Question NO AUDIO OPTION FOR REGULAR ANALOG SPEAKERS

brendanbaby

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
Maybe we have the same problem; the ONLY option my PC gives me regarding sound output is DIGITAL AUDIO (s/PDIF) HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE, nowhere can I find a menu to choose analog speakers or headphone, literally nowhere. This all started after installing Win 10 to a second hand HDD, I tried another Win 10, still nothing, then I bought a new SSD and installed a Win 10 that I know works, nothing......I thought it was the onboard sound card on the Jetway MB but I tried running a linux based OS from a USB and when using it the sound works perfectly, is there perhaps a BIOS setting that I need to adjust? I'm not computer savvy, ahem, or is that already apparent!!! Any and all assistance greatly appreciated in advance!

brendanbaby

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
Maybe we have the same problem; the ONLY option my PC gives me regarding sound output is DIGITAL AUDIO (s/PDIF) HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE, nowhere can I find a menu to choose analog speakers or headphone, literally nowhere. This all started after installing Win 10 to a second hand HDD, I tried another Win 10, still nothing, then I bought a new SSD and installed a Win 10 that I know works, nothing......I thought it was the onboard sound card on the Jetway MB but I tried running a linux based OS from a USB and when using it the sound works perfectly, is there perhaps a BIOS setting that I need to adjust? I'm not computer savvy, ahem, or is that already apparent!!! Any and all assistance greatly appreciated in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
I tried another Win 10, still nothing, then I bought a new SSD and installed a Win 10 that I know works, nothing
You might want to state where you sourced the installer for your OS. Did you recreate the installer to rule out a corrupt OS installer?

Secondly, please parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
including your audio equipment.

If you open up the Control Panel Sound app, which devices are listed there and are they all Enabled? Right-click to Enable if necessary.

brendanbaby

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
If I remember correctly, you have to have a driver installed for the green speaker/headphone port, which is usually the realtek one. I believe the website for your motherboard should have it listed.
Sadly it's a Jetway Mobo I'm using and their website isn't exactly the easiest to navigate, I've looked and can't find any Realtek software installed anywhere, I did download and install Realtek but it just kinda vanished, very weird.

One trick used to be go to device manager, right click the device with issues, go to properties.

In the window that opens up, click the tab labeled details. Then in the drop down in the middle, select hardware id. There should be a couple of lines of code, highlight the first one, then use the command control c to copy, then paste into a Google search, you should get some hits for a driver, just be careful as some sites might be sketchy and want you to download a driver update program(don’t do that).

Also, before you do that, go to windows update, advanced options, optional updates, then driver updates. You may find that they have the audio driver queued up there for you.

Worst case hop on Amazon and get a usb audio adapter assuming this is a desktop. I actually use something similar to this because on my motherboard at times it sounded like I was picking up a Hispanic radio station on it, which I don’t know how exactly. The computer would be off and my speakers would act like an antenna I think and play it on their own. Started using the USB adapter and that happens less often so who knows. But these are relatively cheap and seem to work and sound half decent.

https://www.amazon.com/Micolindun-E...=usb+audio+,aps,151&sr=8-45&wIndexMainSlot=81

Reactions: brendanbaby

brendanbaby

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
I tried another Win 10, still nothing, then I bought a new SSD and installed a Win 10 that I know works, nothing
You might want to state where you sourced the installer for your OS. Did you recreate the installer to rule out a corrupt OS installer?

Secondly, please parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
including your audio equipment.

T bought an external USB sound card......problem solved!!!!

brendanbaby

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
One trick used to be go to device manager, right click the device with issues, go to properties.

In the window that opens up, click the tab labeled details. Then in the drop down in the middle, select hardware id. There should be a couple of lines of code, highlight the first one, then use the command control c to copy, then paste into a Google search, you should get some hits for a driver, just be careful as some sites might be sketchy and want you to download a driver update program(don’t do that).

Also, before you do that, go to windows update, advanced options, optional updates, then driver updates. You may find that they have the audio driver queued up there for you.

Worst case hop on Amazon and get a usb audio adapter assuming this is a desktop. I actually use something similar to this because on my motherboard at times it sounded like I was picking up a Hispanic radio station on it, which I don’t know how exactly. The computer would be off and my speakers would act like an antenna I think and play it on their own. Started using the USB adapter and that happens less often so who knows. But these are relatively cheap and seem to work and sound half decent.

https://www.amazon.com/Micolindun-External-Sound-Adapter-Laptop/dp/B06XNJLHXS/ref=mp_s_a_1_45?crid=1H51U4WIVFBPY&keywords=usb+audio&pscroll=1&qid=1662705935&sprefix=usb+audio+,aps,151&sr=8-45&wIndexMainSlot=81

Yup, I did exactly that friend, one external USB sound card thingy later and all is well with the world again!!!

noel_prg_la1979

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018
Sadly it's a Jetway Mobo I'm using and their website isn't exactly the easiest to navigate, I've looked and can't find any Realtek software installed anywhere, I did download and install Realtek but it just kinda vanished, very weird.

Jetway no longer makes consumer grade motherboards anymore and only "industrial" based motherboards for business PCs. they stopped making them many years ago

it seems part of the onboard realtek audio on that Jetway board died where only the digital audio (spdif) output was available but the plain analog audio (speaker) output was gone. I had that kind of experience with an old oem mobo in an old HP pavilion computer where digital audio (spdif) as there but the analog speaker output option suddenly disappeared and never came back (that board had Realtek alc888s). and later on digital audio (spdif) was gone; the onboard Realtek audio hardware on that board eventually died altogether and can no longer get any sound from it and I put in an old Creative/Ensoniq PCI audio card just to get the audio back.