Question No boot with 3rd RAM stick?

Statik SA

Honorable
Mar 2, 2014
Recently upgraded my PC, i have 3x 4GB DDR4 Kingston sticks (all same specs). All worked on my previous CPU and showed 12GB in WIndows

Now that i put in the new CPU it is not booting if i put the 3rd stick leaving me with only 8GB, it will only boot with 2 sticks.

Any idea? Thanks

I tried 1 by 1 and different slots, reseating etc no luck.

Statik SA

Honorable
Mar 2, 2014
All are Kingston with only one module differing in model name. Its 2 KVR24N17S6/4 And one KVR24N17S8/4

It used to work before on the same motherboard i am using now with a less powerful cpu I had.

I went from a i3 8100 to a i9 9900.
On the ASUS B360F STRIX

The 12gb worked fine on this same mobo with the i3 so why is not working with the i9?
Just 8 working now though on the new cpu.

Hi I was in the middle of typing when diddly posted , he is right , ram should always be in pairs and you should never go 50% you should always double what you are using.

IMPORTANT …. make sure the MHz figures are the same on all sticks or the lower MHz will pull down the performance of the higher one.

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
Recently upgraded my PC, i have 3x 4GB DDR4 Kingston sticks (all same specs). All worked on my previous CPU and showed 12GB in WIndows

Now that i put in the new CPU it is not booting if i put the 3rd stick leaving me with only 8GB, it will only boot with 2 sticks.

Any idea? Thanks

I tried 1 by 1 and different slots, reseating etc no luck.
I think that's the limitation on B365 motherboard, most i9 use Z390 or at least Z370

Hello,
check out again how did you installed the memory sticks.

For example, the RAM sticks that are pair (same characteristics) goes on DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2,
and the single one in DIMM_A1. If this doesn't work place them in different slots but always use the dual channel for the RAM sticks that came in pair.

Yeah that's why Cary Holzman says to always save the CPU socket cover on a new motherboard incase you have to ship it out for RMA or leave the CPU out for a while. He says the Motherboard makers won't even accept a board for RMA without that CPU cover on it.