[SOLVED] No audio, only loud static noise from MOBO jack after GPU removal ?

Mar 5, 2022
Hello,

My headphones are connected to the motherboard (Asrock steel legend z490), green jack, but there is no sound, only loud static sound that gets louder when I move the mouse.
The PC was working fine for months, but yesterday evening the screen went black. After further investigation it turned out that my GPU (sapphire radeon rx 570 4gb oc) had died. So I removed the AMD GPU, removed its drivers with DDU in safe mode, installed an old GTX 960 (asus turbo nvidia geforce gtx 960 oc 2gb), and then installed its drivers.

During this process I had disconnected my headphone and connected them to a laptop to watch a few youtube tutorials, because I was still hoping that the AMD is not dead. After swapping the GPU's and replacing the drivers everything worked fine, except the headphones, there was no sound, only very loud static and I don't know at which phase this happened.
Currently I removed the GPU entirely, removed both the GPU and all sound drivers, installed sound drivers again, but there is still no sound, only static. I connected the monitor to the motherboard with HDMI and there is sound if I change the output to monitor and connect headphones to monitor.

Tried pretty much everything I could find online: drivers removed, Realtek drivers removed with DDU from safe mode, Realtek drivers reinstalled, Services stopped and started, booted to an old Ubuntu USB stick - same loud static, even updated the BIOS, tried turning audio off an on in BIOS as well.
There is no static sound in BIOS, starts after showing the MOBO logo when booting, before windows screen.
Very similar symptoms are described here - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/no-audio-just-high-pitched-noise.3679604/, but the solution does not work.

Motherboard - Asrock steel legend z490

If someone can help, I would really appreciate it.
Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
Both, show disabled and show disconnected devices, are checked. I also tried to reinstall Windows, but the static noise is still there, also now the PC cannot find ethernet devices and I cannot create internet connection. I start to think that the mother board is dying, it's still under warranty so I will try to get it replaced/fixed. I will let you know how it ends. Thank you for helping!
Hello,

I brought the mother board back to the store under warranty. It was sent to Asrock repair shop, and as far as I know it was broken, so they replaced it (sadly with a refurbished one which looks worse than the one I returned). So now the sound works through all audio jacks, though the motherboard audio jack has really silent coil whine...
When you look in control panel under hardware and sounds, sound, what does it show as your choices to use for playback? Post a pic of the box if you can plz. Also when your playback for headphone shows up and you click on it, go to effects box, is there anything checked off for use? If so try disabling all effects if they are being used.

Mar 5, 2022
When you look in control panel under hardware and sounds, sound, what does it show as your choices to use for playback? Post a pic of the box if you can plz. Also when your playback for headphone shows up and you click on it, go to effects box, is there anything checked off for use? If so try disabling all effects if they are being used.
  1. Playback list image
  2. Effects tab missing
  3. Selected playback device
  4. Testing Speakers
There are 3 output devices, if I select "Realtek digital output" the problem remains.
The effects tab is missing in "Speaker" properties, tho it was there yesterday, might have disappeared because I uninstalled sound drivers many times. If I uncheck everything in "Advanced" tab (Image 2) and set the speakers to default the problem does not disappear, but the static sound changes a little and if I play sounds, the static changes even more, but no clear sound.

I forgot to mention that the front panel jack acts the same. Also I have noticed, that if I select "Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio)" and play a youtube video or something else, the sound bars in the Playback list (Image 4) does not move, if I right click on the "Speakers" (image 4) and press "Test" the bars appear on the monitor device and I get an error.

* edit
I just noticed that my microphone does not work either.

Mar 5, 2022
I am sorry I misspoke, when you get to your playback options, click on properties when you select each choice. Does it give you any jack information?
Speaker jack information Speaker
Realtek jack information Realtek. I think this device port is not 3.5mm but of another type.
I tried connecting to all jacks, same result, some are louder, than others.
Also I have noticed that none of the playback devices have a green jack, tho I installed all required drivers again.

Mar 5, 2022
Open up sound playback settings window, right click on blank area of box, and see if show disabled/show disconnected devices are unchecked. If they are click on them and see if your headphones show up.
Both, show disabled and show disconnected devices, are checked. I also tried to reinstall Windows, but the static noise is still there, also now the PC cannot find ethernet devices and I cannot create internet connection. I start to think that the mother board is dying, it's still under warranty so I will try to get it replaced/fixed. I will let you know how it ends. Thank you for helping!

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch
Mar 5, 2022
Hello,

I brought the mother board back to the store under warranty. It was sent to Asrock repair shop, and as far as I know it was broken, so they replaced it (sadly with a refurbished one which looks worse than the one I returned). So now the sound works through all audio jacks, though the motherboard audio jack has really silent coil whine which is annoying.
Also what was strange that after installing an old build of Windows 10, Windows could not find network adapters, even after installing all motherboard drivers, even Ubuntu USB stick did not have internet and didn't find any network adapters. So I had to download the newest Windows 10 build and make a new USB iso stick.

So audio was fixed after motherboard replacement and internet after installing newest build of Windows 10, have not tried any Linux distros.

*Edit:
Old Ubuntu 16.04 USB stick does not find any network adapters. But I am pretty sure, that a newer version of Ubuntu would work as it worked with Windows 10.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS