[SOLVED] No Audio Output Device Installed

cr4ckerjax

Reputable
Jun 21, 2018
Hello.Built a computer for a friends son. It's nothing fancy.Just hardware that's never been unboxed.However after getting it completely built, there's no sound. It keeps saying No Audio Output Device Installed.I have tried for 4 hours now trying to fix this and nothings worked. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on this machine.I have tried using Windows disc to do a repair and of course it says "no problems found".

I attempted a system restore. I've tried searching online for help and still nothings helped. Went into device manager, looked under sound video and game controllers and all I see is nvidia high definition audio listed 4 seperate times along with nvidia virtual audio device.Then theres usb audio device.That's it under sound in device manager.

Not sure what happened.I had sound.Restarted computer and sounds just gone. There anyway I can get sound back ?

Solution
It's also possible that you installed the Nvidia audio drivers for the audio chip on the Nvidia graphics card -- when you do this it disables the motherboard's Realtek audio so the motherboard's audio output jacks don't work.

What you need to do is uninstall the Nvidia drivers completely (both audio & graphics drivers) then start over, but this time choose "Custom Install" which allows you to deselect the Nvidia audio drivers before continuing. That's what I did and it restored audio through Realtek sound chip via the motherboard speaker out jack.
It's also possible that you installed the Nvidia audio drivers for the audio chip on the Nvidia graphics card -- when you do this it disables the motherboard's Realtek audio so the motherboard's audio output jacks don't work.

What you need to do is uninstall the Nvidia drivers completely (both audio & graphics drivers) then start over, but this time choose "Custom Install" which allows you to deselect the Nvidia audio drivers before continuing. That's what I did and it restored audio through Realtek sound chip via the motherboard speaker out jack.

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 25, 2020
Hi,
I faced the same problem,
In general, NVIDIA will install its HD drivers because there is a HDMI slot and the sound will be transmitted to your monitor's speaker. So the answer to deselect the Audio option is not useful.
Please check carefully in the BIOS, there is a room for devices management when you newly install the graphic card, it may automatically disable the integrated audio device. (it works for me.
Is this the motherboard's on-board audio? If it is, I suggest checking to see if it may have been disabled in the BIOS.