[SOLVED] No Bios splash screen with CSM dissabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CORTO-MALTES

Prominent
Jul 5, 2022
Background: Attempting to upgrade windows 10 to windows 11.

I bought a new computer screen .
I bought a new motherboard : Gigabyte Z590 AORUS MASTER which has integrated graphics,
Intel(R) UHD Graphics 750.
I bought a new GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1650

I connected the monitor with my GPU through an hdmi cable, I changed the CSM in the
Bios as required by the installation of windows 11, putting it as dissabled, and I restarted the
computer.
The result was that I did not see anything on the screen until the windows 10
welcome screen was displayed. No BIOS splash screen.
I tried several ways to solve the problem and the only way I got it was by connecting the
monitor to the graphics card integrated on the motherboard and removing the personal GPU.

Suspicion: It is impossible to see the BIOS splash screen through the GPU when the motherboard has another
integrated graphics card and the CSM is set to dissabled.

Has anyone got it?

Solution

I bought a new motherboard : Gigabyte Z590 AORUS MASTER which has integrated graphics,

I connected the monitor with my GPU through an hdmi cable, I changed the CSM in the
Bios as required by the installation of windows 11, putting it as dissabled, and I restarted the
computer.
I tried several ways to solve the problem and the only way I got it was by connecting the
monitor to the graphics card integrated on the motherboard and...

computer.
monitor to the graphics card integrated on the motherboard and removing the personal GPU.

Suspicion: It is impossible to see the BIOS splash screen through the GPU when the motherboard has another

Has anyone got it?
Test display port.

Reactions: BH383
Solution

computer.

Has anyone got it?
You could look through all of your bios settings and see if there's one for setting the initial display to GPU rather than igpu. It may be labelled Initial Display Output. Refer to page 55 of your manual. You may also have to Disable Internal Graphics.

CORTO-MALTES

Prominent
Jul 5, 2022
As you can see in the manual....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Initial Display Output

Specifies the first initiation of the monitor display from the installed PCI Express graphics card or the onboard graphics.
IGFX (Note) Sets the onboard graphics as the first display.
PCIe 1 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX16 slot as the first display. (default)
PCIe 2 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX8 slot as the first display.
PCIe 3 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX4 slot as the first display.
This item is configurable only when CSM Support is set to Enabled.

Internal Graphics

Enables or disables the onboard graphics function. (Default: Auto)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Initial display output can be selected only if the CSM is enabled.

The other option, to disable internal graphics, I haven't tried it, I will, thanks.

Colif

Win 11 Master
do you have fast boot enabled?

Mine does that because Ive enabled fast boot, other people see it when they disable CSM as part of enabling UEFI boot particularly using DP. If it boots into Windows its not too much to worry about - I always use the fastboot tool in App Center to reboot into BIOS - other people use the boot options in Windows to do the same thing when they cant get into BIOS with a keyboard.
no flash screen

With fastboot enabled and CSM disabled its normal not to see a BIOS screen - the first thing I always see is the Windows logo.
Even that depends on HDMI handshake - with DP maybe it shows nothing until Windows login. I would expect turning off fastboot would help, but the CSM setting could also be a factor.
I always use the GB fastboot app installed with App center to get into BIOS
If it boots to windows I wouldn't be too worried - but if you boot to BIOS and still just get permanent black-screen it might be worth trying a clear CMOS
no bios screen

Seems to be a feature of UEFI boot on Intel Gigabyte boards, and some AMD ones.
if i restart I see the Aorus bios menu for a short while, then logon screen. I don't have fast boot on though.

if you want to get into bios again, and it auto takes you into windows, you can get there from inside windows.

1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose UEFI Firmware Interface
PC should restart and put you in bios.

Last edited:

CORTO-MALTES

Prominent
Jul 5, 2022
First question: No, I don't have fastboot enabled.

Second question:
The way...
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose UEFI Firmware Interface
....., it does not work. It leads to a black screen from which you have to exit by turning off the computer.

CORTO-MALTES

Prominent
Jul 5, 2022
It's already resolved. I thought I had tried everything, but no, when I connected the new graphics card to the terminal through the DP ports,
everything went perfectly.
A note for those who need it, that with windows 11 the HDMI ports have not worked for me (black screen).
Thank you very much to all.
This post can be considered resolved.

Reactions: BH383
Status
Not open for further replies.