Apr 10, 2022
I recently decided to pair my 1080Ti GPU with my AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU.
The 1080Ti GPU was in one PC & the Ryzen CPU was in a separate PC.

I added the ROG STRIX B450-F Motherboard & Ryzen 5 2600 CPU to my regular daily desktop case along with (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 RAM Modules.
I kept the same Storage from the previous build I had in this case along with the Power Supply (WD 1 TB + Crucial 240 GB SSD + Corsair 750W PSU).
The Storage included my Windows 10 Pro along with all of my files from the daily Desktop that I use.
I then added the 1080Ti GPU & connected everything.

Once booted, everything seemed fine.
Everything showed on device manager, PC ran smoothly.
The only issue I have is that I can't get any Headphones, Earbuds, device etc. (connected via AUX cable) to output sound via Rear OR Front I/O ports.

This PC USED to consist of :
CPU - Ryzen 5 2600 ( same CPU )
GPU - VEGA 64 Frontier ( different GPU )
RAM - 8GB ( different RAM module(s) )
PSU - a separate 750W (different PSU )
HDD - a separate HDD ( different Storage )
Motherboard - Asus MAXIMUS IX HERO ( Same Motherboard )

When running the specs listed above, audio output perfectly fine to multiple headphones, earbuds, devices, etc.

I've TRIED:

-Using different headphones. NONE output on the newly built PC, but ALL headphones are functional on other PC's.
-Updating / Removing / Updating Drivers (I/O drivers, Realtek Audio, Motherboard Chipset, Motherboard Audio)
-Updating / Removing / Updating Drivers via Driver Easy & Driver Store Explorer (programs that are used to help easily install drivers)

-Testing audio output in Safe Mode (no output)
-Setting the Headphones as Default Device
-Disabling / Reenabling Headphones

-Uninstalling all Audio inputs & outputs + rebooting
-Uninstalling all Sound, Video, & Game Controllers + rebooting
-Ensuring Volume Mixer volume is turned up

-Ensuring Headphones is selected in Sound Settings & turned up
-Ensuring all levels are turned up in Headphones' Speaker Properties
-Ensuring Spatial Sound Format is off in Headphone' Speaker Properties

NOTE:

-Republic of Gamers (Interface) SHOWS that my I/O ports ARE in fact being used. Verified by them being highlighted when I plug in my headphones on ROG Interface.
-Windows' Sound Settings SHOWS that audio is playing via Master Volume Bar (as I play music, the bar moves up etc.)
-I can output Audio through my monitor just fine (via 1080Ti GPU)

SPECS for the newly built PC that I am FAILING to get Audio to output on:

Operating System
-Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
-AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Memory
-Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
Motherboard
-ASUSTeK ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING (AM4)
Video Card
-MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Storage
-Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
-Crucial M500 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Power Supply
-Corsair CXM 750 W 80+ Bronze

I apologize if this is in the wrong thread, as I am newly registered to Tom's Hardware. Thank you so much in advance for any feedback. This issue has been bugging me so bad, & I am dying to resolve the issue!!

Update
-Fresh Install of Windows did not work
-I am able to ALSO output audio via Bluetooth headset

Last edited:
Solution
D
Finished a fresh Install of Windows 10. Still the same result of no Audio :(
A reset is not a clean windows reinstall so you did not reinstall windows apparently. I wish Microsoft would remove the reset capability because it is absolutely useless in every situation and I would never ever recommend using it to anyone. Do a clean install by formatting the drive and installing windows clean and your machine will work perfectly. And if it doesn’t then you have hardware issues
Apr 10, 2022
AUX Cable = Auxiliary Cable 3.5mm.

1 male side of the 3.5mm Auxiliary Cable connects to my Bose Headphones
The other side of the 3.5mm Auxiliary Cable I've tried connecting to both REAR and FRONT I/O Panels. Neither output sound.

Before I decided to pair my 1080Ti GPU with my AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, The Ryzen CPU was in 1 PC & the 1080Ti was in a separate PC.
The same Bose Headphones I'm using used to output sound in both separate PCs.

Now that I've paired my 1080Ti GPU with my AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, I can't get any headphones, earbuds, etc to output sound out this PC.

Note
I am using the same Motherboard with this PC that is giving me no sound, that was used with the Ryzen CPU. Which previously output sound whenever both PCs were separate.

Have you double-checked Windows is trying to output via the motherboard audio, and not an output jack on the monitor, or anything else annoying like that (I also seem to remember nVidia cards showing as an audio output device via HDMI?)? (i.e. double-check the default sound output device)

One thing you could try is booting from a Linux Live Stick (e.g. Mint), which should help rule out any driver issues (the "Edge" version of Mint 20.3 should have the drivers for your board rolled into the kernel, I think).

Reactions: DoctorKankle
Apr 10, 2022
Have you double-checked Windows is trying to output via the motherboard audio, and not an output jack on the monitor, or anything else annoying like that (I also seem to remember nVidia cards showing as an audio output device via HDMI?)? (i.e. double-check the default sound output device)

One thing you could try is booting from a Linux Live Stick (e.g. Mint), which should help rule out any driver issues (the "Edge" version of Mint 20.3 should have the drivers for your board rolled into the kernel, I think).

My nVidia card indeed shows up as an audio output device via HDMI.
I verified that the headphones are set as default sound output device.

That is a good idea to try booting from Linux Live Stick, I will have to look into this as I don't know much about Linux, but I did try booting in Safe Mode with no results (not sure if that's relevant or not).

Something VERY interesting to note is that I tried connecting my Bluetooth headphones, & it actually works! This makes the issue even more odd to me that of all things, a simple auxiliary headphone is the failing to work.

Further dumb questions from me - just to be sure, it's definitely the lime socket you're plugging the headphones into, isn't it? (I'm guilty of goofing on this in the past) Does your monitor have a headphone output on it? (my work laptop went through a phase of defaulting to the headphone output on the monitors rather than the headphone jack on the laptop when connecting to the docking station for some reason...)

That is a good idea to try booting from Linux Live Stick, I will have to look into this as I don't know much about Linux
It should be really simple - download the ISO and create a bootable USB stick with Balena Etcher (an 8GB USB stick should do), switch off the PC, insert USB stick, switch on the PC - you should end up with a Linux session running from the USB stick. Fire up Firefox, point it at YouTube, play a video and see if you get sound. Then do the normal shutdown routine (left-most button in the taskbar, the the power icon in the menu that appears, then choose shutdown from the prompt) :)

The Mint 20.3 "Edge" ISO has kernel 5.13, which should have the drivers for your board (I'm pretty sure 5.8 introduced the drivers for Ryzen 3), and has a Firefox icon pinned to the taskbar. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

Finished a fresh Install of Windows 10. Still the same result of no Audio :(
A reset is not a clean windows reinstall so you did not reinstall windows apparently. I wish Microsoft would remove the reset capability because it is absolutely useless in every situation and I would never ever recommend using it to anyone. Do a clean install by formatting the drive and installing windows clean and your machine will work perfectly. And if it doesn’t then you have hardware issues

Solution