No boot with PCI cards

kbo5000

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Hi all.

I have a very strange issue that is really making me pull my hair out.

I have a new PC build that I have had for about 4 months, I have had the odd little issue here and there, but all has run well.

Until now, I tried to boot up my PC a week or so ago and got a series of beeps and nothing on the screens. After trying a few different things, I found that the only way I could boot was to remove the pci-e graphics card (nvidia geforce 610) and all was fine.
I am planning on upgrading gfx anyway, but that's a different story.
I have an old radeon card that I know is fine, tried that and got the same issue.

Today when I tried to boot I had the same failed startup sequence, even without the gfx inserted. The only other card in the pci slots is a via firewire card, this is used for an external audio interface/sound card, which has also not been recognized in the past week or so.

I removed the card and it boots fine again.

Forum searching has me believing this is a cmos, mobo or psu problem. All less than 6 months old. The psu is 625w, which I thought to be ample for my requirements

Can anybody shed any light on what is happening here? I need both of these cards in place as I am running a home recording studio.

Any help is much appreciated

Xttony

Distinguished
Reset the bios, plug in the pci card(not the 610) go to bios disable onboard graphics and save the settings. Now plug in the graphics card and see if it runs. If the problem continues I'd recommend you to get the psu checked.

kbo5000

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

Thanks, I did as you said (resetting the bios only involves removing the cmos battery, correct?), and when I tried to boot I had the same issue. It started ok with the PCI firewire and went into BIOS, but after installing the PCI-E graphics, it repeated the beeping with no boot. After removing the graphics, it still would not boot until I removed the firewire as well.

The first boot had some fans, lights and HDD activity, then stopped, reset itself then continued to boot as normal (single beep, bios screen etc)

Do you still believe the psu could be at fault? Do you think it is not powerful enough or just faulty?
It is only a few months old, and from what I believe, I am not demanding huge power consumption

Thanks again

Xttony

Distinguished
625watts is more than enough for your needs but many strange problems arise due to malfunctioning psu.
It is always better to use a CMOS jumper to clear the bios settings unless you have a clear CMOS switch.
Update bios and try again with one ram card in slot 2.