[SOLVED] No boot, no power?

Aug 15, 2020
Was playing a PC game on my computer and everything including my lights went dark. They were off for a while however the rest of my house lights were on. I checked the fuse and it had tripped. Flipped it back and my system is dead, tried other outlets and other power cables, no change.

Specs
Thermaltake smart series 600W PSU
Random motherboard out of an old optiplex 990
I5 2400k
GTX 1050 TI

All worked before this happened and just broke. I don't have the money to just guess what the problem is and I also cannot afford to take it to a shop and pay diag fees. Hoping the forums can help.

Solution
One that is (much) less in quality and just $10 less in price, which imo you just should invest. But maybe this one will be fine for your system,
https://www.microcenter.com/product...t-80-plus-bronze-atx-non-modular-power-supply
not really what i want to recommend. The CX is is a better option. It at least has a 5 year warranty, but is in tier D in this list although i don't know for what reason, might be components or bad ripple or both.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Well we can only make an educated guess based on the info given, but looking at what happend and that Thermaltake series not being the best might it well be the psu.

Can you see if you can make the fan spin from the psu?
▶ Manually Test a (PSU) Power Supply With a Multimeter by Britec - YouTube
one of the things he does at first in this vid is connecting the green plus a black wire to make the psu start. If the fan just won't spin we surely know that it is the psu.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dabombcoming
Aug 15, 2020
Yeah I tried that and I get nothing. But without it working I don't know if the motherboard is dead either. Best start is a new PSU, could you recommend one for around $50-60?

Aug 15, 2020

Is there one I could pick up at maybe a microcenter? For roughly $40-50? I really don't have much to budget at the moment and I need my PC working within a day or so. However I do appreciate the fast and useful response!

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
One that is (much) less in quality and just $10 less in price, which imo you just should invest. But maybe this one will be fine for your system,
https://www.microcenter.com/product...t-80-plus-bronze-atx-non-modular-power-supply
not really what i want to recommend. The CX is is a better option. It at least has a 5 year warranty, but is in tier D in this list although i don't know for what reason, might be components or bad ripple or both.

Solution
Aug 15, 2020

Gotcha thank you. Sorry I'm on a (very) tight budget at the moment. Just one last thing, do I really need more than 500w for my rig? 2 HDD 1 SSD, no RGB and an old Corsair kicker case along with some dirt cheap case fans. Granted I use it for gaming but I also don't overclock whatsoever. Sorry if this is being picky and I know beggars can't be choosers but I only plan on using this rig for another year or so before I sell and upgrade. Would 350-450W cover it?

Aug 15, 2020
This is also basing off of the specs listed above, forgot the mention that. But still, my GPU only inserts to my motherboard and doesn't require a cable. And the CPU only uses a 4 prong connector. As for the fans there are 3 total including CPU cooler. 1 stock case fan and the stock Intel cooler. The other I got for $3 and plugs into specifically my PSU, there's no other hardware in the rig itself. I do run 2 monitors and as for peripherals just my headset, Corsair mouse and a cheap RGB keyboard that only pulses. Not much else there and no other RGB in the rig. With no over clocking and minimal peripherals I'm trying to go as cheap as I can whilst still having reliability with the rig itself, so as to not have this issue again. Doesn't have to be thermaltake PSU or anything specific just has to work and be reliable for atleast a year.

Aug 15, 2020
Yes those wattages are fine for parts in the pc, but his was what i would take as bottom of the barrel.
Didn't see this until after my last reply but thank you, I'll be making a run there after my buddy brings his PC to confirm it is only my PSU that fried itself. As for the help it is much appreciated!