No beeps, blank screen, after installing new motherboard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdsxrule117

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Hello,
i got a motherboard, Asus M4A89GTD Pro, open box and installed it, and upon booting up there were no beeps and a blank screen. i took out the video card and both ram sticks and tried again, but nothing still. i also tried booting with just one ram stick, but that didn't work either.

my specs
AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0Ghz
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w psu
Asus M4A89GTD Pro mobo

so how should i get this to work? does anybody think the motherboard arrived doa?

Solution
Assuming that you have a case speaker installed, silence means bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU.

Because you went through the "No boot" sticky (you did do all the steps?), try this:

The following is an expansion of my troubleshooting tips in the breadboarding link in the "Cannot boot" thread.

I have tested the following beep patterns on Gigabyte, eVGA, and ECS motherboards. Other BIOS' may be different, but they all use a single short beep for a successful POST.

Breadboard - that will help isolate any kind of case problem you might have.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboarding

Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU.

Make sure you plug the CPU power cable in...

chris2002rocklin

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011

I went through every conceivable problem (exact same symptoms. no sign of power other than 5V to the green wire in the main board-pin connector) and it was the last thing I tried, which was to remove both new RAM DIMMs and replace with RAM already tested in a mobo and CPU (other than the new build). The retailer sold me incompatible RAM. It would not even power up long enough to beep or show any life at all.

maccat

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
I had the same problem. I removed the Q-connector and plugged the case wires direct to the mb. The speaker then worked and showed a ram problem. The ram had to be reseated and then worked fine.

lapse

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
i had the same issue after installing my new graphics card. I called asus and i had to go into the bios and change the graphics boot sequence to boot to the card first instead of the onboard graphics. Might call their customer service and see if that may be the case. hope this helps. good luck

EpixBurninator

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
I had the same problem with a new computer I built. I took it to a friends house to have two friends look at it and what we found was that the ram I purchased wasn't compatible with the mother board. I bought new ram that was on the compatibility list and it should be here tomorrow. Ill re-post if the new ram works.

New Specs:
ASUS P8B75-V LGA 1155 Intel B75
Intel Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2GHz
Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous

The initial ram I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193
Replacement: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455

The initial ram was not compatible because the model was off by the last 5 digits; Asus motherboards are apparently fussy with ram

Thunderballs

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
Very similar problem. I transferred an existing MB Processor, Ram and fan to a new case with new power supply and old HDD.

Known good screens, graphics card, etc etc.

My problem turned out to be that when I gave the cpu heatsink a shake it booted up and the screen came on. The heatsink had lost a fixing and was sitting slightly off the cpu but not so much as to be especially noticeable or loose.

before getting to the problem I tried..

checking the motherboard had power cables in correctly
A different LCD cable and different screen
A different power supply
Reseating the RAM

My symptoms were... led on MB on, fans on spinning, no beeps, blank screen.

I had had a previous build using new components where I had similar.. that turned out to be me not connecting the second 4 pin power cable to the MB .

Had this latest PC not booted I would have assumed it was the MB that I had damaged whilst removing it from the old PC and then had to fork out to buy a new MB and a new processor (because this particular pc is based on a well used socket 775 MB and it wouldnt have made sense to me to replace just one of those with new)

nautilusaspire

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
Hey bud, had the same problem. If it's anything like the hassle I had, then it really is a case of too much focus. I just installed my z97 gaming 5 & due to it already having an onboard graphics card, plus my previous guide, I initially plugged the cable into the onboard graphics. After kicking the cat over the moon I realised I plugged the cable into the wrong connector & switched to the grumpiness. For whatever reason, it probably recognises it as the primary. Who knew cats had an influence. BTW, no felions were hurt during this post...or prior

nautilusaspire

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
Damn auto correct:Hey bud, had the same problem. If it's anything like the hassle I had, then it really is a case of too much focus. I just installed my z97 gaming 5 & due to it already having an onboard graphics card, plus my previous CARD, I initially plugged the cable into the onboard graphics. After kicking the cat over the moon I realised I plugged the cable into the wrong connector & switched to the GPU . For whatever reason, it probably recognises it as the primary. Who knew cats had an influence. BTW, no felions were hurt during this post...or prior

ubahboo

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015

Did you ever find the solution?

Fabdef

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015
I had the exact same problem. Returned my gigabyte 970a-ds3p and got an ASUS M5A97 R2.0 and the screen still wouldn't get signal. Turns out the problem was my PSU (corsair cx500M). I replaced it by some generic 300w from an old PC and voila. I got signal on the screen. What's funny However, is that I tried to power my old PC (hp pavilion a850y) with the cx500m and it worked fine. So all I can think of is either the cx500m isn't compatible with the 2 motherboards(unlikely), or it's defective and not really outputting 500w.

_MPX_

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
Exact same symptoms with mine. No beep on boot. Turned out to be the CPU. Though I was careful when I seated it the first time, so for extra assurance, I cleaned all existing compound with thermal remover (even though CPU was brand new), tinted the heat sink and applied a fresh line of compound. Reattached the heatsink, and hey presto, the speaker beeped and ASUS screen popped up.
Looking at this thread, there seems to be a number of occurrences of this problem but nearly all having a different cause!

Giacomo Vespucci

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
I had the same problem after installing a new processor. After some troubleshooting, I discovered that I bent some of the pins in the CPU socket (LGA1150). Apparently these are very delicate. Bought a new mobo and all is well. Lesson learned the hard way.

vanniko63

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

vanniko63

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

i had this happen to my asus maximus v extreme 2 times . first try clear cmos . it might work .. but what did work was jumping the jumpers and resetting cmos . if that does not work then i . and once had to jump and remove battery waited next day worked . check with your mobo on how to jump and clear cmos . just all the add on,s and changes makes the bios wacky .

RANGER275

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

It should beep if there is no ram.. I'm going through the same problem lol.. Still trouble shooting it :(

Amardeep_4

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
I faced the same problem, just one hour ago I got my new motherboard from Amazon. Installed it nicely. Made extra extra sure that I didn't missed anything. Started my PC. It was just dead, as there was no display , no sound. The only things running were the cabinet fans and CPU fans even installed my graphics card after few tries the graphics card fan was also working still no display or beeps.

So what I did was I had 2 memory sticks one is 2 GB DDR3 from a different brand (it was pretty old) and another and 8 GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance which I got earlier this year. I took out that old memory stick and my PC powered on just fine.

The conclusion (as I was going through lot of forums like a mad person) of no display in most cases is or maybe the memory incompability. Hope this helps.

Edit - I just plugged in the old memory stick back again just to check if it's a memory issue. And my PC was not booting, no display, no sound. Plugged it out and it rebooted nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.