Question No Boot and Black Screen after upgrading RAM

Oct 10, 2023
Hello All!

New here and found the forum after having this issue with my computer. I read through at least 5 different posts with similar problems but haven't come to any conclusion for myself yet. Also new at troubleshooting computer hardware. My experience has always been store bought PC's and plug and play cards/ram. Never have had an issue until now.

I bought Crucial Pro RAM 32GB kit (16GB x2 3200MT/s) to replace the 8GB (3000MT/s) ram in my computer currently. Boots only with the old 8GB and with 8GB + 16GB Crucial stick. But when i try both Crucial sticks I have a black screen and no boot but fans and lights are all on and it doesn't shut off or anything like i read on other posts.

Here are some of my hardware stats (Computer is an ABS bought from newegg about 3 years ago):

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H ver1.x
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
OLD RAM: T-Force 8GB 3000MT/s
NEW RAM: Crucial Pro 16GBx2 3200MT/s
BIOS Ver: American Megatrends inc F50

Steps Taken:
  • Crucial Pro 16GBx2 installed
    • Result No boot ( Lights and fans run but have black screen)
  • T-Force 8GB installed
    • Result boots up
  • T-Force 8GB + Crucial 16GB installed (Need to confirm this is true for both sticks of the crucial memory)
    • Result boots up
    • System information shows 24GB of ram (however i doubt its optimized because of the differing speeds and brands of ram)
  • Reset CMOS by motherboard instructions, unplugged from wall, jumpering a 2 pins together
    • Still no boot with new Crucial Pro 32GB memory
    • Might try again after holding the power button for 30 seconds

Next Ideas:
  • Checking BIOS and seeing if i can get a version up
  • Trying to downclock the new RAM (I saw on an amazon ad that said it could be downclocked)
  • I used the Crucial website to find compatible RAM but recently saw that my Mother board can do 3200 O.C. which i assume means over clocked... So maybe i got the wrong RAM from crucial? Or maybe it can be clocked down.... And the current 8GB ram is also 3000MT/s which was supposedly too fast for the motherboard too....

Other than all this I am at a bit of a loss. I put a help ticket in with GIGABYTE too but haven't heard back and its been 4 days. I have very limited experience with BIOS but I think i saw an update on the Gigabytes site. I'll try to see if there might be other firmware updates too on their site for this motherboard.

Anyways any help and thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thank you very much!

Solution
Thank you for the input. I need to learn how to update the BIOS. I imagine I might need a wired keyboard?? My wireless keyboard doesn't seem to be allowing me access to the BIOS or I am pressing the wrong button. I have tried F2, DEL, F12, and F4. And maybe some others. I tried to clear the CMOS but I might try again after pressing the power button for like 30seconds to deplete any power left maybe... I read that someplace.

So yea my next step is figuring out how to update the BIOS which I have never messed with before but I'll do my best! Thanks so much for the input!
MB manual should tell you all about updating BIOS, it's not complicated if you follow instructions...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H ver1.x
+
BIOS Ver: American Megatrends inc F50
I would personally gradually flash the BIOS to the latest version(F56f), clear the CMOS after you've successfully flashed to the latest version then try and boot up with base clocks, if it POST's.

If the platform POST's with mix sets of ram, that would indicate a couple of things;
1| Your processor's IMC is not compromised(not a CPU issue)
2| The ram kit you got might be at faulty, so that would mean an RMA is needed
3| The BIOS might need an update although it's not corrupt at this point to allow for mixed sticks of ram to work
4| The ram slot that wasn't populated prior isn't faulty.

Oct 10, 2023
Thank you for the input. I need to learn how to update the BIOS. I imagine I might need a wired keyboard?? My wireless keyboard doesn't seem to be allowing me access to the BIOS or I am pressing the wrong button. I have tried F2, DEL, F12, and F4. And maybe some others. I tried to clear the CMOS but I might try again after pressing the power button for like 30seconds to deplete any power left maybe... I read that someplace.

So yea my next step is figuring out how to update the BIOS which I have never messed with before but I'll do my best! Thanks so much for the input!

MB manual should tell you all about updating BIOS, it's not complicated if you follow instructions
If wireless KB doesn't work in BIOS you are going to need wired one.
300 series MBs are pigs to set RAM faster than 3000MHz but it should start at default 2133MHz.
You can clear CMOS also by taking battery out for a minute or two although that would also set wrong date and time.

Solution
Oct 10, 2023
I finally was able to get into my BIOS! Small victories! I had to google not being able to get into BIOS and eventually it lead me to go through settings and recovery and UEFI boot or something like that. I'll have to book mark the webpage so I can get back. to it at a later date.

I've updated the BIOS to F56f.

There are so many settings in here and the Mother Board manual mostly gives definitions. I think I might want to try to change the System Memory Multiplier... Right now it is says Auto and has 24.00 next to it and shows the memory frequency at 2400MHz but I know the working stick is a 3000MHz.

I am going to reboot. And install the new sticks of RAM and cross my fingers. I'll give you an update.

Oct 10, 2023
I have installed the new sticks of RAM and removed the CMOS battery. Going to give it a few minutes and reinstall everything. I had to remove the video card to get to the battery. Hopefully this will help...

Oct 10, 2023
I think this is solved!!! After updating BIOS I got help with getting my new SSD working. After that I turned the computer off, removed the graphics card and the CMOS battery for at least a minute. While the battery was out I installed both new sticks of RAM. Then re-installed the CMOS battery and the graphics card. Booted it up and at first it was a black screen but eventually it came up! It shows 32GB of ram now! So stoked! Thank you everyone that helped! I super appreciate it!

Reactions: CountMike

TRENDING THREADS