Question No Boot

RaeBoe

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
I apparently had a power outage while away since all my clocks were flashing. My desktop was plugged into a surge protector. Long story short my computer would not boot. Well, the case fans were not working but the GPU CPU and PSU fans were cycling on and off. I replaced a new PSU with no change. Steps I took, pulled and changed the CMOS battery, removed the GPU, removed the RAM, reinstalled RAM cards in one at a time in different slots, disconnected everything from the motherboard for the most part and still the CPU and PSU fans cycle on and off no boot up. The power and reset lights are on at the bottom of the mother board. Any ideas before replacing the motherboard, CPU, operating system and spending a bunch of money...I bult this unit years ago and has worked flawlessly till now even though it has some age to it. Thanks!

Asus X99 Pro
Intell 5860?
GPU GeForce GTX 960
XPG ADATA DDR4 4GX8

I apparently had a power outage while away since all my clocks were flashing. My desktop was plugged into a surge protector. Long story short my computer would not boot. Well, the case fans were not working but the GPU CPU and PSU fans were cycling on and off. I replaced a new PSU with no change. Steps I took, pulled and changed the CMOS battery, removed the GPU, removed the RAM, reinstalled RAM cards in one at a time in different slots, disconnected everything from the motherboard for the most part and still the CPU and PSU fans cycle on and off no boot up. The power and reset lights are on at the bottom of the mother board. Any ideas before replacing the motherboard, CPU, operating system and spending a bunch of money...I bult this unit years ago and has worked flawlessly till now even though it has some age to it. Thanks!

Asus X99 Pro
Intell 5860?
GPU GeForce GTX 960
XPG ADATA DDR4 4GX8
Bypass the surge unit...test.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
My desktop was plugged into a surge protector.

Overall, these do more harm than good.
Further reading: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/everything-work-but-it-doesnt-work.3773133/#post-22771910

I replaced a new PSU with no change.

Make and model of old PSU was?
Might as well include new PSU make and model as well.

With blackouts, it is possible that your PSU did go "pop". And with this, you can consider everything that was hooked to PSU, to be toast.

Only way to know, what survived and what didn't, is when you have 2nd, compatible system, where to test out all of your components individually. Fastest would be PC repair shop where they diagnose the issue.

I apparently had a power outage

UPS will protect against that. Moving forwards, i suggest that you also invest into good UPS to protect your PC. E.g line-interactive, true/pure sine wave will do fine.

IMO, every PC should be backed up by an UPS. (Two of my PCs, Skylake and Haswell, are, one UPS per PC. Full specs with pics in my sig.)

RaeBoe

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Ok so I removed the CPU and cleaned any dust & thermal paste and repasted reinstalled CPU still PSU and CPU fans cycle on and off. I also unplugged everything including case fans from the mother board, hard drive, and USB, speakers etc. and still CPU & PSU fans just cycle off and on. Since the CPU and the MOBO are the only things left hooked up how do I know which is bad CPU or MOBO? There are no indications of burnt capacitors etc. or no smell of anything burnt at all anywhere. Thanks!!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Since the CPU and the MOBO are the only things left hooked up how do I know which is bad CPU or MOBO?

I already answered you that:

Only way to know, what survived and what didn't, is when you have 2nd, compatible system, where to test out all of your components individually. Fastest would be PC repair shop where they diagnose the issue.

Btw, if you don't have any RAM in it, system won't boot either. So, you have 3 suspects actually: CPU, MoBo or RAM.
Also, all three could be dead as well. And given that you didn't disclose to us, what your old PSU was, i guess it was a no-name, junk unit.

RaeBoe

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Well, I tried a second CPU and still the same. Nothing changed for the better looks like a MOBO is the problem if not more. Earthworks 500-watt PSU is what i had for years. I probably wasted money on the Aresgame AGW 750 watt PSU that didn't fix the problem either. Asus X99 pro MOBO is obsolete too except for used ones on Ebay that are asking more for them than they cost new back in the day so looks like I'll be starting from scratch on a new build!! Thanks for the help!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Earthworks 500-watt PSU is what i had for years.

Not the best PSU to begin with.

Aresgame AGW 750 watt PSU

The Antec unit you had, is actually better than that Aresgame unit.

Aresgame is a brand of Chinese PSU OEM (Shenzhenshi Jiumeng Electronics Technology Co.,ltd.), who decided to sell their "junk" for the rest of the world. And so, they created the brand Aresgame, and sold PSUs for very cheap prices. Too cheap IMO.
Review of that unit: https://www.tomshardware.com/review...r-supply-review-less-efficient-than-wed-hoped

For good quality PSU, look towards Seasonic Focus/PRIME or Corsair RM/RMi/RMx/HX/HXi/AX/AXi.
(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

Asus X99 pro MOBO is obsolete too except for used ones on Ebay that are asking more for them than they cost new back in the day so looks like I'll be starting from scratch on a new build!!

Yeah, X-series MoBos are a niche. Sure, they do support very high end CPUs (e.g Xeon), but if MoBo happens to die and is EOL (End of Life), you'll be paying arm and a leg for another one. Better to stick with consumer grade B-, H- or Z-series MoBos. Since when you have e.g Z-series MoBo and it dies, you can substitude it with B- or H-series MoBo (within same generation).