No boot priority list in Aorus z390 Master bios

Nov 25, 2018
I just built a new rig with the Aorus z390 Master. Have a Samsung 850 1tb SSD on SATA 0. All connections are fine. The SSD is recognized correctly in the SATA Config screen in bios, but absent in the boot priority list. Was going to try and load windows 10 from a portable USB drive, but that drive is not recognized at all by bios. Going to borrow an internal dvd drive and try to get bios to recognize that drive, but without the SSD in the priority list, how will I ultimately be able to set it as the boot drive? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

shadeablaze

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
I am having the same problems with booting.
I have the Z390 Aorus Master.
I am attempting to change 1 item at a time. I noticed that the system keeps reverting changes randomly (don't know if your system has a similar issue).

Plugged in USB, and it is recognized but won't boot. M.I.T. is untouched. System is untouched.
Bios: Disabled full screen logo. ThaT is the first evidence of reversion in the bios.
- fast bood disabled
Windows 8/10 set to other os
csm support disabled.

Under periphials, USB device is set to auto, attempt setting it to hard disk.

I then went down to Sata and RST configuration and selected the PCIe storage on Ports 9 and 17 as RST controlled.

Next, I selected the RST Driver and set up the PCIe devices in RAID.

Well, PCIe is now set up, but the bootable thumb drive isn't recognized no matter what I do either. I will keep working on mine, if you have a solution for the thumb drive, I am all ears. I will try aNd remember to follow up tomorrow.

Nov 25, 2018
Hi and thanks for your response. Like you I have changed virtually every setting in bios trying to get things working, but no go. Also, no random changes for me in bios as far as I can tell. I am also going to install an internal blue ray drive and see if it gets recognized.

BTW, do you have a drive attached and is it recognized in the SATA section at all?

My board currently has bios revision F4. I have downloaded the latest F6 bios from Gigabyte and tonight I am going to attempt and upgrade through Qflash. My keyboard is recognized on one on board USB 2.0 port and hopefully, the memory stick will be also. I am keeping my fingers crossed and will let you know. If it doesn't work, I will try and return the board and replace it with another manufacturer. Extremely frustrating to say the least!!

I will let you know what happens.

Thanks again.

Nov 25, 2018
Well, downloaded and extracted bios version F6 for an upgrade. Copied the extracted file to a flashdrive and tried to update using Qflash. Qflash kept telling me the file was corrupt and unreadable. Funny thing, when I escape out of Qflash back into bios, boot priority sees my SSD (but not my DVD drive which is recognized BTW in Peripherals/SATA); however, if I reboot into bios, my boot priority is empty again! Tried downloading and extracting bios F6 from all sites and the same thing happens very time I try to upgrade. I have used Gigabyte boards for years without a glitch, but this mother is being pulled out and RMA'd. They can put it where the sun don't shine for all I care. I am through with Gigabyte!!

Nov 25, 2018
Just for the hell of it, I tried one more thing. Even though my dvd was not seen in boot priority, I went ahead and inserted the win10 disc in the drive and rebooted. Low and behold, it was detected and I am now loading Windows onto my SSD.
I have been mucking around all this time trying to set the boot priority when it seems I didn't have to as long as I was installing through the dvd. Have no Idea if this would work from a flash drive or not, but at this point I am keeping the board and will see how it goes.

I've just assembled that very board (Z390 AORUS MASTER) and initially had some confusion in my BIOS settings, until i noticed my board arrived set up for "Dual Bios" - i have no idea what purpose letting the board have access to both BIOS serves, but i had no issues after i un-selected the backup bios

- out of curiosity, did you try using the backup BIOS? To select it, there's a mechanical switch for each BIOS, the 2nd image below has a schematic that is a little confusing - easiest way to remember, if the switch on each BIOS switch is set to the right or to "1", then that BIOS is selected - if both are set to "1" then you've got dual bios setup. Bios switch labeled "BIOS_SW" is the main BIOS and the simply labeled "SB" is the backup BIOS (this is at the bottom left hand corner of the first image

on the second image, the upper LED is the backup BIOS and lower one is the main BIOS - whichever is lit, is the one operating, if both are lit, then dualbios

hope that helps

73aFwRX.jpg

49N8KXW.jpg

Nov 25, 2018
Hi Ralph and thanks for your detailed response. To be honest, I didn't even pay attention to whether or not dual bios was set and no, I also didn't use the backup bios because I figured they would both be F4 and the backup would probably give me the same issues. And I just check and my board is also set to dual bios as default.

Even though the DVD drive is not seen in boot priority, it is listed as present on SATA port 1 in the Peripheral/SATA section of bios.

I am going to switch to single bios and see if that makes any difference with the boot priority list, but for now everything is up and running and no further glitches so far.

Shadeablaze, I am sorry but I don't have a solution for the bootable thumb drive as I did not try that route. I do know that the thumb drive was recognized when I was trying to upgrade bios through Q-flash, and all the USB 2.0 ports on the back of the board are working. You might try switching from dual to single bios as Ralph did to see is that makes a difference. I have not tried that yet but will when I get back from a trip. Good luck!

Dec 2, 2018
Been having the same issue with my gigabyte aorus z390 ultra I just bought yesterday, spent the entire day and today troubleshooting. I still have yet to come to a resolution. Sometimes I boot up and drives are recignized, there's a boot priority list that I can manage - however consistently I boot and it goes right to bios and then no boot priority list. Last night successfully installed Windows, updates, drivers, apps, etc, restarted a few times and thought " there's no way this fixed itself". Woke up today hit the power button and the nightmare started all over again. Still cannot figure out why the boot priority list is just disappearing then reappearing. I am about to call it quits and return the mobo and grab an asus. Anyone find a fix yet?

Gigabyte aorus z390 ultra
Intel 8700k
1080 gtx
2x g.skillz trident 3600mhz 8gb
Samsung 970 Evo 1tb
Seasinic 1000w psu

shadeablaze

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
I upgraded to F6. It appears that the boot priority is based upon sensing a boot loader partition already being installed. I had some issues with some USB's being recognized at all (that was a frustrating issue). It didn't matter what USB port I plugged the drive into. I had to use a different stick for it to work. And work it did (same load by the way). I played around with the settings and have everything working - if you have any questions.

just to be sure, you did format the usb flash FAT32?
2nd, you just remeinded me, mine gave me the same 'not a valid file" until i moved the stick to USB 2.0 port

and 3rd,i'm RMAing my board back to newegg, but last night it occurred to me to try booting up on the back up BIOS
- world of difference in my BIOS's response time, etc

if you try it, remember, left switch is main and off is to the left, right switch is backup BIOS and to the right is on

Dec 2, 2018
It certainly is the boot partition that needs to be addressed. After going through some more troubleshooting it occurred to me that it could be a big possibility that the USB I was using to install windows might not have booted in UEFI initially, starting a string of events that resulting in the principal error discussed I this thread.

My course of action worked without a hitch. I will outline my fix step by step.

1. Created a fresh copy of windows install media onto a UEFI flash drive.
2. Powered down and unplugged PC, hit the power key multiple times to clear any charge that might have lingered, then prepared to clear cmos.
3. Cleared cmos. On the Aorus master I believe there is a jumper option, however, on my aorus ultra I have to use a metallic or conductive object to touch both pins for a few seconds (I held it for 20 seconds).
4. Powered system on and enter bios, I would suggest updating bios at this point if you haven't already. I had updated previously and the update stuck even after cmos clear.
5. Change CSM to disabled.
6.change OS type to 'other os'
7. Disable secure boot and reset keys.
8. Save changes and restart.
9. Make sure USB windows install media is plugged in, (I like to wait for the restart, go back into bios and to a hard shutdown -- plugging in the flash drive while powered off.
10. Boot up from USB install media and install windows. ( if your m.2 ssd is already partition because you have already installed windows -- you should delete these partitions. I actual performed a PartDisk during windows install to ensure a clean slate, you dont want any wrong boot partitions on there)
11. After install it's a good idea to go into the bios, under secure boot, key managet and load factory default keys, the. Change OS type back to windows 8/10
12. Make sure you remove the USB install media to avoid that weird boot hand when trying to continue windows setup.
13. After windows is installed and you happy as can be because you can finally use the hardware you spend all your money on, got back into bios and enable csm and set up secure boot if you like, I chose to keep these disabled. If you do enable secure boot, please read up on how to properly do this as there are issues that may occur if performed wrong.

Hope this helps some one suffering from the same issues. Good luck!

Oct 25, 2018
Ever since I 1st booted my new system Master build it boots into BIOS 1st try, save and exit and loads into OS every time. This morning it seems to have broken itself overnight.

Now it will only boot into bios. I tried updating bios from F4 to F5 and filially F6 but it still only loads into bios.

I found this post and I also seem to be missing all my boot priorities from the bios exit tab.

My bios switches were also set to dual bios, I had never touched them before this morning. I managed to get OS to boot by using the secondary bios set to single mode. Using the secondary bios I have a list of drives with a boot priority option.

Question- I’ve never owned anything with any type of dual bios. If the 1st bios is corrupt, with it set to dual from factory will it automatically load the 2nd bios on reboot?

This maybe be why my PC always needs 2 goes to fire up.

Dec 2, 2018

Thats correct. If your bios setting are causing any errors, for example, if your overclock setting are unstable, it will revert to the backup bios. You can always clear cmos if this happens but the best thing to do is always save your stable bios profiles before making changes to your bios.

Oct 25, 2018
I got this from Gigabyte, it might help someone

Please try to reset the CMOS to see if the system can boot from the main BIOS.

1) Disconnect the power cord from the power supply. Remove the CMOS battery (the flat silver disk) from the motherboard. Leave it out for a minute or two, then replace it and power on the system. The BIOS settings should have been reset, allowing the computer to boot.
2) Go into the BIOS - “Load optimized default”
3) Save settings and exit.

If the issue still remains please contact your dealer to return the board for BIOS repair. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

when my Gig Aorus master board went bad, the BIOS kept getting more corrupted, no matter about clearing CMOS - it didn't help. By corrupted, at first it would take 3-4 attempts to change a setting and get it to "take" - ie the change would be there after a reboot.

Then even though i hadn't changed clock ratio, it would boot up showing a clock speed of 1.3 GHz, and this was when i was still at 4.8 OC

when i spoke to the GIg tech support rep, it seemed awfully quick for him to tell me my BIOS chip was bad and to RMA it.

I'm now on my 3rd mobo, and actually love it (MSI MEG Z390 ACE) - the GUI has to be the easiest to comprehend - very intuitive, and no indications of corrupting. THe board itself of the 3 boards (asrock Taichi, GIg Aorus Master and this MSI) is the tackiest in appearance, hell the "heatsink" cover for the M.2 SSD is Stainless steel, which is a horrible converyor of heat, to make sure, they layered a 1/16" pc of polymer overtop as part of the design. But performance wise, i can't explain this, of the 3 boards, large files transfers are abnormally fast thru the USB 3.1 ports (no not using the Gen II port yet), but also actual rendering large video files, a file that took 41 minutes on my X99 mobo with a i7-5960X cpu (also 8C/16T) took 27 minutes on the GIg mobo with the 9900k

that same file took under 20 minutes on the MSI board, and that's the part i don't understand - both times the cpu was at 4.8 OC

May 5, 2019
This worked for me:

On Aorus boards there are (2) sets of SATA ports. There are ASATA and Chipset SATA ports, both are numbered 0-3.

I found that when I utilize ONLY the Chipset SATA ports with my boot drive in the (0) port, I no longer have boot issues. Try swapping all drives to one or the other SATA ports with your boot drive in (0) and you may have some luck.

Happy troubleshooting!