Question No boot/bios display - Im going mad

Oct 27, 2021
Hi all, new to the website. If Im in the wrong forum section I apologise.

i5 9th 9400f (no onboard gpu)
16gb Vengance Ram
8gb RX470 Nitro GPU
MSI Mortar Motherboard (Brand new)
750w PsU (brand new)

Here’s my problem - built my pc, have done a few before so am not a total amateur. Everything was working fine for 9 months until one day I went to turn it on and no, PSU fired up, gpu lights on but weirdly no leds on motherboard and no display of any description. Monitor was saying nothing connected. Power from usb ports still lit up keyboard etc so I immediately thought motherboard issue.... to be on the safe side I shoved in a new 750w psu at the same time as a new motherboard. Put it all back together and virtually the same thing is happening - it turns on but absolutely no boot sequence except now my m/board VGA error led has lit up and my monitor wont recognise any connection (Ive tried different things through the lead and the lead/monitor is fine). Even if I plug the hdmi into the motherboards own display output I have nothing. I’ve tried swapping ram and combinations of ram, bios reset, re-built it, sworn at it (a lot)...

I have reluctantly bought an overpriced gpu from eBay which is on the way and can push on if not required but am I right in thinking that if that doesn’t solve it - the only thing left is the CPU?

I’m not a heavy gamer the cooling system is decent.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021
So what you’re saying is that anything can go wrong after 9 months no matter what the brand/model? I agree! So why bother asking what brand/model the brand new and tested components are?