already know it is a conextant so you dont have to guess and accidently disable or uninstall the wrong device. Network adapters hold the info. for wireless and graphics wich is the screens resolutions. Dont need to mess with that. Your looking for audio and there properties. And if your miniport has an orange caution over it it has a conflict that you can fix by uninstalling the driver and rebooting the computer. Just right click it and go to properties and under the driver tab you should have option to uninstall. If the file is not missing or if it aint corrupt it will reinstall it by itself and tell you what it has done. That should resolve that issue. You can do the same with the sound device providing you can locate it. On the underside of your computer is a tag look for the service tag number and use that at the hp.com site . look for the downloadable file for driver conextant. download and install. Should fix you up.

Charles_56

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013

I still can't get it to work. Since the hard drive is full and the screen flickers from time to time, I decided to buy a new p.c. I guess 4+ years is an average life span for a p.c.

Can you recommend a good p.c.? If you can I'll vote for that being the "best answer."

Thanks for your many efforts.

Charles_56

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
Related question. Would you recommend a tablet or a laptop? Mostly I use my p.c. for word processing, email, light bookkeeping, news, music. I don't play complicated games or watch movies.

jlsmalll

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
yes. Ihave had the opportunity to use a new and very inexpensive toshiba laptop. I suggest a laptop for just a couple of extra reasons you may care for later. such as a movie, File transfer, or burning. Wal-mart had them last year for around 300 bucks and the processor was real speedy. So what if a system has 4 processors? If they only jam at 1.6 ghtz. you can only be that fast. That is crazy slow. 1 or two is plenty for what you want to do. Just be sure they are 2.1, 2.3ghtz or higher. Sorry you have to get a new one. Im still on my 2004 desktop(a little upgraded) I just cant give it up. There is still hope for your old.Keep trying at it. At least you know now what kind of problems arise when you install the wrong drivers. Take care and contact me if you want. JLSmall

Solution