Question No audio on laptop, error message says "No audio output device is installed" ?

May 30, 2022
On my old Medion MD 41300 laptop the sound doesn't work ("No Audio Output device is installed") on W7 Ultimate (32Bit).

Is there any other way besides the manufacturer's website - MEDION Service - (drivers there doesn't do anything, if I do the right way to try installing them?!?) to solve such a problem?

Everything I was trying by searching in google (troubleshooting) - no audio output device is installed windows 7 - Google Search - doesn't help as well...
Missing ‘sound, video and game controllers’ in Device Manager...

I want to donate the computer to a disabled lady. Thanks a lot for potential efforts!!!

May 30, 2022
Hi Mr. Corcoran,
Thanks for reacting!

No, it originally came with Windows XP...
I then changed it to Windows 7 while the sound still worked.
Then because of trying to change the main language (for the "old" lady) I switched back to XP ( I am far for being a pro in terms of BIOS and all that basic stuff of a computer) which didn't succeed by failing of copying some main files in the middle of the process. So I finally switched (took a while with help of Rufus on a stick) back to Windows 7 Ultimate upgrading to a different language and now without sound. Make a long story short...

ZV505867

Prominent
Apr 1, 2022
How did you install Windows XP? Through DVD, USB, network PXE, or what other form? Did you use any particular software (Easy2Boot, Rufus, etc.)? What files/directories failed to copy?

ZV505867

Prominent
Apr 1, 2022
Are you installing the driver with the utility that the manufacturer gave you, or are you using Device Manager? This is assuming that you got exactly the correct audio driver for your sound card. Try a complete restart first once you finish installing the driver. If that fails, try using device manager to solve the missing driver. This only works if the file you downloaded has been extracted, and there is an INF file in there. No, using 7-zip or some other archiver just won't work at extracting the EXE. Though keep in mind - this may work if you have installed the driver through the EXE.
  1. Open start, and type in Device Manager
  2. Navigate to "Sound, video and game controllers"
  3. Right-click on the missing/corrupted driver and hit "update driver".
  4. hit the bottom option
  5. hit on "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"
  6. If it is there, select the driver. Otherwise, click "have disk".
  7. Hit browse, and navigate to the INF file.
  8. Restart your computer, and see if that makes a difference.

May 30, 2022
Are you installing the driver with the utility that the manufacturer gave you, or are you using Device Manager? This is assuming that you got exactly the correct audio driver for your sound card. Try a complete restart first once you finish installing the driver. If that fails, try using device manager to solve the missing driver. This only works if the file you downloaded has been extracted, and there is an INF file in there. No, using 7-zip or some other archiver just won't work at extracting the EXE. Though keep in mind - this may work if you have installed the driver through the EXE.
  1. Open start, and type in Device Manager
  2. Navigate to "Sound, video and game controllers"
  3. Right-click on the missing/corrupted driver and hit "update driver".
  4. hit the bottom option
  5. hit on "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"
  6. If it is there, select the driver. Otherwise, click "have disk".
  7. Hit browse, and navigate to the INF file.
  8. Restart your computer, and see if that makes a difference.
  • If I remember well, I installed XP through USB (external hard disk).
  • Didn´t you use any particular software (*.exe)
  • "What files/directories failed to copy?" There had been quite a lot of failing files not being copied. As I am not expert I sure not remember their names.

As I wrote before, there is no "Sound, video and game controllers" appearing at all!

As no one answered a long time and I actually tried on many internet sites to gain help unsuccessfully I gave up.

Thanks very much for your efforts!

May 30, 2022
Windows XP does not exactly support installing through USB. Is it a 32-bit image, or a 64-bit image? If it's a 32-bit image, try to use Easy2Boot with DPMS (Install XP 32-bit using DPMS drivers – Easy2Boot). It may format your USB, so keep that in mind. If possible, install XP through CD/DVD.

There must be a misunderstanding: I had first tried to install XP which didn´t work: Then, with the help of RUFUS (Stick) I installed Windows 7 (32 Bit) which works almost fine, except the fact that there is no Sound working at all, as well as there is no "Sound, video and game controllers" appearing at all!