No beeps, blank screen, after installing new motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdsxrule117

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Hello,
i got a motherboard, Asus M4A89GTD Pro, open box and installed it, and upon booting up there were no beeps and a blank screen. i took out the video card and both ram sticks and tried again, but nothing still. i also tried booting with just one ram stick, but that didn't work either.

my specs
AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0Ghz
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w psu
Asus M4A89GTD Pro mobo

so how should i get this to work? does anybody think the motherboard arrived doa?

Solution
Assuming that you have a case speaker installed, silence means bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU.

Because you went through the "No boot" sticky (you did do all the steps?), try this:

The following is an expansion of my troubleshooting tips in the breadboarding link in the "Cannot boot" thread.

I have tested the following beep patterns on Gigabyte, eVGA, and ECS motherboards. Other BIOS' may be different, but they all use a single short beep for a successful POST.

Breadboard - that will help isolate any kind of case problem you might have.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboarding

Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU.

Make sure you plug the CPU power cable in...

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Is there a speaker plugged in (to the connection near the power, reset, etc. connectors)? If not, you won't hear the beeps anyway. Does it stay booted for long, or is it continuously rebooting? Try with the other stick on its own.

rdsxrule117

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Yes, the speaker is plugged in. and the ram sticks are brand new as well. G-Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL so I wouldnt assume they are at fault.
It stays booted, but nothing comes on screen. just the fans are going.

Goldfolk

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
If the ram or videocard were faulty then the motherboard would beep.

I think the problem is more basic than that. If your level of expertise is such that you are confident that you have installed the processor in its socket properly, attached the fan in the right manner, attached the fan connector to the right header, installed the motherboard without shorting it somewhere, have all the power connectors fully plugged in and the power switch attached to the right pins then it's a MB fault.

Asus motherboards tend to be very reliable so make sure it isn't something trivial first. When this happens with me it tends to be that I have forgotten a power connector somewhere or haven't plugged one in far enough.

Finally, make sure you didn't plug a USB connector into a Firewire socket or vice versa because if you did you fritzed the board.

rdsxrule117

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
green light on the motherboard is on. And yes, I have plugged in the power supply connector, however in this case it is an 8 pin.

@rolli59, believe it or not I have tried every single entry on that list. I read through it twice.

This is not the first time I have installed a motherboard, so I know what I am doing here. And the CPU or PSU cannot be at fault because I put my old mobo back in and the rig works just like before.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Seeing it is an open box, check the serial number on the box matches the serial number on the board. It is possible that someone bought it, swapped their faulty motherboard for it, and returned it. Not likely, but it has been known to happen.

rdsxrule117

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Well this is frustrating. Got the new motherboard today and installed it and it still will not work.
Here's what happens:
I press the power and the fans start. There are no beeps and nothing comes on screen. I have plugged in the system speaker. I have tried taking out the video card, ram, and all peripherals except the cpu but nothing has worked. I tried resetting the CMOS. I also went through the list of things to do that was previously posted. I feel like I can say that the motherboard isn't at fault here. Does anyone think it could be the CPU? It's an AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0Ghz

Assuming that you have a case speaker installed, silence means bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU.

Because you went through the "No boot" sticky (you did do all the steps?), try this:

The following is an expansion of my troubleshooting tips in the breadboarding link in the "Cannot boot" thread.

I have tested the following beep patterns on Gigabyte, eVGA, and ECS motherboards. Other BIOS' may be different, but they all use a single short beep for a successful POST.

Breadboard - that will help isolate any kind of case problem you might have.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboarding

Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU.

Make sure you plug the CPU power cable in. The system will not boot without it.

I always breadboard a new build. It takes only a few minutes, and you know you are putting good parts in the case once you are finished.

You can turn on the PC by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes to. You should hear a series of long, single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence indicates a problem with (in most likely order) the PSU, motherboard, or CPU. Remember, at this time, you do not have a graphics card installed so the load on your PSU will be reduced.

If no beeps:
Running fans and drives and motherboard LED's do not necessarily indicate a good PSU. In the absence of a single short beep, they also do not indicate that the system is booting.

At this point, you can sort of check the PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU of around 550 - 600 watts. That will power just about any system with a single GPU. If you cannot do that, use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=youtube_gdata

A way that might be easier is to use the main power plug. Working from the back of the plug where the wires come out, use a bare paperclip to short between the green wire and one of the neighboring black wires. That will do the same thing with an installed PSU. It is also an easy way to bypass a questionable case power switch.

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

If the system beeps:
If it looks like the PSU is good, install a memory stick. Boot. Beep pattern should change to one long and several short beeps indicating a missing graphics card.

Silence, long single beeps, or series of short beeps indicate a problem with the memory. If you get short beeps verify that the memory is in the appropriate motherboard slots.

Insert the video card and connect any necessary PCIe power connectors. Boot. At this point, the system should POST successfully (a single short beep). Notice that you do not need keyboard, mouse, monitor, or drives to successfully POST.
At this point, if the system doesn't work, it's either the video card or an inadequate PSU. Or rarely - the motherboard's PCIe interface.

Now start connecting the rest of the devices starting with the monitor, then keyboard and mouse, then the rest of the devices, testing after each step. It's possible that you can pass the POST with a defective video card. The POST routines can only check the video interface. It cannot check the internal parts of the video card.

Solution

rdsxrule117

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Thanks for the detailed reply. When I tried breadboarding, there were no beeps at all. So my plan is to ask my friend to let me borrow his power supply and see if that will make the thing finally boot.
However, the power supply works perfectly with my old Asus M4A785-M, so can I really point the finger at it?

G

Hi , so all your hardware is compatible with each other you need to do your checks ???, have you checked asus website for your model number and your ram is definetly on the list ???,the reason im saying this I build alot of custom pcs for customers and I know asus boards are a bit fussy with what ram you fit, have you tried to reset the bios as well, also ive noticed you sent back your mainboard and replaced it with another asus board and i take it your using the same ram ??? i think its down to your ram you be better of getting a brand like corsair or kingston

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Hi , so all your hardware is compatible with each other you need to do your checks ???, have you checked asus website for your model number and your ram is definetly on the list ???,the reason im saying this I build alot of custom pcs for customers and I know asus boards are a bit fussy with what ram you fit, have you tried to reset the bios as well, also ive noticed you sent back your mainboard and replaced it with another asus board and i take it your using the same ram ??? i think its down to your ram you be better of getting a brand like corsair or kingston
It is not the RAM as he said there were no beeps or anything (the problem was still there) when there was no RAM used.

G

yes i know that but he has tried two different boards with the same ram its not a power issue either its down to uncompatibility with the ram he is using doesnt support his motherboard and ive checked with manufacturers. And regardless of him trying and testing with no ram in and no beeps doesnt mean its a board problem asus boards are very fussy with ram I might be wrong he might have another dodgy board if that is the case hes very unlucky, I much prefer Gigabyte boards built well with solid components on , But im still saying change the ram which does support his board

G

You could try some of the things below as follows

Solution

1.0 the power LED is on
1.1 Make sure all cables are connected well
1.2 Please clear CMOS to have a try(refer to motherboard manual for details)
1.3 Keep the necessary components ( a CPU, a memory, a graphic card )on board to test
1.4 If there is still blank screen, please connect the connector of speaker to check if there is any beeps
1.4.1 If there is no beep, please contact your retailer for a check
1.4.2 If there is beep, please try to judge from the beep code as the following steps, if the problem still remains after the troubleshooting, please contact your retailer for a check.
1.4.2.1 Memory issue: Beep (1 long 2 short)
A Clean the Golden Finger of memory
B Clean the memory slots
C Leave only one memory stick to test
D If convenient, please change different memory to test again
1.4.2.2 Graphics card issue: Beep (1 long 3 short)
A. Clean the Golden Finger of graphics card
B. Clean the graphics card slots
C. Try to test the onboard graphics card if there is onboard VGA integrated
D. If convenience, please change different graphic cards to test again
1.4.2.3 CPU issue: Beep (5 short)
A. Check whether the CPU is in our CPU support list
B. Check whether there are any damagers of your CPU or CPU socket.
C. Check whether the CPU fan is correctly connected
D. Check whether the ATX_12V power cable is connected well
E. If possible try to test with another CPU
1.5 If the PC could POST after the troubleshooting as the steps 1.3, please plug components back one by one to find out which one may cause this problem

2 the power LED is off
2.1 Make sure the power cable which connects to the front panel is well
2.2 Please swap a power supply for a try if possible.
2.3 If the problem still remains, please contact your retailer for a chec

Status
Not open for further replies.