No boot device found. HDD to SSD migration aftermath win10 laptop

varun12

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Hello,

Steps I followed. 1TB HDD to 960gb SSD migration failed.

Attached new 960GB SSD to my laptop via USB 3.0 enclosure. (after initializing and assigning letter)

Easeus "Clone drive"

Copied C drive to SSD target - I didn't copy recovery disk or other -just the main C drive cloing. Then selected target drive and checked on Optimize for SSD

After it was finished -I put in my laptop and voila nothing at all happened and got that error.

My laptop comes with mSata boot cache 80GB - so I tried removing that and booting still nothing happened
I tried to wipe the cache and reset it and still nothing happened.

Did I need to do some additional steps that I forgot to do?
Shrinking?
Some chanting?
Rituals?

varun12

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

For example when I clicked on Clone - it showed me C drive and 10gb for recovery -so I select them both?

I think it also shows 10gb of mSata empty space as well lol

I'll try re-cloning. Damn it takes long. Btw do I need to do something with mSata? or just removing it after SSD boots properly won't interfere with anything right?

Because i'm waiting for delivery on 500gb mSata as well so it'll need to be replaced anyways.

Well, if the system works with teh HDD with the msata removed, clone it like that.

varun12

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

I mean , I'm wondering would it make a difference because currently mSata had boot cache enabled from factory. Do I need to disable something in Win10 ? to ensure that no mSata won't make a difference?

also , do I need to shrink the 1tb HDD before cloning or something like that or just clone simple as that along with recovery?

Just remove the mSATA and see if it works. It should.

Try to clone the entire disk. If the cloning software is smart enough, it will offer you the option to proportionally shrink teh partitions, provided they are not all full of data.

varun12

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hey bro,

it worked. Thanks a lot.

Problem was the software Easeus I think. It was cloning in less than 2-2.5 hours and I downloaded Macrium and it did the same process in 6 hours or so.

This time I also copied 10gb worth of recovery and 16mb worth Dell fat utility or something as well which I omitted last time.

Out of 960GB I have only 884GB available on my 1 TB HDD was 934 present but I have 250GB free on both.

Waiting for mSata 500GB now -to transfer programs there.

Happy so far. Boot time is almost the same since I had mSata as boot cache.

I hope battery life improved as well.