[SOLVED] No audio on a clean Windows 10 installation ?

Jan 13, 2023
Hello! After some problems I had with power outages trashing my Windows (I guess), yesterday I've finally re-installed Windows 10 by removing everything from the disk, so It's a clean, fresh Windows installation. After all that trouble, I restored the BIOS to optimized settings; date and time are correct; the HDDs work. Windows works. But today, I spent all day trying to get the audio working, without success. I use and I've always used cheap, wired cellphone earbuds like these.

The earbuds definitely work. I've tried them on a tablet, and on a Live Xubuntu USB that I created to try and fix my computer. Although, in Xubuntu, I need to unplug the earbuds from the case and then plug them back, otherwise the audio wouldn't work on that either.

From the Windows installer itself, and given the subtitles of what Cortana said, I guess I should have been able to hear her speak to me thru the process, but I wasn't. I guess this already may give indications to you. Then, with the OS already installed (and in fact I installed it cleanly two times) and doing absolutely nothing else by myself, the audio didn't work either.

I installed Intel's driver assistant, and it got me the Graphics drivers, but also some Display Audio stuff. On the second clean install, the Graphics and Display Audio drivers installed automatically, without me installing Intel's driver assistant. I could see by clicking the Volume icon on the taskbar and on the Sound window from the Control Panel, that Intel Display Audio appeared – that my monitor was selected as an audio device, which is weird to me, since it's just a monitor with no speakers nor anything as far as I'm concerned. In the Sound window, something like this is what appeared, except that I don't have in there anything else other than that Intel Display Audio stuff:

6Mkb6re.png

I uninstalled that Display Audio thing. Without that, the Playback tab is effectively empty. I tried to install Realtek drivers, because I guess that's what I had before the power outage mess, but didn't worked. I downloaded the Realtek Sound drivers from the ECS website, but didn't work. (Should I install all that stuff on that page?) I also downloaded some from a mirror (Guru3D I think, because the download thru the official Realtek website is too slow) and also tried some Driver tools, but the two of them gave me BSODs; and the first time I needed to let Windows restore itself to a previous point; that's why I decided to re-install Windows from scratch a second time. I tried some other things, like /scannnow, the audio troubleshooter, and installing every single update thru Windows Update, but with no result.

With or without installing the Realtek drivers, in "Device Manager" > "Sound, video and game controllers", I wouldn't have "Realtek High Definition Audio", which everybody seems to have, and I'm pretty sure I had it too. I will only see the "Intel Display Audio" and "High Definition Audio Device" entries.

I used an "old" (about 3-4 years old) ISO that I had in my disk, to install Windows. I used WoeUSB-ng to create the bootable USB stick, from a Live Xubuntu USB, even though a tomshardware user told me to do it with Microsoft's own tools from another computer.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 3/11/2023, 03:25:02
Machine name: DESKTOP-SJU31NT
Operating System: Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit (10.0, Build 19045) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
Language: Spanish (Regional Setting: Spanish)
System Manufacturer: ECS
System Model: H81H3-M4
BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/10/15 15:57:08 Ver: 04.06.05 (type: BIOS)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4170 CPU @ 3.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8058MB RAM
Page File: 2489MB used, 7488MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description:
Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: No
Hardware ID:
Manufacturer ID:
Product ID:
Type:
Driver Name:
Driver Version:
Driver Attributes:
WHQL Logo'd:
Date and Size:
Other Files:
Driver Provider:
HW Accel Level: Emulation Only
Cap Flags: 0x0
Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

---------------------
Sound Capture Devices
---------------------
Description: Line In (High Definition Audio Device)
Default Sound Capture: No
Default Voice Capture: No
Driver Name: HdAudio.sys
Driver Version: 10.0.19041.264 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Date and Size: 8/5/2020 21:00:00, 430080 bytes
Cap Flags: 0x1
Format Flags: 0xFFFFF

Description: Microphone (High Definition Audio Device)
Default Sound Capture: Yes
Default Voice Capture: Yes

Description: Microphone (High Definition Audio Device)
Default Sound Capture: No
Default Voice Capture: No

Any ideas? BTW, I'm going to download the latest Windows 10 ISO, since the Windows Update was a pain, and will run the installer straight from Windows like I used to do back then.

Last edited:
Solution
Might want to choose Windows 10 64bit from that drop down menu, in case, you didn't notice that. If you don't have a discrete GPU, then you can skip the Intel graphics driver. One more thing to do, check the PCB(near the rear edge of the audio connectors) until you're able to see either of these chips;
VIA-VT1705-6-channel-HD-audio-codec.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

or
Terra_Pad_1050_-_Realtek_ALC662_on_mainboard-0645.jpg

^ They are the audio chip, depending on the chip, you download the driver listed on the support page under Sound. If you see Realtek, get the Realtek driver. If you see VIA, get the VIA driver. As for your...

Lutfij

Titan
I used an "old" (about 3-4 years old) ISO that I had in my disk, to install Windows. I used WoeUSB-ng to create the bootable USB stick, from a Live Xubuntu USB, even though a tomshardware user told me to do it with Microsoft's own tools from another computer.
+
BTW, I'm going to download the latest Windows 10 ISO, since the Windows Update was a pain, and will run the installer straight from Windows like I used to do back then.
I've said this before and will say this again; if you fabricated the installer using Windows Media Creation Tools, you don't need to jump through hoops with third party apps, like Rufus. The tool mentioned prior does it seamlessly. Your problem can and will stem from using an old installer. You recreate the installer with Windows Media Creation Tools with the tool, found on the site.

Furthermore, might want to see if your BIOS for the motherboard is pending any updates(use CPU-Z to see what your current BIOS version is listed as under Mainboard 's tab).

Reactions: zwjna
Jan 13, 2023
+
BTW, I'm going to download the latest Windows 10 ISO, since the Windows Update was a pain, and will run the installer straight from Windows like I used to do back then.
I've said this before and will say this again; if you fabricated the installer using Windows Media Creation Tools, you don't need to jump through hoops with third party apps, like Rufus. The tool mentioned prior does it seamlessly. Your problem can and will stem from using an old installer. You recreate the installer with Windows Media Creation Tools with the tool, found on the site.

Furthermore, might want to see if your BIOS for the motherboard is pending any updates(use CPU-Z to see what your current BIOS version is listed as under Mainboard 's tab).

Many thanks, Lutfij! I'm making way too many silly mistakes, but no more: I'll definitely create a new installer using Windows Media Creation Tools, starting right now! Here's CPU-Z info:

4Ddgosv.png

Lutfij

Titan
After you've created the installer using a pen drive, also download the latest drivers for your motherboard. Once they've downloaded, then move them onto another pen drive. Hold onto both pen drives.

Power down the system, disconnect from the www(if you're working with Ethernet) and disconnect all drives except the one you want to install the OS onto. Power up, install OS using the bootable USB installer. Once your OS install is complete, use the pen drive with the drivers on it and install said drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Adminsitrator.

You should be able to get your platform up and running. Once all drivers are installed, connect to the www and then let the OS run an update.

Jan 13, 2023
After you've created the installer using a pen drive, also download the latest drivers for your motherboard. Once they've downloaded, then move them onto another pen drive. Hold onto both pen drives.

Power down the system, disconnect from the www(if you're working with Ethernet) and disconnect all drives except the one you want to install the OS onto. Power up, install OS using the bootable USB installer. Once your OS install is complete, use the pen drive with the drivers on it and install said drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Adminsitrator.

You should be able to get your platform up and running. Once all drivers are installed, connect to the www and then let the OS run an update.

Fantastic! I want to make sure a few things so that I don't make any more mistakes:

Here are the drivers. Should I install every single one of them? (Chipset, ME, LAN, RAID, Sound, VGA)

I have two pen drives, the remaining one having a capacity of 4 GB and holding the bootable Xubuntu. I'm kinda paranoid about erasing Xubuntu from it and copying the drivers in there. I'm thinking on downloading the drivers on my second, 1TB HDD, and connecting that drive only after Windows installed completely. Would this also work?

I have a TP-Link wireless adapter, a PCI card. As I was installing Windows, I'm sure the installer connected to the internet. And after the installation finished, I had access to the internet straight away and almost immediately, without me installing anything. Should I also unplug the PCI card from the motherboard? I guess going offline is to prevent Windows installing drivers automatically. After I've installed the OS and every driver, should I connect the PCI card, and let Windows install some drivers for it? What about the TP-Link drivers? (I will also download them, just in case)

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to choose Windows 10 64bit from that drop down menu, in case, you didn't notice that. If you don't have a discrete GPU, then you can skip the Intel graphics driver. One more thing to do, check the PCB(near the rear edge of the audio connectors) until you're able to see either of these chips;

or

^ They are the audio chip, depending on the chip, you download the driver listed on the support page under Sound. If you see Realtek, get the Realtek driver. If you see VIA, get the VIA driver. As for your drive question, it would but why would you bother with a 1TB drive when all you need a is hundred MB's worth of space...?

As for your wireless card, I'd remove it from the system, given how you're somewhat clueless, doesn't help your case if you leave something to chance. Once your OS is installed with all relevant drivers, you can power down, disconnect from the wall and display and then drop in the wireless adapter into your system.

Solution
Jan 13, 2023

or

^ They are the audio chip, depending on the chip, you download the driver listed on the support page under Sound. If you see Realtek, get the Realtek driver. If you see VIA, get the VIA driver. As for your drive question, it would but why would you bother with a 1TB drive when all you need a is hundred MB's worth of space...?

As for your wireless card, I'd remove it from the system, given how you're somewhat clueless, doesn't help your case if you leave something to chance. Once your OS is installed with all relevant drivers, you can power down, disconnect from the wall and display and then drop in the wireless adapter into your system.

Oh my goodness, it's VIA! Here's a photo. Should I try installing those right now, or better, after the Windows Media Creation Tools finish? Out of curiosity. Even if it works, I might still reinstall it.

My graphics are integrated. I prefer to use the HDD because I don't want to lose the Live Xubuntu, just in case.

Jan 13, 2023

or

I've just installed the VIA drivers on my current system, and I finally have audio! I'm still going to do a nice clean install. You and tomshardware are incredible. Many thanks! I'm so grateful for your help! Hopefully I will stop screwing things up; otherwise: see you soon!