No beep troubleshooting

kcooldude

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
I just bought a motherboard speaker. I have an asrock z97 anniversary. The manual is horrible for this motherboard. I think I'm supposed to plug the speaker into SPEAKER1 pinouts on the motherboard. I don't know which orientation to put it in since + and - terminals are not labeled on the motherboard. So, I tried putting in the speaker in both orientations and powered on my computer.

There is no signal to the monitor (Before I put the speaker in, I bought to speaker to try and help me diagnose what is wrong) So, I took out everything of my case. I reinstalled the motherboard, cpu and cpu cooler. I powered on my computer and heard no beeps. I tried putting the speaker into the opposite pin orientation and came thing, no beeps.

Does this mean that my motherboard is broken?

What is wrong? Is it my motherboard? Or is it the way I installed the speaker?

kcooldude

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
Sorry, forgot to mention. The LED power light on the case turns on, all the case fans turn on, The CPU fan turns on, but no signal to monitor. I have tried clearing CMOS, holding down power button to discharge caps, and trying a new CMOS battery. I have tried plugging monitor into HDMI port on the motherboard, as before I was using graphics card DVI adapter to connect to the monitor. Same problem, no signal to monitor.

kcooldude

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015

Fans Spin and LEDS light up. I do not have another PC that I can plug into to test unfortunately.

The first suggestion in that case is to reseat the memory. Remove each stick SDRAM one at a time, clean the contacts, blow out the slot, and then firmly reinstall (make sure the levers on the slot go all of the way up). Then repeat for the remaining memory sticks. Also make sure that matched sets of memory are in the same color coded slots on the motherboard.

Next do the same for the graphics card. Make sure that all additional power cables are secure. Make sure that the monitor cables are secure.

kcooldude

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015

So I already did that. The only thing in my computer case right now is My PSU, motherboard, cpu, and cpu cooler. I only have 1 stick of RAM.

Here's my list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pjrHBb

The case speaker installation is on page 25 of the motherboard manual. It is referred to as Speaker 1. It is below the lowest PCI slot. Turn to "1.3 Motherboard Layout" on page 11 of the motherboard manual, the #1pin is highlighted, that is the location of the 5V pin for the case speaker. The next pin is the ground. The other two pins are dummy pins.

If you can't find the diagram, the #1 pin for SPEAKER 1 is oriented towards the rear side of the motherboard (with the I/O ports).

If the power supply is providing sufficient power, then reseat the graphics card. Ensure that the additional PCIE power cable to the graphics card is secure. Make sure that the monitor cables are secure. Make sure that the monitor power cod is secure. Does the monitor turn on and go through it's power on procedure?

After those the most common problem is the memory. You said that you already did the reseat. Your parts list states that you have one 8 GB stick of RAM. Is that correct? If the one stick goes bad, your system will not boot.

After that check the CPU installation. Check the motherboard power connectors.

kcooldude

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
ya so I did install the case speaker correctly, thanks for pointing out that pin 1 is the +5v wire (red wire). When I power on the pc using just CPU and CPU cooler, I hear no beeps. When I power on the pc using CPU, CPU cooler, and RAM I hear no beeps.

The monitor does work, I tried plugging in an hdmi cable into a laptop and the monitor displayed it fine. I'm starting to think its either my motherboard or CPU. But if I'm not getting any beeps then I'm assuming its a bad motherboard, since if the CPU was broken I am assuming the motherboard would still have some beeps right?

Also, before I did this I did remove my cpu cooler and cpu from the socket. I did bent some pins removing it, but I rebent it into place using a credit card, so hopefully I didnt damage anything further. But, I removed the cpu paste and reapplied paste. And reinstalled the CPU and cooler

Apart from the peripherals, to boot up you need the motherboard, CPU (with cooler), RAM, and power. Any of those can prevent the system passing the POST diagnostic (produces the beep code). Those are the components to concentrate on.

To test the Ram, you try individual sticks of RAM on at a time. Or you can switch it out with new or known to be working RAM from another system (must be supported so choose a similar frequency).

To test the PSU, switch out the power supply with a new or known to be working PSU.

To test motherboard, breadboard the motherboard to isolate the problem. Or switch it out.

To test the CPU, switch out the processor.

Note: this is assuming that there are no beeps. No beeps (with a working speaker) indicates that the system did not pass the POST. If it didn't pass POST, it didn't boot up.

kcooldude

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
I replaced the motherboard and computer started working again. So, It was the motherboard. Luckily I was able to RMA my motherboard even though it was 3-4 years old. Thanks for your help!