No audio with HDMI

Sep 24, 2017
I installed a new video card with an HDMI port in my desktop. I'm using my TV as a monitor. I have video via HDMI but no audio. In the control panel, under sound, it shows that the HDMI is "not plugged in", and therefore I cannot make it the default. Obviously it is plugged in if I have video via the HDMI cable. I was using the cable with my laptop so I know it worked. I've also tried another cable which I know works. I've tried both HDMI ports on the TV as well . I've checked the drivers for the video card and they are up to date. I'm also wondering if it's possible that my card does not support audio via HDMI, in the message about HDMI not being plugged in refers to HDMI audio specifically. How would I know? It's an Nvidia ENGT520.

Sep 24, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from christianmusicjunki : "How do I know if my graphics card is capable of transmitting audio via HDMI"

Put in a new graphics card in my desktop, (new to me at least). Connecting to the TV via HDMI cable which worked previously before the onboard HDMI crapped out. Now I'm getting video but no audio. And I've heard that not all graphics cards transmit audio via HDMI. How do I know if mine does?