[SOLVED] No audio on front or back ports

Nov 2, 2019
I recently just upgraded my pc. I got an asrock b450m-Hdv, ryzen 7 2700x, and a gtx 1650. I installed it all and updated all my drivers but I have no audio when I plug in speakers or headphones. Tried reinstalling drivers and checked bios and still can’t get it to recognize my headphones or anything. They don’t show up on device manager either. Every speaker and headphone I tried works on other pc. The only time I hear audio is when I use a Bluetooth headset. Is it the motherboard being faulty ?

Solution
I have a couple of suggestions you can check on. Both are based on the fact that your mobo has a Realtek audio system, and I'm assuming that you are using that, and not a separate audio card in a PCIe slot. There should be an icon at bottom right of your screen to access the Realtek configuration utility. See your mobo manual p. 9 for some info on that, but it will have several screens for different functions.

1. Front panel audio connections come in two forms - the more common AC97, or the advanced HD Audio. Your case manual will tell you what type of connection system its front panel uses. The HD Audio system can detect whether you have plugged a set of earphones into the front panel. Often when you do that, it automatically disables...

kango692

Reputable
Sep 12, 2019
Are you plugging the headphones into the headphone jack on the case or are you plugging them into the rear motherboard jacks ?
Did you connect the audio header from the case to the motherboards audio socket ?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have a couple of suggestions you can check on. Both are based on the fact that your mobo has a Realtek audio system, and I'm assuming that you are using that, and not a separate audio card in a PCIe slot. There should be an icon at bottom right of your screen to access the Realtek configuration utility. See your mobo manual p. 9 for some info on that, but it will have several screens for different functions.

1. Front panel audio connections come in two forms - the more common AC97, or the advanced HD Audio. Your case manual will tell you what type of connection system its front panel uses. The HD Audio system can detect whether you have plugged a set of earphones into the front panel. Often when you do that, it automatically disables output to all the speaker outputs at the back so you have "silent" listening by earphone. Check the Realtek utility for any options to control that action. I even have seen an option like this in BIOS Setup on some systems independent of which type of front panel audio is used, although I could not find a mention of that in your mobo manual.

2. Go into the Realtek utility where you can specify what speaker system you will use - for what follows, I'll write as if you had my type of system - 5.1 surround sound speakers plugged in at back, and a headphone set in the front. Set your system type.

3. Realtek systems usually have a useful feature called port re-assignment that can cause trouble like yours. I'll describe how mine works and yours may well be similar.
(a) First, set up your system so that you can access the rear panel speaker sockets, see your screen, and use your keyboard and mouse. Now DISconnect all items from the rear audio sockets and the front ones. Then reboot so your system knows it has nothing plugged into those.
(b) Plug ONE speakerjack into a socket on the back - say, the front left / right speaker pair into the light green socket on the back. Immediately watch the screen for a little window that pops up saying it detected that you plugged in something at that socket, and asking you to specify what that was. It likely will suggest the answer, and it may even be correct. But do NOT ignore that and let it disappear. If you do not actually answer, it will assume it does not know what that was, and will NOT send any sound out of that socket! You MUST answer, even if only to confirm that the suggested item is correct.
(c) Next, plug in another item, say the front middle / Sub-woofer jack into the orange socket. Same routine - watch for the window and reply.
(d) Once again if you have rear speakers.
(e) When that's all done, go back to the Realtek utility. Verify that it is set for your speaker configuration. Then find the little test routine that will play music or something to verify the speakers are working. If you still get nothing, look also at the panel where you adjust volume, balance, etc. You should be able to get speaker output.
(f) Now you can proceed with front panel plugs, and look for similar prompt screens. Use the sound test tool to verify you do get earphone sound at the front. At this point you can figure out whether plugging in front earphones also cuts off the rear speaker outputs, and whether there is a setting to control that.
(g) Complete the process for connecting a microphone, front and / or back.

For the future, recognize that, if you unplug some speakers and re-connect them later, this process will be triggered again, and you may need to re-inform the system what is plugged in where.

Solution
Nov 2, 2019
Are you plugging the headphones into the headphone jack on the case or are you plugging them into the rear motherboard jacks ?
Did you connect the audio header from the case to the motherboards audio socket ?
I tried both front and back ports and neither work. And yes the header is plugged in

Nov 7, 2019
Yes, managed to get the latest update which has the Realtek Audio Controller.

Could it be that i have a faulty mobo?
Been trying to troubleshoot it for 2 whole days.

TRENDING THREADS