Question No boot - steady clicking from motherboard speaker

Bagmoon

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2013
Hi folks, I'm pretty sure that I know the answer to my own question but I thought that I might check the forum's wisdom before I go shopping.

I built a computer for my girlfriend's kid using using a bunch of spare parts I had and it was working fine up until her cat knocked a glass of chocolate milk on to it. It looks like most of it ended up on the GPU (an old HD7850) and inside the power supply. I removed both affected parts and cleaned up a rather stinky mess of sour milk out of the bottom on the case 🤢. It doesn't look like it splashed on to the CPU, RAM, or motherboard power connectors. The motherboard has a DVI connector and I have not been able to get a signal to a monitor. I first tried to boot it up after cleaning it, and got a really weird mix of buzzes and beeps from the motherboard speaker - a long buzz, followed by a short buzz, followed by 3 or 4 beeps. The case fans and cpu fan spun but the rear fan hooked to the system fan motherboard header did not. I haven't been able to replicate that string of beeps. It alternated between a constant buzzing noise and a steady clicking noise during subsequent attempts while I steadily unhooked more components.

The motherboard in question is a Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2PV (yes I know it's old) and I now have it in minimal boot configuration with a CPU (4th gen i5), single RAM stick, and a different power supply. I pulled the CMOS battery for 5 minutes to reset the bios. Nothing else is hooked to the board except for the case power switch and hard lights. The motherboard speaker now emits a steady clicking noise instead of the usual string of beeps that would help a person to diagnose a no-boot problem.

So long story short - it's pooched, right? I can't think of anything else to check, and I think that I'm better off buying some more used parts off of the local buy n sell and building something else for her instead of wasting more time on this thing.

Thanks for any feedback.