Question No Bios Posting & Lights Cycle on Motherboard

Jan 7, 2023
Hey guys, hope someone can help. I’ll post my specs first and then the issue i’m having.

motherboard: asus rog strix b550-F gaming wifi II
Gpu: asus rog strix rtx 3060 v2 LHR
Cpu: ryzen 9 5900x
Ram: g.skill trident rgb 4 x 8gb quad channel ram
Power supply: 850watt evga bronze 80+
case: lian li cool rgb mesh II

issue: i was working on a word document when suddenly both my monitors display turned off. I look down to my pc and its still on. I turn off my pc using the power button on the case. When i turn it back on, there’s no bios posting and nothing loading. After the second try, I look at my motherboard and notice the lights are cycling red: cpu, white: vga, yellow: dram. Then it just keeps cycling. One thing to note is that when the light cycles to white and red it only stays on for one second but when it cycles to the yellow light it stays there for roughly 3 seconds.

precursor to the issue occurring: my pc would not post bios but the pc would turn on. I would turn off the system and turn it back on to fix this. When I first had the build, there were times when the second or third ram stick would turn off the rgb. The only way to get the rgb back was to turn off the entire system and turn it back on.

Things i’ve tried: reseating cpu, test and reseat gpu, reseat ram, clear cmos, dry boot with no m.2 and no ssd connected. After trying all this I replaced the motherboard with the same model/type. Still the same cycling lights.

Things I haven’t tried: replace cpu, and replace power supply. When i called asus support, they suggested for me to test with a new power

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
Hey guys, hope someone can help. I’ll post my specs first and then the issue i’m having.

motherboard: asus rog strix b550-F gaming wifi II
Gpu: asus rog strix rtx 3060 v2 LHR
Cpu: ryzen 9 5900x
Ram: g.skill trident rgb 4 x 8gb quad channel ram
Power supply: 850watt evga bronze 80+
case: lian li cool rgb mesh II

issue: i was working on a word document when suddenly both my monitors display turned off. I look down to my pc and its still on. I turn off my pc using the power button on the case. When i turn it back on, there’s no bios posting and nothing loading. After the second try, I look at my motherboard and notice the lights are cycling red: cpu, white: vga, yellow: dram. Then it just keeps cycling. One thing to note is that when the light cycles to white and red it only stays on for one second but when it cycles to the yellow light it stays there for roughly 3 seconds.

precursor to the issue occurring: my pc would not post bios but the pc would turn on. I would turn off the system and turn it back on to fix this. When I first had the build, there were times when the second or third ram stick would turn off the rgb. The only way to get the rgb back was to turn off the entire system and turn it back on.

Things i’ve tried: reseating cpu, test and reseat gpu, reseat ram, clear cmos, dry boot with no m.2 and no ssd connected. After trying all this I replaced the motherboard with the same model/type. Still the same cycling lights.

Things I haven’t tried: replace cpu, and replace power supply. When i called asus support, they suggested for me to test with a new power
I would have to agree with asus and second the power supply. I was going to mentioned memory, then motherboard but it seems you already got to that. The best way to test power supply failure unfortunately is to get a new (or another) power supply of similar or better caliber. You probably already tried this too, but does anything happen when you only have 1 of the ram sticks in the system? Try cycling all different sticks to see if it's one bad stick that is causing things to break. Worth a try at least before getting a whole new PSU.

Reactions: ThanatosP3
Jan 7, 2023
I would have to agree with asus and second the power supply. I was going to mentioned memory, then motherboard but it seems you already got to that. The best way to test power supply failure unfortunately is to get a new (or another) power supply of similar or better caliber. You probably already tried this too, but does anything happen when you only have 1 of the ram sticks in the system? Try cycling all different sticks to see if it's one bad stick that is causing things to break. Worth a try at least before getting a whole new PSU.

hey, thanks for replying. I have not tried a new psu because I tried testing the easiest/quickest things first. Before I called asus, I never would have thought that a psu could power on a system and all the fans but make it so the bios does not post due to it being faulty somehow. The asus support person said that the cycling lights may indicate there being more than 1 issue going on with the hardware. If that’s the case then there’s a chance that either my cpu or psu are bad or both could be bad/faulty.

as for the ram sticks, i tried buying 2 packs of corsair vengeance 2x 8gb ram sticks from best buy. The new ram did not resolve the issue. I tried previously testing one ram stick at a time on the first slot closest to the cpu, but I did not do the “push power button with everything disconnected to drain any residual power from the motherboard” in between testing the ram sticks. What I did when testing the ram sticks was turn off the pc with the power button, then turn off the power supply using the switch on the back and then I waited until the motherboard rog strix emblem rgb turned off then tried changing out the stick with another one of my trident sticks.

i got a new power supply and can return it if that’s not the issue. Same with the cpu i ordered another one for testing and can return it to amazon if it doesn’t work either.