Question No Audio Devices Plugged In (Please help!)

Jan 14, 2021
I recently installed a new motherboard (Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2) into my computer (Windows 10 Home, 64 bit) and when plugging my headphones or speakers into the audio jack in the back of the computer, there's no sound. The sound comes from my monitor's speakers because it's plugged in with HDMI. Anything I plug into audio jacks in the back of the computer doesn't show up in any device manager or anywhere else. I did try to update realtek audio drivers 3 times, but even that doesn't show up in the device manager. The only place my headphones show up is in device manager when I "show hidden devices", but even then it says my headphones are not plugged in:
"Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."

My full specs:
Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2
Ryzen 5 2600X
Radeon HD 570
16gb ram

What I have done:
  • Updated realtek drivers
  • Updated mobo drivers
  • Enabled audio in the BIOS
  • Tried updating windows
  • Tried finding headphones in device list (only shows when i show hidden files, it says it's unplugged)
  • Rewiring F Audio panel (case is somehow missing F audio wirings but it worked fine on my last mobo)
  • Tried using windows audio troubleshooter
  • Disabled HDMI audio

Last edited:
You're using your GPU audio output as the Windows sound device and feeding it through your monitor...so the Realtek ports on the motherboard will be inactive.

To use the motherboard outputs you'll need to change the Windows sound device back to the "Realtek audio" system in the Windows control panel.

Jan 14, 2021
You're using your GPU audio output as the Windows sound device and feeding it through your monitor...so the Realtek ports on the motherboard will be inactive.

To use the motherboard outputs you'll need to change the Windows sound device back to the "Realtek audio" system in the Windows control panel.
I already tried disabling hdmi audio output but theres still no sound to my headphones. Yes, HD Audio is enabled in the BIOS. I tried updating Realtek drivers again, but the drivers don't even show up in device manager after installing.

"I already tried disabling hdmi audio output but theres still no sound to my headphones "

Just double checking with you that you not only disabled the HDMI audio but also selected Realtek audio in the Windows sound settings ? Also are you using the audio drivers from your motherboard download page ? The generic Realtek drivers off the web may not be supported on your board.

Jan 14, 2021
"I already tried disabling hdmi audio output but theres still no sound to my headphones "

Just double checking with you that you not only disabled the HDMI audio but also selected Realtek audio in the Windows sound settings ? Also are you using the audio drivers from your motherboard download page ? The generic Realtek drivers off the web may not be supported on your board.
Realtek does not show up in my sound settings or control panel. It doesn't even show up in the device list. I will try to check if the mobo download page even has a driver download, i don't think it does.

are you sure it's not a hardware issue?

I didn't see until later in your thread that you changed motherboard and cpu without re-installing Windows...that's a big no-no.

You need to do a re-install of Windows...just type "fresh install windows 10" into Windows search and follow the directions to keep your data.

It's always best to back up your data first.

I also strongly recommend you take the step of uninstalling any programs you have a paid license for and re-installing them after to prevent issues with multiple uses of one product key.

Windows is an OS...it's the interface between what you want to do with your programs and the hardware in your PC. To correctly provide that interface the OS needs to be properly installed on top of your current hardware so it can see and initialize that hardware every time the PC starts. Right now your Windows install is looking for the hardware from your old motherboard.

What you've done is like taking the wiring harness of one car and slapping it on the engine in another car and expecting it to work because they are both cars...

technically uefi is OS too with hardware drivers and apps and windows sits on top of it...
but i do agree that switching mainboards can confuse windows alot, sometimes it works, sometimes u get weird errors
if u experiencing windows issues after switching mainboard, then new OS is needed, as just updating will keep still old mainboard traces in your system

Jan 14, 2021
You need to do a re-install of Windows...just type "fresh install windows 10" into Windows search and follow the directions to keep your data.
I just finished reinstalling windows. Sound is still gone! I checked bios again, it's enabled. WTF DO I DO? I'm desperate at this point. Do i buy a soundcard?