[SOLVED] No case fan in bios, Thermaltake commander fp

Feb 12, 2022
So after lots of setbacks I finally finished my build and installed windows.

When I booted up I noticed there was no case fan connected according to the bios?
Fans are spinning but too slow for my liking, want some more airflow.
I'm using
thermaltake commander fp connected to the PSU and motherboard cha_fan2
3 corsair fans pre installed in the 4000x RGB
2 added Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB Elite Performance 120mm PWM Fans
Also connected to the lighting node for rgb control.
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H Gaming

I'll be doing the windows updates and driver updates tomorrow, but don't think that wil fix it.

Anyone any advice what I should do or try?

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Yep, the right one is connected to the motherboard. 👌
It's a separate connection on top while the one's for the fans are on the sides.
i don't mean a 4pin PWM cable running from the hub to the motherboard.

i mean a fan connected to a specific header on the hub/controller itself.
the fan hub will read the stats from this single fan and relay them to the motherboard through it's own cable.

if there is no fan attached to this specific header on the fan hub then it will report 0 RPM(no fan connected) to this motherboard header.
Feb 12, 2022
run ASUS AI Suite III's Fan Xpert and see if it detects any fans connected to motherboard headers.

if your Corsair fans are connected to a Corsair Node then you need iCUE software to control those.

I'll check if they show up in the Asus software, currently going to bed so I'll reply tomorrow if that works.

I guess the iCue software is just for the rgb control?
Just have the corsair lighting node not the commander.

Thanks for helping 👌

I noticed there was no case fan connected according to the bios...
the thermaltake commander fp, thats connected to the cha_fan 2 on the motherboard
each fan hub will have a specific fan slot that needs to be occupied and this fan's RPM reading will be relayed to the motherboard.
if this slot is not occupied it will not detect any fan connected to that particular motherboard header.
make sure you have this lead fan slot occupied.

Feb 12, 2022
each fan hub will have a specific fan slot that needs to be occupied and this fan's RPM reading will be relayed to the motherboard.
if this slot is not occupied it will not detect any fan connected to that particular motherboard header.
make sure you have this lead fan slot occupied.
It's a separate connection on top while the one's for the fans are on the sides.
I have to got to bed now since it's 2:42am here now so I'll check tomorrow after everything is up to date in the Asus software if it reads the fan there.

Thanks for helping this noob, I appreciate it!

the fan hub will read the stats from this single fan and relay them to the motherboard through it's own cable.

if there is no fan attached to this specific header on the fan hub then it will report 0 RPM(no fan connected) to this motherboard header.

Reactions: Lagoyaz
Solution
Feb 12, 2022

Now I understand what you mean, I'll have to check since I didn't pay attention to that.
Thank you, this might be the solition!

Feb 12, 2022
I went back to check it and indeed, I should have connected a fan to the port with gloss finish and all the other ones are matt.
Won't test it now but I suppose this will be the fix I was looking for, rookie mistake I suppose 😅

Thanks again! Probably never would have found that by myself...
Pc isn't connected to anything at the moment so I'll update here tomorrow if it's working but I suppose that will be it 👌

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost
Feb 12, 2022
That fixed my fan problem, just use the right port on the controller and that's it 😅
Thanks again @JohnBonhamsGhost !

I now realise my 2 extra fans that I installed don't have working RGB, was probably so tired that I didn't realise.
I got a feeling the fans in the 4000x and the 2 Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB Elite Performance 120mm PWM Fans are not compatible in the same lighting node.
I remeber searching about this and read that all the rgb SP fans should work with the 4000x but turns out that might be wrong...

Feb 12, 2022
fans connected to the Corsair Node need to be in a particular order or they do not get recognized.
make sure there are no blank headers between any of the fans and they are connected in order; 1, 2, 3, 4, etc...

Had to check to be sure, but they follow the numbering on the controller.
Switched them up to be sure that doesn't work either but no luck.
They are the same as in the case so they should work as far as I understand...?

I've sent a email to Corsair and posted on their forum as well.
Not sure what else could be wrong?

Thanks for your help again!

Not sure what else could be wrong?
not what you'd hope to hear but i have a Corsair Node that also failed.
had 4x QL120 connected and they worked fine for a short period of time.

after ~3 weeks they only showed an odd pink color no matter what setting was used.
eventually only 2x of them would show any color at all.
connecting them to other headers and they worked fine.

was a review item so Corsair wouldn't offer any replacement Node, but hopefully they would for you.

Reactions: Lagoyaz
Feb 12, 2022
not what you'd hope to hear but i have a Corsair Node that also failed.
had 4x QL120 connected and they worked fine for a short period of time.

after ~3 weeks they only showed an odd pink color no matter what setting was used.
eventually only 2x of them would show any color at all.
connecting them to other headers and they worked fine.

was a review item so Corsair wouldn't offer any replacement Node, but hopefully they would for you.

I hope it isn't broken before I even got to use it, that would suck.
If it is broken they better replace it, don't even have the case a week yet...

Really appreciate you taking all this time to help me man 👌