[SOLVED] No boot on breadboard, DRAM debug LED on

Tigerwarrior1

Reputable
Jul 8, 2017
Hello!

I just recently bought off eBay a fairly cheap MSI A320M PRO-VH that's been kept in good condition. I had a leftover Ryzen 3 2200g lying around with its stock heatsink and thought why not give it a home. I tried to breadboard with it and noticed the CPU debug light is on. Turns out the motherboard wasn't flashed for 2nd generation Ryzen yet so I bought a 1st generation Ryzen 5 1600 CPU that I plan on booting with in order to flash the BIOS into a more recent update that will make the A320M compatible with my 2200g.

When I tried booting with the Ryzen 5 1600, the CPU debug light is now off, however now the DRAM LED is on. I tried every ram in my household to try to get it to boot. Some of my ram sticks were even on the supported ram list for the motherboard. The CPU fan on the heatsink would slow down after a couple of seconds when I turned on the system on certain ram sticks I tried. I thought it was a sign of acceptance for those sticks, but still, no display and the DRAM debug LED stays on. On the breadboard, I had an R9 270x hooked up to an HDMI so I can try to get an output to my monitor. I've tried 2 power supplies, 2 different monitors and HDMI cables, and 2 different GPUs (Sometimes I tried no GPU at all), to make sure it wasn't those at fault. The main PSU I'm using is the Corsair CX550m. I even reset the CMOS and I use a flathead screwdriver to connect the 2 pins that power the system. I'm hoping nothing is shorting the board or any of this is damaging the ram I test.

I used about 4 different bundles of ram on every slot with every combination. There are only 2 DIMM slots on the motherboard but I tried many dual channel combinations anyways.

1x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 2400MHz (BLS8G4D240FSB)

4x16 Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666Mhz (CMK16GX4M4A2666C16) //This Corsair Vengeance ram is literally on the supported ram list! Maybe the ram is broken I'm not sure :(

4x16 HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 3000MHz (HX430C15PB3K4/16)

And just cause why not I tried some office ram 4x16 Kingston 8GB DDR4 and Samsung ram as well.

If anyone could help me that'd be amazing.

Thank you for your time,
Tyrone S.

Last edited:
Solution
Quick Update for anyone with future problems:: I tested it with more compatible RAM sticks that are on the QVL list and decided to just buy an entirely new motherboard. I bought the B450M PRO-M2 and it ended up working perfectly with the same parts that I had at hand. So I'm assuming it means the DIMM slots on the motherboard I bought off eBay were defective. I guess that makes sense due to the EZ Debug light for DRAM always being on no matter what, even when there were no RAM sticks in it.

Note to self: Stop buying refurbished or used motherboards from eBay no matter how new or trustworthy the seller can be.

I sadly had to discover this by myself without anyone's help on TH :(

But on the bright side, I'm happy I discovered...

Tigerwarrior1

Reputable
Jul 8, 2017
Quick Update for anyone with future problems:: I tested it with more compatible RAM sticks that are on the QVL list and decided to just buy an entirely new motherboard. I bought the B450M PRO-M2 and it ended up working perfectly with the same parts that I had at hand. So I'm assuming it means the DIMM slots on the motherboard I bought off eBay were defective. I guess that makes sense due to the EZ Debug light for DRAM always being on no matter what, even when there were no RAM sticks in it.

Note to self: Stop buying refurbished or used motherboards from eBay no matter how new or trustworthy the seller can be.

I sadly had to discover this by myself without anyone's help on TH :(

But on the bright side, I'm happy I discovered the problem anyways.

Thanks,
Tyrone S.

Solution