Question No beep, no display, no startup ?

iam4ever

Reputable
Dec 18, 2017
Hello everyone,
i have this (new for me) problem with an HP Z400 Workstation.
After maybe 1 year of no use i descided to power it up, clean it, install one SSD and give it to a friend or sell it. When i power the PC - no beep, no display, no startup. Every fan is spinning fine. So far i try these steps with NO luck so far:
  • Removed all 4 sticks of RAM and power PC on - no beep, no display, no startup (obviously)
  • Removed GPU and power PC on - no beep, no display, no startup
  • Removed CMOS battery for 10 mins and put it back, then power PC on - no beep, no display, no startup
  • Also i hold for 10 and more seconds CMOS reset buton that MB have with no diferent result
  • Replaced CMOS batery with brand new one, then power PC on - no beep, no display, no startup
  • Unpluged all cables that are not related for starting up the PC (USB's, HDD ...)and power PC on - no beep, no display, no startup
  • Put RAM from a working Z400 (i have 15 more of those near me) that is working and power PC on - no beep, no display, no startup
  • Put GPU that is working and power PC on - no beep, no display, no startup
  • Put same PSU from working Z400 and power PC on - no beep, no display, no startup
  • Removed the CPU and power PC on - finaly PC beeped 3 long, 1 short (that means CPU problem)
  • Changed CPU from working Z400 and power PC on - no beep, no display, no startup
I looked carefuly MB for capacitor problems or something that will catch my eye - nothing. I cleaned RAM slot, GPU slot and CPU slot with brush with soft bristles.
RAM and GPU i tested on other PC's and they are ok. I guess it is MB problem, but i am open to other suggestions.

Lutfij

Titan
Removed the CPU and power PC on - finaly PC beeped 3 long, 1 short (that means CPU problem)
Seems to me that your motherboard's BIOS might be corrupt or that the board is actually, done for. If it is indeed the BIOS being corrupt (and you have access to a CH341A BIOS chip programmer), you could reflash the BIOS and see if that revives your board.

CPU slot with brush with soft bristles.
You see any bent or broken pins on the socket?

iam4ever

Reputable
Dec 18, 2017
Removed the CPU and power PC on - finaly PC beeped 3 long, 1 short (that means CPU problem)
Seems to me that your motherboard's BIOS might be corrupt or that the board is actually, done for. If it is indeed the BIOS being corrupt (and you have access to a CH341A BIOS chip programmer), you could reflash the BIOS and see if that revives your board.

No bend or broken pins in CPU socket. I will try with BIOS reflash to see if all is ok.

iam4ever

Reputable
Dec 18, 2017

Hi again,
i do not have access to that chip programmer, but i descided ti try to replace bios chip from working Z400 to this one, but i am unable to locate BIOS chip.
Years ago i have this experience to take working chip and replace it with not working and then put on place not working chip on booted PC so i can software flash the BIOS and all was ok. I am going for this now, but cannot see location of BIOS chip ?

iam4ever

Reputable
Dec 18, 2017
ok, a little update of my attempt to revive the PC. I found that Z400 workstations have something called "crysis recovery jumper". Idea of that is to recover bios to its older version. I was very exited to try it. Unfortunately there is no change of my pc behavior.

iam4ever

Reputable
Dec 18, 2017
Hello everyone,
i have this (new for me) problem with an HP Z400 Workstation.
After maybe 1 year of no use i descided to power it up, clean it, install one SSD and give it to a friend or sell it. When i power the PC - no beep, no display, no startup. Every fan is spinning fine. So far i try these steps with NO luck so far:
  • Removed all 4 sticks of RAM and power PC on - no beep, no display, no startup (obviously)
  • Removed GPU and power PC on - no beep, no display, no startup
  • Removed CMOS battery for 10 mins and put it back, then power PC on - no beep, no display, no startup
  • Also i hold for 10 and more seconds CMOS reset buton that MB have with no diferent result
  • Replaced CMOS batery with brand new one, then power PC on - no beep, no display, no startup
  • Unpluged all cables that are not related for starting up the PC (USB's, HDD ...)and power PC on - no beep, no display, no startup
  • Put RAM from a working Z400 (i have 15 more of those near me) that is working and power PC on - no beep, no display, no startup
  • Put GPU that is working and power PC on - no beep, no display, no startup
  • Put same PSU from working Z400 and power PC on - no beep, no display, no startup
  • Removed the CPU and power PC on - finaly PC beeped 3 long, 1 short (that means CPU problem)
  • Changed CPU from working Z400 and power PC on - no beep, no display, no startup
I looked carefuly MB for capacitor problems or something that will catch my eye - nothing. I cleaned RAM slot, GPU slot and CPU slot with brush with soft bristles.
RAM and GPU i tested on other PC's and they are ok. I guess it is MB problem, but i am open to other suggestions.
I guess bad MB. I give up now.