Question No audio over HDMI

sa230e

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
Hi,

I have an old Dell Optiplex 9010 lying around that I'm trying to use as a media center PC.

I upgraded the RAM to 8GB, installed a PCIe wifi adapter and an ASUS Radeon R7 240 (R7240-2GD3-L to be exact).

Everything works great except I can't get any audio over HDMI to my TV.

No matter what I do, the speaker icon in the system tray reads "No audio output device is installed." Clicking it brings up the Windows 10 audio troubleshooter which solves nothing. Yet it shows up in the device manager as "AMD High Definition Audio Device" with status of "Device working properly".

O5qReBR.png

When I try to set the device as the default audio device I find it already is default but it doesn't have the "sound bar" beside it. The configure button does nothing.

OMc6SXr.png

In properties under "supported formats" it tells me no audio formats are supported.

hQ3lWn6.png

Things I have tried:

• Every driver I could find from old Catalyst drivers (version 14 or 15 I think it was) to the latest from AMD's website
  • Updating the drivers for the onboard sound (some generic Realtek HD audio chip)
  • Reformatting and updating Windows to version 1903
  • Testing with a known good HDMI cable
  • Disabling the onboard sound in the BIOS
  • BIOS flash to the most recent revision
  • BIOS downgrade to older revisions
No luck with any of those.

I know it's not a problem with the card itself because I tried it in another computer (an old Windows 7 machine) and had no problems with it.

Any body have any ideas before I conclude the card just will not play nice with this computer?

Thanks.

audio settings get read from your TV panel
if this info is missing or corrupt, u can use 3rd party tools to add missing info (localy into windows).
https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU
dl this app and open it, under extension block double click on what u have (usualy CEA), there should be speaker setup and audio formats
start with under audio formats add LPCM (2 channel) 48kHz 16bit
on speaker setup add front left/right channels
then close it with OK buttons and run restart64.exe (that will restart your GPU driver to reload your custom TV setting profile u just changed)
this change will be only local, which can reset if u change drivers, reinstall windows, or plug your TV to another gpu port/ another PC
if your setting will work, u can use linux (or TV service menu) to upload your new EDID to your TV