No audio through television speakers

Citizen Cook

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
I have a 1080p BenQ monitor and a 4k Samsung TV connected to my GPU. (1080Ti)
I'm outputting on both screens simultaneously. Last night I plugged in my headphones and today after removing them I can't get sound to output through my television speakers.
I went into playback settings and made the TV my default and can see the green bars flicker suggesting that the PC is outputting the sound. If i make my desktop speakers the default playback device then i can hear the audio just fine, but not when I make the TV speakers the default.
I suspect the HDMI 2.0 cable to possibly be at fault but cannot test this theory because i only have the one. It's only 6 months old however and the loss of sound in conjunction with the use of headphones makes me suspect it's a Windows 10 issue of some kind.
I've checked the audio, GPU, and OS drivers and all are up to date...

I'm at a loss.

Solution
HDMI handshake;

https://support.channelmaster.com/hc/en-us/articles/200377955-Why-does-my-HDMI-connection-not-seem-to-work-all-the-time-or-why-is-it-intermittent-

Citizen Cook

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

Ah yes, the anti piracy tech that doesn't prevent pirates from doing their thing but does cause endless headaches to honest paying consumers.

Unfortunately you described this technology perfectly.

TRENDING THREADS