[SOLVED] No audio- LG TV optical to an old analog stereo via D/A converter

Feb 12, 2022
I am trying to connect an old LG flat screen tv I have to an even older stereo I have with no luck. The D/A converter I have does not support 5.1 and I know this can be an issue. I have read that if my D/A does not support 5.1 then to change the optical out settings of my source device to PCM. I looked into the audio settings on my tv and my model does not give me the ability to change the digital audio output from BTS to PCM or anything else. I have read that LG support claims that the tv will output PCM automatically in the instance whatever channel you are watching or whatever device you are sourcing is also outputting PCM. I only use the tv with a ps4 that I plug in through HDMI to stream video through various apps so I changed the audio output of the ps4 to PCM and still no audio out of my stereo. I have the ps4 slim so I do not have an audio out on the console. The tv is an LG42LD450-UA. Probably from 2009 or 2010. I am thinking I need to return my D/A converter and get one that supports 5.1 audio but I am concerned that this will also not work. If anyone can give me some confirmation I could use the help.

Solution
T

The stereo is a Pioneer SX-255R. It does not have any optical ports. I think the stereo is about 30 years old. I could try a long 1/8 cable, the tv does have a headphone port. I'll try that before buying another DAC.
Yes, that would probably be easiest since the TV has already done the digital to audio stereo conversion and you have 4 sets of inputs available on the receiver. Perhaps the LaserDisc input if you're not using that.<grin>
Feb 12, 2022
What adapter are you using for the optical out to analog? Have you tested the converter on anything else?
I have not tested the converter on anything else. It is a generic brand digital audio to analog audio converter. The D/A converter is made by TEAMPD and is 192KHz. When plugged into power the converter has a light that indicates it is receiving power, and when plugging audio cables into it you can hear the frequency in the static change like it is engaging but not correctly sending signal. I'm feeling like my tv isn't automatically sending out pcm like it is supposed too

What is the model number of the stereo receiver? Are you saying that your stereo receiver does not have any optical inputs? Does your TV have a headphone output jack on the side? You might be better off connecting the headphone output to the stereo with a appropriate cable.

Feb 12, 2022
T
What is the model number of the stereo receiver? Are you saying that your stereo receiver does not have any optical inputs? Does your TV have a headphone output jack on the side? You might be better off connecting the headphone output to the stereo with a appropriate cable.
The stereo is a Pioneer SX-255R. It does not have any optical ports. I think the stereo is about 30 years old. I could try a long 1/8 cable, the tv does have a headphone port. I'll try that before buying another DAC.

T

Yes, that would probably be easiest since the TV has already done the digital to audio stereo conversion and you have 4 sets of inputs available on the receiver. Perhaps the LaserDisc input if you're not using that.<grin>

Reactions: RUKUS87
Solution