No boot, powers off after half a second

Will Sharp

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
Breadboarding a new mobo with just CPU and HSF attached. Turns on and fans start spinning, then shuts off after half a second. Repeats this cycle for however long.

This is a brand new Gigabyte z97x-ud5h motherboard. The PSU is a Kingwin MK-1000W. The CPU is an Intel i7 4790.

So when I turn on the power switch on my PSU, the orange light behind the power button on the motherboard turns on. When I press that, things start to turn on but not for very long. After they turn off, a couple seconds go by, probably like 3 or 4, then it tries to start up again. I have a case speaker attached as well but I only hear a very faint noise come out of it when I start, but it's not a beep. It sounds like it wants to beep but the power cuts out before it can.

I've tried with one ram stick installed. I've cleared cmos several times, I've taken the battery out and then put it back in after 30 seconds, I've even tried the PSU on another motherboard and it works fine.

I think something is wrong with the motherboard and I have an RMA ready to go for it, but I wanted to see if there was something else I should try.

Thanks!

Solution
Obligatory, i'm sure you have thermal paste between your HSF and CPU.. moving on.

I have this problem with my memory + pci-e slot. My system is a bit dated, so I have to reseat the memory modules (without the gfx card) and when that works (it will boot to POST) insert the gfxcard. Anyway..

That speaker tidbit is... peculiar heh, and that had me thinking about how power was going thru your mobo. It also had me remember this article by Uncle Toms, about how PSUs and mobos work together regarding low supply and auto power off. *googels*

The Math Behind GPU Power Consumption And PSUs
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-power-supply-balance,3979.html

You mentioned another motherboard? Maybe you have another PSU lying...

Will Sharp

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014

Yes the board is outside the case on top of the box it came in. The 4 digits are 1441.

Will Sharp

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014

I have already performed both of these checks, but I will perform them again to double check.

Update: So I look and I found a pin that looked a little floppy so I tried to make that one better. When I put the heatsink back on and plugged the cpu fan in and tried to turn it on, it powered up then down again, and it did this cycle fairly quickly, but I didn't wait to see what would happen if I left it like that. I've tried several times to replicate this result now and I can't seem to get it to do that. Is it possible the motherboard would at least beep or sustain power if the cpu was faulty? I don't have any other Intel cpu's to try either unfortunately.

pecul1ar

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Obligatory, i'm sure you have thermal paste between your HSF and CPU.. moving on.

I have this problem with my memory + pci-e slot. My system is a bit dated, so I have to reseat the memory modules (without the gfx card) and when that works (it will boot to POST) insert the gfxcard. Anyway..

That speaker tidbit is... peculiar heh, and that had me thinking about how power was going thru your mobo. It also had me remember this article by Uncle Toms, about how PSUs and mobos work together regarding low supply and auto power off. *googels*

The Math Behind GPU Power Consumption And PSUs
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-power-supply-balance,3979.html

You mentioned another motherboard? Maybe you have another PSU lying around? Try using that one for the gigabyte mobo.

Solution

Will Sharp

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
Hello. Thanks for the advice, I actually just got the parts back from a local computer shop that has extra parts and they tried turning my motherboard on with my cpu and they said it worked fine! I guess I need a new power supply, even though it works in the current motherboard. The only thing that was different between their set-up and mine was the RAM, which I know works and even if it didn't 100%, it would at least beep at me, and the PSU. I guess the PSU is the problem so this thread is closed. Thanks!