No center channel or subwoofer sound from Realtek HD Audio

Bister Mungle

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Hello,

I'm trying to set up 5.1 audio in my home theater, but I'm having some trouble.

I'm using the onboard Realtek HD Audio on my Asus M3N78-EM motherboard and a Logitech G51 5.1 surround sound speaker system. The problem is that I don't hear any sound from the center channel or subwoofer when I set the output to 5.1 surround in the Realtek HD Audio Manager.

I've verified that these speakers do work by plugging them into the left and right speaker outputs, and I hear sound from them when the system is set to other output settings in my video player software (2.1, etc.).

However, it might be telling that when I click on the speaker icons to play a test sound:

http://skitch.com/troywarr/d1dpd/realtek-hd-audio

I don't hear anything. I do hear the test sound from the front and rear channel speaker pairs. This suggests to me that, for one reason or another, the Realtek software/driver either isn't recognizing the center channel and subwoofer, or maybe isn't even trying to use them.

I've done all that I can to troubleshoot this, but I'm not that knowledgeable about audio setup, nor the Realtek HD Audio Manager software. I've toggled every setting that I can find, cycled through the different Matrix modes on the Logitech controller pod, and tried fiddling with the audio settings in the two video players that I use (VLC Media Player and ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre).

Can anyone offer any guidance or ideas? Thanks in advance for any help!

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
try swapping the inputs of sub and teh centre, the other way around, some dude was mentioning about how vista and se7en got it wrong way round of something. that is asseuming your using vista or se7en

clemOB

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
I've had a similar problem to which the (half)solution was something like that too. In order to get any sound out of my logitech 5.1, I had to switch two of the colored cables, and change the input from side to front speakers in realtek's sound manager.

Currently, when I do the test for the speakers, only the front and center/sub speakers make a sound and only the front when 'matrix' is on. However, when playing music or watching any video, its full working surround. The only issue I'm having is the lack of almost all sound in COD Black Ops, and just the dialogue in some other games.

recojohnson

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

Set the settings to this in VLC Media Player while having your speaker system set to 5.1
http://i.imgur.com/Xs6dILY.png

Predrag Vuksanovic

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
I have a problem with my RealTek 5.1 card.
Central speaker and subwoofer not work because Windows automatically configure audio settings, and problem was in that, Windows 7 and 8 too, my center speaker and subwoofer identifies as Microphone, and all I need to do is to pull pink (in my case) jack out and put it back.
After that, Windows ask me what is that (what I pushed in) and I click on Center and Subfoower check box and press OK.

raphaelmitas

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013

thank you but in my case it didn't asked wich one it is so i put it instead in the orange jack and it worked :D

saltpeter

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
I've been having the same problem. It started when I found an option in my control panel>sound to change my speaker setup to 5.1. It had been set on Stereo. When I changed it to 5.1 only the L and R and Subwoof speakers worked. I went through every setting I could to try to get the Centre and Surround to no avail. Finally, I put it back on Stereo because that had seemed better, and all of a sudden surround 5.1 was working. I'm not sure if the settings are somehow reversed on my machine, or maybe it has something to do with too many cooks in the kitchen (i.e. too many different devices trying to define my speaker set up) but it worked. Important note: the 5.1 works on Standard Surround Dolby PLIIX Movie. It did not work on Audio Direct/Auto Surround.

Mr_Mustard

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014
After messing around with my audio driver I think I've figured it out, in order to get the sound to work, you have to tell the Realtek audio driver that the device you are plugging in is a front speaker out, that's what worked for me anyway...

Floplip

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
Hi, I know it is a little bit late (like 2 years xD), but I had the same problem today and I managed to fix it. If you want to use a 2.1 setup, you need to go to the 5.1 setup, uncheck the things you don't have and go to your inputs. You should have 2 cables plugged in. In order to use the subwoofer, I right-clicked the subwoofer input to access Connector Retasking. To fix the problem you are facing, you simply need to change the subwoofer port to the same port as the other input. I had my 2 boxes on Front Speaker Out port, so I had to set my subwoofer port to the Front Speaker Out port. I hope this still helps somebody ;)

Julien_26

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016

What do I do with the third cable coming from my subwoofer then?

rafnat.21

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017

Hi Floplip, It only shows me that I have one cable: the green one in back panel. So there is only one cable I can click on and access Connector Retasking... Which steps do I have to take. Thanks in advance. P.s. the speaker system I have: Logitech z623

Latest posts