No BIOS screen, no nothing.

ljmatthew

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I'm here on behalf of my buddy. He is having quite a difficult time with his computer.

It began with his HP H8-1020. He wanted to upgrade to play some of his new games.

He decided to purchase a newegg combo deal with a NZXT Hale90 and EVGA GTX 760. Now that beefy power supply wasn't going to fit in the HP case so he had another tower laying around. He threw the PSU and all the stuff from the HP into that case. He booted it up heard some beeps (he didn't tell me the sequence) but the BIOS screen did not display. He swapped out the GTX 760 with his old card and it booted up just fine. Then he uninstalled his old GPU drivers and installed drivers for the new card to see if that would work. It did not so he put the old card back in. This time he thought maybe it was a motherboard compatibility issue. He went to HP's website and downloaded a BIOS update. After the screen displayed that the BIOS update had successfully completed he restarted as the screen said and the darn thing won't boot up anymore. He tried resetting the CMOS to see if that would help, nothing. Took out some RAM, nothing. Took it to our local PC shop for a diagnostic, they couldn't figure it out (they didn't charge him). So at this point he figured the BIOS update corrupted his motherboard. He went out to another local PC shop and purchased an ASUS H61M-A. He came home switched all his components and stuff to the new motherboard, booted it up and still nothing. No BIOS screen, none of his peripherals (keyboard, mouse, monitor, headset) react. The only thing that reacts is his ethernet cable. The little lights blink on the motherboard. We just cannot figure it out.

My idea is that maybe the power supply has fried both motherboards? He is really tearing his hair out over this and I can understand why. He thinks he just needs a new processor and motherboard but I honestly think his processor is fine. It's a nice Intel Core i7 2600s.

Edit: Yes, all cables were plugged in and seated correctly!

Typolo

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Sounds like it worked with out the new gpu and fails only with the new gpu?
Sounds like you got a faulty 760. RMA it for a replacement if you still can. Then try the replacement.

ljmatthew

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

The thing is he tried both his perfectly working old GPU and the new GPU on both old and new motherboards. I don't think that is the issue.

ljmatthew

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

No, it never booted properly with the 760. In HIS box. His box (both old and new motherboards) will not boot with both old and new GPU anymore. It will not boot with onboard graphics either. The new GTX 760 is perfectly fine as I put it inside MY tower and it booted up perfectly fine. Sorry, I forgot to mention that I tested his GTX 760 with MY tower.

Typolo

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
ok, I'm not an expert with motherboards, but sounds like they both got fried or their are bios issues. I know you already tried fixing the bois, so I would point the finger at the power supply since the new one along with the old one are both fried.