No Bioshock for X800/850 owners? Wait a min...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jepperson

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
"Who on earth would enjoy playing a game at 10 fps on a SM2.0 card anyways."

Since you obviously don't know what you are talking about GTFO. I get bare minimum mid 40fps. The main creator of this fix has a 8800 himself, but he enough sense to realize they should have supported SM2.0. The 8800s, 2900s, and the 1900s > X800s, thats about it. Graphic card families overlap each other so much when they are released, if you were to upgrade from a x800 to a 2600 for example it would be DX10 and SM4.0 support, but performance wise it would be a backwards step.

Another pic, it just keeps getting better, and they are no where near done.
b1cr9.jpg

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

What I don't understand is why AMD and Nvidia crippled their newer gen budget chips? They could have done better. Thats not to say they are completely useless. I just got an XPS M1330 laptop with the 8400GS and it scores 1625 in 3Dmark06, which if I recall is about the same as an X800XL on my old Athlon machine 3000+.

It can actually run Bioshock demo SM3 @ 800x600 with high settings and slightly jicky in a heavy fight. Its not ideal but I was surprised it worked at all.

jepperson

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Yep, the 8600/2600 and lower DX10 cards are pretty weak.
As for 2K not supporting SM2.0 it is all about $$. Nvidia "the way it's meant to be played", right.
It worked in everyones favor, Nvidia, 2K and M$ not to support SM2.0.

cleeve

Illustrious

Congratulations!

You win the "ignorant elitist twit who doesn't know what he is talking about" award... :sarcastic:

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

Consider that not everyone with the financial means have the will to spend their disposable income on a new high end GPU every year or two. It was not so long ago that a x800 was a good video card and not necessarily cheap.

Also consider that some owners of these cards may be in college or even on their way.

And finally consider that the purpose of this thread was to help people run the game without an sm3.0 card, not to belittle them.

On topic here is a good Bioshock tweaking guide that gets into the some more info on running with sm2.0.
http://www.tweakguides.com/Bioshock_9.html

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

you keep posting that pic in multiple threads even, it looks horrible and I'm not talking the white area either.
Yours

vs
Mine(7900GT)

Why keep posting an ugly pic when there are better ones running around

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006

Going to a college and mugging rich college kids is NOT the answer! :non:

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Not everyone on this forum is still living under their parent's roof, and able to spend $600 with mommy's credit card whenever a new GPU comes out.

jepperson

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
actually that wasn't my pic, I run at higher resolution than that, that was someone elses, and there are better pics of the mod out there just look around. I just grabbed the first 1 I seen for an example.

cleeve

Illustrious

heheh. Hate you? The only emotion you'll be getting from me is pity.... :lol:

Besides, I get my computer hardware for free. That's what happens when you're a hardware reviewer, lad. :D

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

And the last thing i said was

Why keep posting an ugly pic when there are better ones running around

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

That's an absolutely baseless acusation. People need to get lives and upgrade to SM3.0 so we don't have to hear people whining all day long.

cleeve

Illustrious

Kind of like accusing a person of being poor or working at McDonalds?

How does your foot feel, being so far in your mouth like that... :D

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005

"Get lives"? :lol: No offense to anyone at this forum because I'm just as guilty as the rest of you, but most people who "have lives" don't spend hours locked away in a room playing video games... on the latest hardware or otherwise. They also don't go around trying to show off how cool they are based on how good of a system they have... they use things like houses and Bentleys to do that... :ange:

-mcg

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
ok, another voice from the 'not rich' crowd here.

I dont work at Micky D's (or any other food establishment for that matter), but infact am a computer professional. Ok, you would think that would make me rich (dont all computer pro's make mega bucks??) well, newflash, MOST computer professionals (ok let me narrow that down, I am a hardware man, NOT software) in my field dont make a hell of a lot.

My meager income goes to the following items (pretty much in order of necessity).

1. Feed the wife and kid
2. keep the roof over the head of me and family (read this as all household related expenses, other than food)
3. auto upkeep (gas, insurance, maintainance, etc.)
4. well, that just leaves me about 5 bucks a week to spend on whatever the hell I want..

as you can see, even tho I work with cutting edge hardware for my customers every day, I dont get to play with it on my own personal pc. if your interested in what you can build for a VERY minimum of $ outlay, look at this. (mind you, nothing has been added to this in about 3 yrs).

p4 2.8 northwood
P875 mobo
2 gig of ddr (mismatched, no dual channel for me!)
numerous hdd's of various sizes
X800XL (which is a recent aquisition, about 6 months ago).
Audigy

I got most of the parts there for free, from friends who have (or had) too much money in their respective pockets and were upgrading constantly.

nucleus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
upgrading is a bitch might as well join the crowd.i have got to upgrade mine soon.the idea of all that money leaving my hands makes me sick

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007

annisman got owned! :hello:

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

ROFL, BTW I never once mentioned or 'bragged' about what kind of hardware I have ONCE on this thread, for all you know I have an x800 myself. When it comes down to it I just cant stand the whining. Shut up, buy the new vid card or keep your mouth shut. Is my response to this thread. That picture looks like garbage. Other people have agreed. Maybe you are supposed to have a decent vid card to play the game..... so that it actually looks nice, IMo nobody can experience Bioshock or any other New game coming out with at least decent hardware. Oh and BTW i have a Camaro. No house yet, I'll sell my x800 and get working on that right away for ya. :kaola:

TRENDING THREADS