[SOLVED] NO BOOT Samsung 870 QVO from 240 GB Toshiba SSD (Disk 0) with Macron hurts

sixty4

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
Solution
Indeed.
Try just a regular OS install on this drive, just to rule out the thing malfunctioning.
Just to see if it actually works.

Installed internally, not hot swap bay, only this drive connected.
Reduce the potential fail points.

RealBeast

Titan
I would start over from scratch, and no clones. You need to secure erase the Samsung, which many UEFI have as a tool, if not you can use a diskpart clean all. Then with only the Samsung drive attached do a clean installation.

Perhaps I misses it in the old thread, but it may help to know what exact laptop model you are using. Thanks.

I expect that USAFRet may drop in, as he is very knowledgeable in this area. Don't give up too fast this time. Keep the thread going until it is resolved or you decide to RMA the drive (if it fails Magician testing).

sixty4

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
Ok, thanks. I have tried two 1TB Samsung 870 QVO drives thinking one was faulty and DISKPART but I could only use DISKPART to CLEAN the drive when the drive was in a docking station. Windows 10 wouldn't recognize it at all on an new install and the drive was only accessible to DISKPART when in the docking station. After DISKPART worked I installed the 1TB Samsung 870 QVO by itself and the Windows Install still would not recognize the drive. I can see the drive via Disk Management when the Toshiba is the primary drive.

Hopefully something will work out, I may try to bypass the hot swap setup in my case but I wonder if something is different about the higher capacity drives and I plan to try a BIOS Update.

USAFRet

Titan
Indeed.
Try just a regular OS install on this drive, just to rule out the thing malfunctioning.
Just to see if it actually works.

Installed internally, not hot swap bay, only this drive connected.
Reduce the potential fail points.

Solution