Question No Boot after significant upgrade - BIOS question included

Jan 8, 2021
Hey Guys/Gals,

Upgraded my computer with a new case, PSU, Mobo and CPU. Unfortunately, I'm not having success. The relevant parts are below:
  • X570 Aorus Pro
  • 5800x Processor
  • 16GB RAM (2x8)
  • 750w Modular PSU
  • GTX 1070
  • 1x M.2, 1x 2.5" SSD, 2x 3.5" HDD

• Computer will 'power on', meaning that the lights will turn on, via the front power button.
  • Computer will not 'power down' via the front power button. I have to use the rear switch.
  • No display at all. My monitor doesn't even recognize a signal is being sent (so likely not one).
  • LEDs on MOBO will cycle between CPU and DRAM (mainly DRAM). I have attempted a reseat and single stick but no luck there. This feels like a red herring to me.
  • Peripherals (RGB) will not light up, thus do not appear to have power.
  • QFlash does not seem to operate. I have plugged a created USB into the rear and pressed the internal flash button but nada.

The current setup is CPU, RAM, GPU and M.2 (M.2 is a pain to get to so haven't tried without it), Fans, and the front headers.

I have ordered a new internal speaker to see if it's giving a beep code but my suspicion is not. I previously jerry-rigged an old broken one (the cables broke) and it did not appear to make any noise. It could have just not have been working but I'm fairly confident the jerry-rig was adequate (a phrase you always want to hear).

My thought was that my 5000 series CPU was just not working because of an old BIOS. The store told me that it's likely using the oldest BIOS available to it. However, what kind of behavior would this board give me if that was the situation?

I thought I'd post on here just in case I've missed anything and people had any ideas! I can't do anything more today and the internal speaker arrives tomorrow anyway. My first thought is to get it down to barebones without CPU and RAM since QFlash apparently works without these. If it doesn't even begin flashing then perhaps it's just the board, hence the lack of peripheral power?

Thanks for any input in advance,
SinPi

Jan 8, 2021
Ah, right! Makes sense then by the sounds of it. So this is exactly what you'd expect from an incompatible BIOS? Even the lack of power to the peripherals?

That behaviour appears to be of an incompatible CPU.
How did you performed the QFlash BIOS update?
Turned the computer on at the mains (not the front switch), plugged in the USB to the correct rear port, pressed the internal flash button. Tried holding it, tried pressing multiple times etc. Didn't see anything happen on the LED next to it.

Sounds like I just need to get it to barebones then.

" So this is exactly what you'd expect from an incompatible BIOS? Even the lack of power to the peripherals? "

You really don't know what you're going to get with the wrong BIOS....but this doesn't surprise me.

Update the BIOS to F30 before you do anything else.

Jan 8, 2021
Removed the CPU, GPU and RAM then tried the BIOS utility with the internal button. No luck unfortunately. I'll see if the speaker helps at all tomorrow but maybe something is up with the mobo? It should be able to flash without that stuff from what I've read.

Removed the CPU, GPU and RAM then tried the BIOS utility with the internal button. No luck unfortunately. I'll see if the speaker helps at all tomorrow but maybe something is up with the mobo? It should be able to flash without that stuff from what I've read.
I've never used "BIOS FLASHBACK" because every MB I've had....where I've had to do a BIOS update....didn't have it....so I'm kind of at a loss as far as troubleshooting that.

Ah, right! Makes sense then by the sounds of it. So this is exactly what you'd expect from an incompatible BIOS? Even the lack of power to the peripherals?

Turned the computer on at the mains (not the front switch), plugged in the USB to the correct rear port, pressed the internal flash button. Tried holding it, tried pressing multiple times etc. Didn't see anything happen on the LED next to it.

Sounds like I just need to get it to barebones then.
If the store told you about the BIOS update, you should have done it, before installing CPU, RAM and GPU as per manual included with the motherboard.
That could have been easily done even outside the PC case.

Just to make sure ...these are the steps to follow for a QFlash Bios update.
Power off PC, power off PSU and unplug power cord from PSU.
Remove CPU, RAM and GPU.
Plug power cord and turn on PSU.
Just head to Gigabyte website, download the BIOS for your motherboard, extract the file, and place the BIOS file on a USB flash drive (FAT32).
Plug the USB flash drive to the white USB port.
Press the QFlash Button (3 seconds) until LED starts to flash and release it.
The PSU will power on and you might see some LED lights on the motherboard.
Wait for the red blinking LED light to go out and wait for PSU to power off.
It could take up to 15 minutes for the BIOS update to finish, DO NOT touch a thing.

After it finishes, turn off PSU and disconnect power cord.
Install CPU, RAM and GPU back.
Plug power cord and turn on PSU.

Jan 8, 2021
Hi guys.
Very late response, apologies.

This was resolved soon after. Turned out it was, weirdly, an issue with the USB for whatever reason. Grabbed a new one, downloaded the file, renamed it, shoved it into the machine and it worked. No problems after that.