Fatma123

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
So my pc keeps on freezing and sometimes restarts randomly and it it froze I have to use the restart button to restart it, i'm clueless I asked in many places ppl cant seem to help me or they just stop responding maybe because they are clueless like me.

The freezing happens randomly
1.while watching youtube
2.Just booted
3.While playing games
4.While surfing the web

sometimes when it freeze I heard a loud buzzing noise in my headset with it.

Troubleshooting that I have done:
1.Scanned the registery
  1. Replaced the power supply
  2. Tried windows on another main drive (my drive is an m.2 and I tried booting from an HDD) still no luck it occured there
  3. Downloaded an antivirus did a scan no luck now im trying another ani-virus but it keeps freezing so I cant do a full scan only a quick one which said there is no issue.
5.Did a memory test no issue in the ram
6.Stressed the cpu and gpu both stayed fine did it couple times froze at some point but I dont believe its from them just that it froze at that time as it is random
7. removed relteak audio drivers and nvidia's as well.

I'm just very clueless and I would appreciate if anyone had a solution.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700
MOBO: Asus prime X-370 pro
Ram: (8x2) G.skill TridentZ - I'm running them on 3000MHz
Gpu: Zotac Nvidia GTX 1070ti
OS Drive: Nvme M.2 crucial 500Gb
PSU: RM650x

I also checked that my windows in up to date and my Nvidia graphics drivers as well.

Solution
First, go to the motherboard product page and make sure you have the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If you do not, then update to the latest version.

Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the correct slots which are the A2 and B2 slots (Called DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 on some boards) which are the second and fourth DIMM slots over from the CPU socket. This is the same for all consumer dual channel DDR3 and DDR4 motherboards without exception that I'm aware of. If the memory is not in those slots, then move it to those slots.

Out of curiosity, you don't happen to be using a Windows installation that was upgraded from an older version of Windows do you?

If none of those solutions help, then I'd remove the CPU cooler and CPU...
I will suggest that you open a YouTube video or something like that then also open the task manager (right click the little bar at the bottom of Windows and select task manager). Keep an eye on your resource usage for CPU, ram etc, and see if these freezes occur at a point when usage is high.
Alternatively, use MSI Afterburner to monitor resource use in game, and see if the freezes occur at either high temperatures or high usage (watching a video to set this up will be useful if you don't know how, it can be quite confusing).

First, go to the motherboard product page and make sure you have the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If you do not, then update to the latest version.

Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the correct slots which are the A2 and B2 slots (Called DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 on some boards) which are the second and fourth DIMM slots over from the CPU socket. This is the same for all consumer dual channel DDR3 and DDR4 motherboards without exception that I'm aware of. If the memory is not in those slots, then move it to those slots.

Out of curiosity, you don't happen to be using a Windows installation that was upgraded from an older version of Windows do you?

If none of those solutions help, then I'd remove the CPU cooler and CPU and check for bent pins on the CPU. This will mean you will need to remove the old thermal paste and install fresh paste, so if you don't have any you'll need to get some. I recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NT-H2, Arctic MX4 or Arctic silver as the best easily available and easy to apply.

Solution

Fatma123

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I will suggest that you open a YouTube video or something like that then also open the task manager (right click the little bar at the bottom of Windows and select task manager). Keep an eye on your resource usage for CPU, ram etc, and see if these freezes occur at a point when usage is high.
Alternatively, use MSI Afterburner to monitor resource use in game, and see if the freezes occur at either high temperatures or high usage (watching a video to set this up will be useful if you don't know how, it can be quite confusing).
Thank you for answering, I watched the task manager while it froze and the temps everything is normal.

Last edited:

Fatma123

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013

If none of those solutions help, then I'd remove the CPU cooler and CPU and check for bent pins on the CPU. This will mean you will need to remove the old thermal paste and install fresh paste, so if you don't have any you'll need to get some. I recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NT-H2, Arctic MX4 or Arctic silver as the best easily available and easy to apply.
My ram seems to be in A1 & B1 so I'll make sure to change them, and nope I'm not using windows that was upgraded from another version. Alright i'll also make sure to try the third recommendation you recommended but i'll have to wait as idk when it will be freezing again. Also, thank you answering!

Last edited:
Alright i'll also make sure to try the third recommendation you recommended but i'll have to wait as idk when it will be freezing again.

I'm actually not too sure what you meant by this, so perhaps you can clarify? I'm guessing you meant that if the other issues don't work, you won't know unless it freezes again and that might take some time. If so, then I do understand. If not, please clarify.

Fatma123

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I'm actually not too sure what you meant by this, so perhaps you can clarify? I'm guessing you meant that if the other issues don't work, you won't know unless it freezes again and that might take some time. If so, then I do understand. If not, please clarify.
yea I meant I wont be able to know if switching the rams would help or not till it freezes again so if did I will try replacing the thermal paste and checking the fans.

I'd suggest that you should clean out all components as you are doing (thermal paste changes), and also give everything a dust down. Once this is done, making sure that you have the RAM in the right places, I'd suggest doing a full virus scan in safe mode (because you said the virus scans normally freeze). If the virus scan works successfully go on to do another one not in safe mode.
If neither work, the problem still persists.
If it only works in safe mode, then it is a driver or Windows issue.
If both work, you are good now, do a stress test to make sure.

Edit: make sure you clean and replace the thermal paste on the coolers on your GPU too.

Fatma123

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I'd suggest that you should clean out all components as you are doing (thermal paste changes), and also give everything a dust down. Once this is done, making sure that you have the RAM in the right places, I'd suggest doing a full virus scan in safe mode (because you said the virus scans normally freeze). If the virus scan works successfully go on to do another one not in safe mode.
If neither work, the problem still persists.
If it only works in safe mode, then it is a driver or Windows issue.
If both work, you are good now, do a stress test to make sure.

Edit: make sure you clean and replace the thermal paste on the coolers on your GPU too.
if none of the things above work ill make sure to do those steps thank youu
and thank you for answering!

It's probably a good idea to go ahead and do full system virus and malware scans anyhow, while it's not freezing, although I really doubt that an infection has anything to do with this type of behavior. Anything is possible, but infections generally WANT your system to stay running so they can carry out their tasks, advance their payloads and spread to other machines if possible. They don't generally want your machine to freeze, although there are certainly a variety of different types of infections out there and some of them are solely intended to cause grief in general so I'd do the scans anyhow if possible.

Fatma123

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
It's probably a good idea to go ahead and do full system virus and malware scans anyhow, while it's not freezing, although I really doubt that an infection has anything to do with this type of behavior. Anything is possible, but infections generally WANT your system to stay running so they can carry out their tasks, advance their payloads and spread to other machines if possible. They don't generally want your machine to freeze, although there are certainly a variety of different types of infections out there and some of them are solely intended to cause grief in general so I'd do the scans anyhow if possible.
alright I'll do one very soon then