Question "No boot device found" after cloning Win 10 --- I turned off Secure Boot but Windows Update keeps turning it back on ?

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Long title, but long question/problem. I ramble, so I'll pose a quick question, which is pretty much the title, and give more info.
Got my son a new m.2 a few months back. Cloned his older m.2 and worked fine. A day or two later he kept getting "No Boot Device Found". I couldn't figure out the problem and I got around it by disabling the TPM. Every month, with Window's monthly, bigger update, he'll turn on his computer and get the same message again. I'll go in and have to disable it all over again (and really F'ING annoyed that Windows is able to make changes to the BIOS, especially without permission).
Would turning on the TPM and do an "install in place" fix this issue? Or would I have to do a full reformat (or keep turning the stuff off every month with M$ decides to F*** around with it again). He's mostly interested in keeping Win 10, though I don't think it would matter a great deal either way.

Son's (he's 14. Knows enough how to work a computer, and I've had him join in on a few builds growing up, including the one he has now, which is a hand-me-down) system is:
Core i9 10940X @ 4.8GHz (I had it at 5.2, all core. Upgraded to Core i9 11900K for PCIe 4)
Gigabyte Aorus X299X Master motherboard
4x4GB DDR4 3200 RAM
EVGA RTX 3050
m.2 is WD Black SN750 1tb, upgraded from a Samsung 960 Pro 512gb. (Uses it for gaming, but downloads TONNES (Canadian) of mods, especially stuff for Garry's Mod).
He also has an old 2TB mechanical in his system that's unplugged at the moment. When I gave him his first initial system (he's been getting my hand-me-downs for years, along with a Plex media server I also run), I put in the 2TB mechanical and told him to use that for downloads, mods, etc. Stuff that would be backed up in case we ever needed to reformat. I didn't know until I bought him the new m.2 for his birthday that he was actually using the D: drive to install his Steam games, and run them from that. Massive step up, as you can imagine.
Anyway,

Colif

Win 11 Master
tpm shouldn't need to be on in win 10, so its odd it fixes the problem

windows update shouldn't be able to turn secure boot on if its off in the bios. Windows by itself can't change BIOS settings, but applications can.

which bios does he have? if you not sure, can look in system information app, there is a heading called BIOS version/date
https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/X299X-AORUS-MASTER-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

when he cloned the drive, did he remove the old one before restarting PC?

can you right click start
choose dick management
expand the top & bottom areas of disk management to show all details.
take a screenshot and upload to an image sharing website and show link here.

Just curious what it looks like.

not a big jump in games between hdd & nvme, really. depends on games, but most load about same time.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
tpm shouldn't need to be on in win 10, so its odd it fixes the problem

windows update shouldn't be able to turn secure boot on if its off in the bios. Windows by itself can't change BIOS settings, but applications can.

which bios does he have? if you not sure, can look in system information app, there is a heading called BIOS version/date
https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/X299X-AORUS-MASTER-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

when he cloned the drive, did he remove the old one before restarting PC?

can you right click start
choose dick management
expand the top & bottom areas of disk management to show all details.
take a screenshot and upload to an image sharing website and show link here.

Just curious what it looks like.

not a big jump in games between hdd & nvme, really. depends on games, but most load about same time.
I'm not positive, but I think TPM was turned on with his older SSD. I'm not sure though since it's been a few months, and he was/is running Windows 10.
After cloning the disks, yes, I removed the older one so it was just the new one hooked up. All was running fine, gaming, etc. so far as I know. Then a couple of days after we cloned it, he came to me saying his computer wouldn't start. I looked and it had the error, "No Boot Device Detected". I tried a bunch of things to get it to work, but the only thing that worked was turning off the Secure Boot. Like you, figured it's not really needed for Windows 10. Then a few weeks ago he came to me and his computer had the same problem. "No Boot Device Detected". It was on a Wednesday, after Windows updates. I went back into the BIOS and had to turn off the Secure Boot stuff again. No problems again until he got home from school yesterday, went to turn on his computer and got the same error again. He doesn't 'tinker' enough to go into the BIOS and change anything.
Pretty sure the BIOS is the latest because I think I updated that when we first started having problems after the cloning. The only other thing I can think of is a bad restart after the bigger Windows updates, and the BIOS resets to factory defaults, which turn it back on.

TRENDING THREADS