Question No beep & no display signal after parts change ?

FreamoN

Commendable
Mar 21, 2020
Hello, few months ago I sold some parts of my PC and haven't used my PC since. Today I decided to build new PC, but leave the old PSU and old Motherboard on the PC still.

I bought NEW parts :
3070 Ti,
Ryzen 5800x,
2x8 RAM Corsair 3600 Mhz CL 18,
H150i Elite AIO and some new fans for the case.
My OLD parts before I sold them :

Ryzen 3800x,
2080 TI,
2x8 GB RAM G.Skill 3200 Mhz
Kraken X73.
Both are on the Motherboard Asus Prime X-470 Pro and PSU Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

I press the start button and voila, RGB lights on, all fans work, GPU, PSU and AIO fans work too, but no beep and no signal on the monitor at all. Whenever I take the monitor cable out and in of GPU it shows me that it works, but saying no signal and goes full black. The monitor works when I connect it to my TV.

What might be the issue here? Is there any chance that no beep and no signal comes from older version of the BIOS? I cannot remember what version I had before I sold the parts, but it was working on 3800x without issues.

Yes, all cables are connected I went through them hundred times and all connected. I also don't have older CPU on hand to test it.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"but leave the old PSU and old Motherboard on the PC still. "

Motherboard being:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X470-PRO/E13883_PRIME__X470-PRO_UM_WEB.pdf

Do verify that I found the applicable User Manual.

RGB lights, all fans work, etc. does not truly indicate a working PSU. How old is the Seasonic PSU? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit mining?

Remember that PSU's provide three voltages (3, 5, and 12) to various system components. It only takes one failed or out of tolerance voltage to prevent a system from booting or running thereafter.

Not at all uncommon that upgrades and/or any component replacements can have a ripple effect where something else fails as result.

Start here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Not with the immediate intent to go out and purchase a new PSU.

First, determine that the build has sufficient wattage and some extra margin just to be sure. Use the calculators in the link.

Second, double check that all installed components are fully supported by the motherboard. Details matter.

Third, refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual and all other component documentation to ensure that there has not been some installation error of omission or commission. It is all too easy to incorrectly connect components and/or misconfigure any given component thereafter.

FreamoN

Commendable
Mar 21, 2020
This:

"but leave the old PSU and old Motherboard on the PC still. "

Motherboard being:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X470-PRO/E13883_PRIME__X470-PRO_UM_WEB.pdf

Do verify that I found the applicable User Manual.

RGB lights, all fans work, etc. does not truly indicate a working PSU. How old is the Seasonic PSU? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit mining?

Remember that PSU's provide three voltages (3, 5, and 12) to various system components. It only takes one failed or out of tolerance voltage to prevent a system from booting or running thereafter.

Not at all uncommon that upgrades and/or any component replacements can have a ripple effect where something else fails as result.

Start here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Not with the immediate intent to go out and purchase a new PSU.

First, determine that the build has sufficient wattage and some extra margin just to be sure. Use the calculators in the link.

Second, double check that all installed components are fully supported by the motherboard. Details matter.

Third, refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual and all other component documentation to ensure that there has not been some installation error of omission or commission. It is all too easy to incorrectly connect components and/or misconfigure any given component thereafter.
Appreciate the answer!
I have checked the PSU wattage.
First of all I checked on pcpartpicker and added there my parts, it came out I need 549 W, my PSU has 650W
Then I checked Seasonic Calculator and it shows me only PSU'S from 850W and higher.
Newegg shows 600-699W needed. What do I get from that now?

I will still come back to the BIOS, is it possible that outdated BIOS, since Prime x-470 Pro supports Series 5000 since 5809 Version first.

The PSU is give or take 4 years old

Ralston18

Titan
A four year old PSU is, to me, an immediate suspect.

Check other calculators.

Do your own manual wattage total. If a component presents a range of wattage values use the high end value.

= = = =

Also, reading back: "The monitor works when I connect it to my TV". Did you mean computer vs monitor? Or that the TV works as a monitor when connected to the computer?

Do you have other known working video cables to connect between computer and monitor? Does the monitor need to be configured for the desired/required video port? Make and model monitor?

Will the system boot into safe mode?

Are you able to use iGPU (if supported)?

5800x requires bios level 5809:
CPU-Z will verify what bios level you are now using.
Possibly a later level might be relevant.

Last edited:

FreamoN

Commendable
Mar 21, 2020
A four year old PSU is, to me, an immediate suspect.

Check other calculators.

Do your own manual wattage total. If a component presents a range of wattage values use the high end value.

= = = =

Also, reading back: "The monitor works when I connect it to my TV". Did you mean computer vs monitor? Or that the TV works as a monitor when connected to the computer?

Do you have other known working video cables to connect between computer and monitor? Does the monitor need to be configured for the desired/required video port? Make and model monitor?

Will the system boot into safe mode?

Are you able to use iGPU (if supported)?
TV works as monitor, so the monitor isn't defect. I also got today my completely new Monitor and it still doesn't work. Acer Predator XB3
So the cable and all isn't as issue, as it's pretty low that two monitors don't work at the same time.
The system won't boot into anything, because the monitor stays black after message with 'No signal'
No iGPU available. Tomorrow comes Ryzen 3 3200G, so may test the PC with that and see if it's BIOS, CPU or GPU issue.

I also ordered new PSU, so it'll come tomorrow too as backup, if the old PSU is working fine, I will just send back the new one.

FreamoN

Commendable
Mar 21, 2020
5800x requires bios level 5809:
Yes, I am aware of that. That's what I suspected from the beginning. Just wanted to know if the BIOS isn't updated to 5809, would that give me the sympthoms I currently have?

FreamoN

Commendable
Mar 21, 2020
Yes. Unless you upgraded the BIOS yourself at any point, there's zero chance that a 5800X would work on an X470 motherboard.
So it might be just the BIOS then, as I am not aware of updating my BIOS anytime before to newest updates, since it was working fine with my 3800x.
Tomorrow comes my 3200G and it has the same BIOS version as the 3800x, that should boot the PC then and hopefully after bios update it'll fix the issue.

Yes, I am aware of that. That's what I suspected from the beginning. Just wanted to know if the BIOS isn't updated to 5809, would that give me the sympthoms I currently have?
Yes.
I might add that psu is not likely to be the issue.
Seasonic prime is outstanding quality.
A 3070ti will actually need less power than your previous. 2080.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
I might have upped the wattage from 650w to 750 or 850 to allow for a future upgrade.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Computer ---- > GPU -----> old monitor. Does not work.

Computer ---- > GPU -----> TV. Works.

Computer ---- > GPU -----> new monitor. Does not work.

Are you able to test the old and new monitors on another known working computer using known working video cables?

When you receive the other components install and test only one at a time. Too many changes will end up with all going in circles.

= = = =

Hold on to that new PSU. With the old PSU being 4 years old it may be near or even at some threshold where failure is likely.

Especially if the PSU is going to be supporting lots of new hardware.

FreamoN

Commendable
Mar 21, 2020
Computer ---- > GPU -----> old monitor. Does not work.

Computer ---- > GPU -----> TV. Works.

Computer ---- > GPU -----> new monitor. Does not work.

Are you able to test the old and new monitors on another known working computer using known working video cables?

When you receive the other components install and test only one at a time. Too many changes will end up with all going in circles.

= = = =

Hold on to that new PSU. With the old PSU being 4 years old it may be near or even at some threshold where failure is likely.

Especially if the PSU is going to be supporting lots of new hardware.
Yes.
I might add that psu is not likely to be the issue.
Seasonic prime is outstanding quality.
A 3070ti will actually need less power than your previous. 2080.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
I might have upped the wattage from 650w to 750 or 850 to allow for a future upgrade.
So, changed CPU to 3200G and PSU to Corsair 850W, still nothing. No signal at all. At this point I have no idea what's wrong.

At this point the only thing that's not new in my PC is Mainboard..

FreamoN

Commendable
Mar 21, 2020
3600x required bios 4804
3200G requires 5204
5800X needs 5809

As far as I can tell, your motherboard does not allow bios update without a cpu installed(some do).

The 2200g would have run on anything.
check the bios link referenced above.
3200GE is 5204, the 3200G should be normally 4804.