No CD Drive letter...

Got Winxp home edition. My CD Drive does not show up in my cmoputer and in
device manager i get the message that though the driver is installed the
hardware cannot be found.. Code #4 or #41. I installed Norton System Works
2005 and some other computer fix me up, and had to uninstall both,, now I
have no cd drive.....thought about changing the reg and so on but can't
remember the command. System restore is not helping won't restore and won't
Got any fixes without having to take it back to Gateway?? it's a 2002 machine.
Thanks - Doug
--
Just the facts

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:05:06 -0800, "Trudoug" <dugy01@msn.com> wrote:

>Got Winxp home edition. My CD Drive does not show up in my cmoputer and in
>device manager i get the message that though the driver is installed the
>hardware cannot be found.. Code #4 or #41. I installed Norton System Works
>2005 and some other computer fix me up, and had to uninstall both,, now I
>have no cd drive.....thought about changing the reg and so on but can't
>remember the command. System restore is not helping won't restore and won't
>Got any fixes without having to take it back to Gateway?? it's a 2002 machine.
>Thanks - Doug

Did you also happen to uninstall some CD Burning software?

Open Regedit, and navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Verify over in the right pane that you're looking at your CD drives.

Check for values named:
Lowerfilters
Upperfilters

If found, delete them. Reboot your system, and see if your drives have
reappeared.

The MS article about this is here:

Jumpy mouse? Is it plugged into the wrong port? Did you scan for viruses
and spyware? Does it happen in Safe Mode?

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/