[SOLVED] No Boot after Win 10 Clean/Fresh Install on M.2 SSD PCIE NVME

Jan 12, 2019
Product: HP Omen 15-5010NR
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-Bit)

I've been trying to get my machine to boot in the Win 10 install with no luck. I installed a new 256GB Samsung PM961 OEM M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Solid State Drive MZ-VLW2560 960 into my HP Omen 15 5010NR laptop, created a Win 10 USB key, was able to boot into the Win 10 USB, the installation recognized my SSD and I was able to successfully complete the Win 10 installation. Upon restarting the PC, the machine never sees the SSD in boot manager and I'm unable to get to Windows.

- BIOS Version F.45 (InsydeH20 Rev. 3.7) latest available from HP for my model

- Laptop Factory OS was 8.1 per BIOS

- Disabled Secure Boot no luck

- Also tried with Legacy Support (CSM) enabled, no luck

If I use the Win 10 key to boot to the repair tools and use command prompt, I can see the partitions created. Tried all kinds of bootrec, bcdedit commands based on Google.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
I think I figured it out. I believe the HP bios doesn't support NVMe, but rather SATA only. I didn't realize there's an M.2 SATA vs and M.2 NVMe. I was able to work around the boot by first booting into a third party UEFI, the Clover EFI (installed on a USB), then selecting the Windows partition on the NVMe M.2 SSD to boot into. This isn't ideal because it requires me to have the USB plugged in and extra steps just to boot into Windows. I'm going to try find a SATA M.2 SSD and try from there. If anyone has other ideas, please let me know.

Seems the Clover EFI can support NVMe drivers, just need to move some files around, details on setting up the USB for the Clover EFI can be found here...
Can you post a screen capture of disk management showing the two drives installed ?
You can re enable secure boot and csm. I suspect the drive is not functioning properly and needs to be returned under warranty.If convenient, pick up the latest version, the 960 EVO. More expensive, but likely more compatible with your system as well.

Jan 12, 2019

sorry haven't been able to get screenshot, but the disk is there with the 4 partitions Windows creates (recovery, system, OS, some reserved one). Drive not faulty, it shows up, just post boot.

Jan 12, 2019
I think I figured it out. I believe the HP bios doesn't support NVMe, but rather SATA only. I didn't realize there's an M.2 SATA vs and M.2 NVMe. I was able to work around the boot by first booting into a third party UEFI, the Clover EFI (installed on a USB), then selecting the Windows partition on the NVMe M.2 SSD to boot into. This isn't ideal because it requires me to have the USB plugged in and extra steps just to boot into Windows. I'm going to try find a SATA M.2 SSD and try from there. If anyone has other ideas, please let me know.

Seems the Clover EFI can support NVMe drivers, just need to move some files around, details on setting up the USB for the Clover EFI can be found here:
https://www.win-raid.com/t2375f50-Guide-NVMe-boot-without-modding-your-UEFI-BIOS-Clover-EFI-bootloader-method.html

Solution