No bookable device

tomtom11928

Reputable
Mar 17, 2015
One day my laptop decided to not recognise my hard drive and said 'no bootable device'. Because of this I've just bought a Kingston V300 for my laptop but it still says no bootable device... any help as nothing is appearing in the boot option menu?

if the hard drive died do you have a set of vendor recovery disk or did you make a new windows 10 usb stick to install windows to the laptop. you have to set the boot order to the usb or cd rom boot from it and install windwos onto the ssd. if you want the facotry image contact the laptop vendor and buy the restore cd or look on ebay for one.

tomtom11928

Reputable
Mar 17, 2015
I've never replaced parts before sorry guys. I can do things like that but I don't delve into BIOS' much and stuff like that.

So if I was to use an 8GB memory stick to create an ISO, would the boot order recognise that or....

It depends on how the boot trder is set up. On my system I don't have the USB in the boot order - so someone doesn't just boot to a usb on my system. You may be able to press a button(sometimes it's F11 or F12) to set up a one-time boot, and select the USB from there. Your laptop manual should be able to tell you.
Also go here to create USB media.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

tomtom11928

Reputable
Mar 17, 2015
Well it automatically redirects me to the boot order list but even though I've installed my SSD it doesn't appear on that list. Does that mean it's broken or is it because there's no OS as of yet on it?

TRENDING THREADS